Caye Caulker Travel Answers

change location

Water taxi info

by MsP57 Online Now Aug 2, 2007 at 7:33 AM

Wondering about details of the water taxi boats: How many water taxi companies are there? Size of engines,etc. Are there many repair shops there? Seriously considering moving there and need to know if work will be available...propeller repairs.

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • Neb2489's Profile Photo

Re: Water taxi info

by Neb2489 Online Now Aug 20, 2007 at 1:58 PM

I have no idea what the competition would be like in the repair business - however, there are many water taxis running back and forth between all of the numerous cayes and Belize City. I was on Ambergris Caye and Caye Caulker, and on both islands, there would always be at least 2 (usually more) water taxis running at any given time. The same was true for the water taxi dock in Belize City.
    Most of the boats that I saw were using between 2 and 4 Yamaha 250 (four stroke I think) outboards.
    Hope that helps!
    (also, I don't know how well a job such as that would pay there - I know that in most job areas pay is lower there compared to say the United States or most of Europe...but I guess real-estate and such is cheaper too. Something to check into at least)

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Neb2489's Profile Photo

Re: Water taxi info

by Neb2489 Online Now Aug 20, 2007 at 2:01 PM

I forgot to say, those figures were from when I was there in early August (the slow season) - so there may be even more boats running when tourism picks up in the winter, but Ive always went in the summer when tourism is slow and things are cheaper so I cant say for sure.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines