Cayo Levantado Travel Answers

change location
Cruiseone2003's Profile Photo

schedule and things to do.

by Cruiseone2003 Online Now Feb 5, 2008 at 3:30 PM

Hello, I'm coming to Cayo Levantado by Cruise ship around Christmas time I'm wondering if there is a schedule for this boat. I'm looking for something to see and do for the day with my family and 2 nephews ages 8 and 13. Also, are there any places to go to where the locals go? I speak Spanish and like to see what a town is like through the eyes of a local vs tourist. Any companies that have a car with driver?

Thank you,

David

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • marielexoteria's Profile Photo

Re: schedule and things to do.

by marielexoteria Online Now Feb 5, 2008 at 11:29 PM

When you ask for boat schedule, you mean your cruise ship or any ferries going to the mainland? How long are you staying in Cayo Levantado btw?

I might be wrong but Cayo Levantado is a tiny island and all you can do there is enjoy the beaches. Probably there are women cooking food for those who visit on tours from the closest little town called Samaná. There you can enjoy more beaches or take a hike to El Limón waterfall (offered by many tourist operators at the hotels).

I'm going over there (Samaná) this weekend and I'll find out for you how to get to the mainland and about hiring a driver.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer

by marielexoteria Online Now Feb 5, 2008 at 11:32 PM

Additionally, you could read what other VT'ers did when they visited Cayo Levantado at Cayo Levantado Travel Guide

• Cruiseone2003's Profile Photo

by Cruiseone2003 Online Now Feb 7, 2008 at 11:57 AM

Thank you, I have read up on what was posted for Cayo and Samana'. I'm only going to be there for the day, arriving by cruise ship, but I saw something about a smaller ferry going to other destinations. I like going to the beach but when I travel I much prefer living as the locals do, hablando con la gente y mejorando mi Espanol!

by marielexoteria Online Now Feb 24, 2008 at 8:43 AM

Hola! As far as I saw, there are small "yolas" (sort of like fishermen boats but with a motor) that go between the mainland and Cayo Levantado, but what I didn't get a straight answer about was if you could talk to one at CL and arrange him to pick you up in Samaná at a certain hour or if you have to go to the mainland and arrange this. However, since you speak Spanish there's no doubt you'll find someone willing to take you guys there and back. And remember, haggling is a must there!

I hope you like it :)

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines