Cayman Islands Travel Answers

change location

rainy/hurricane season

by Xenawantsapony Online Now Jan 18, 2011 at 10:25 AM

Hello,
My husband and I are considering visiting Grand Cayman with our 1 year old. We would likely stay at the Morritt's resort on the opposite side of the island from 7 mile beach. There are some openings in September but we understand that this is generally the rainy season (and of course hurricane season). We are wondering how much it actually rains. Since we'll have a small child we don't want to be cooped up in our unit most of the day, nor do we want to be hanging out on the beach in the rain. Can anyone tell me what it's usually like? We've been the island in May when it was completely dry with only a few showers at rum point (seemed to be the only place on the island getting the showers at that time). It's our understanding that the side of the island we are considering is also generally wetter. Any thoughts or recommendations would be appreciated.

Quote & Answer
7 Answers
  • xymmot's Profile Photo

Re: rainy/hurricane season

by xymmot Online Now Jan 18, 2011 at 10:39 AM

global warming makes my predicting the weather harder. Just the floods in Brazil and Queensland is a shocker this year...i couldn't have predicted that, but if what you heard is true in September that it is rainy season there, I predict that it will rain there 3 out of seven days, but a act of God can happen anytime.

cheers tommy x

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • ricky52's Profile Photo

by ricky52 Online Now Jan 18, 2011 at 5:55 PM

Due to extreme climatic changes the World is experiencing at the moment, trying to predict the weather can be difficult because of local, on the day variations.
    Most places now are seeing weather conditions well outside the norm.
    The information below should be used as a guide only.

Here is the average weather for George Town for this time of year.
    Enjoy your holiday.

September.
    High 89f / 32c
    Low 77f / 25c
    Rain 8.20in / 208.0mm
    Rain days 16
    Hours of sun 8
    Daylight hours 12
    UV level 11 = Extreme
    Humidity = Very High
    Sea temp 85f / 29c

• xymmot's Profile Photo

by xymmot Online Now Jan 18, 2011 at 6:00 PM

but they are going in September....can you ask God to please give them good weather ricky? I think you're closer to him than I am,

cheers tommy x

• Odinnthor's Profile Photo

by Odinnthor Online Now Jan 18, 2011 at 7:47 PM

Well like Rickey said, weather is likely more unpredictable now that it was in the past. However, it is certainly possible to gauge the weather by studying the past. Here is what they say in the Caymans about September. It is not gospel, but it is certainly in the ballpark.

caymanislands-guide.info/wea...

• Odinnthor's Profile Photo

by Odinnthor Online Now Jan 18, 2011 at 7:48 PM

Well like Rickey said, weather is likely more unpredictable now that it was in the past. However, it is certainly possible to gauge the weather by studying the past. Here is what they say in the Caymans about September. It is not gospel, but it is certainly in the ballpark.

caymanislands-guide.info/wea...

• Bilimari's Profile Photo

by Bilimari Online Now Jan 19, 2011 at 6:17 AM

Hi, while it is difficult to predict the weather pattern, the hurricane season usually includes September.
    I was there last September (3rd week). Fortunately it didn't storm while we were there, but rained every day (not all day, which was good) because a hurricane was coming closer.
    If you decide to go there in September, it would be a good idea to purchase travel insurance, which covers the cancellation due to the weather, like hurricane.

• Testudo's Profile Photo

by Testudo Online Now Jan 19, 2011 at 5:20 PM

September is historically a "rainy" month due to hurricane and tropical storms adding to the average rainfall amounts. Mid-late October to mid-December are the real rainy season months. Take a look at the daily calendar of actual weather from September of 2010 and you can see the precipitation amounts by day. There were 2 days with over 1 inch of rain, the other "rainy" days had no or barley any precipitation.

wunderground.com/history/sta...

As other have stated, can it rain for days on end? Sure. But that is not likely. As you have experienced, rain can be coming down cats and dogs over one section of the island while another (hopefully where you are) remained perfectly dry and sunny. That's the tropics.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Cayman Islands Travel Answer Locations