I'm off to Hotel Melia Cayo Coco with my partner 21 January, and I want to do some fishing although it's not purely a fishing holiday. I've never done anything like this sort of fishing before.
I've read the query from juneboulton (25oct10) and the reply from ozzb1 (05nov10). Both should now be back from their recent trips. I'd appreciate anything they could add to ozzb1's helpful suggestions, based on their recent experiences, and of course anything that any other member would care to offer. I intend to take an 8-wt 9' fly rod (plus poss 6-wt for backup in case of accident) with pike/bass type flies and a 10' spinning rod with poppers and possibly other stuff.
Suggestions would be appreciated re:
- terminal tackle for bait fishing, braided line vs monofil, and what sort of strength, obtaining dead bait, etc
- landing net?
- getting to other nearby 'well worth it' locations including inland channels and lagoons, bridges on causeways
- up-to-date info on boat trips and guides for shore fishing (but I can't spend a lot)
- can you get caught fish cooked at the hotel and, assuming you do well, can you give fish to the hotel kitchen and or individual local people?
- what about mosquitoes and other precautions/risks while fishing, in addition to the obvious sun exposure
I hope juneboulton and ozzb1 and respective partners had really good trips.