Caye Caulker Travel Answers

change location

Swimming / beaches

by cjtalley Online Now Jul 12, 2007 at 12:54 PM

Hi, I am looking for a not-so-incredibly-expensive beach destination for a family of five, including a 16-year-old and two 11-year-olds. Caye Caulker in Belize sounds beautiful and inexpensive, but I can't seem to find any information on swimming. Everything is about snorkeling or diving. Are the beaches swim-friendly? My kids will want to be out in the water. Thanks.

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • obyjuan's Profile Photo

Re: Swimming / beaches

by obyjuan Online Now Jul 12, 2007 at 5:35 PM

Go to the Dominican Republic. All inclusives..Punta Cana. Can't go wrong.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • sadie_sq's Profile Photo

by sadie_sq Online Now Jul 13, 2007 at 5:12 AM

There is one area where you can swim, but it is not a beach per se, with a sandy decline into the water. It is at "the split" where the island was split into to during hurricane hattie. The actual split is used by boats, so most people don't swim right there, but instead swim over on the side. There is a restaurant/bar there (kid friendly) and a concrete peir of sorts. A ladder lets you get in and out of the water easily and the water is clear and extends a while before getting dark and deep. This is only fun for awhile, definetly do snorkeling trips.

• RBCal's Profile Photo

by RBCal Online Now Jul 13, 2007 at 8:28 AM

The beaches off the Cayes in Belize are shallow and full of sea grass. Ambergris has better beaches than Caulker but both are not great for swimming. The reef is a mile or less from shore and this is where most people snorkel.

• AKJ1's Profile Photo

by AKJ1 Online Now Jul 16, 2007 at 12:41 PM

You've pretty much got the straight answer on the swimming. You may or may not feel comfortable with them swimming at the split. If you're expecting a big east coast type beach, you'll be disappointed. The snorkeling, on the other hand, is great but its on the reef. The kayaking also seems pretty good.

If you'd like to see pictures, click on my name (AKJ1) and you should see a link to our site. We've been there 3 times and love it. At the site, click on Trip Reports / Belize. You should see 3 different Caye Caulker reports. Each has links to the pictures.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines