Caye Caulker Travel Answers

change location

Has anyone stayed next to the airstrip in Caye Caulker?

by bella_luna Online Now Dec 21, 2006 at 10:47 AM

Hi!
I was curious what the water and weather was like, and if there were any cool places on that end to lay in the sand and relax. Is it noisy by the airstrip? Everyone talks about The Split...does this mean that the other side of the island is not beautiful? I am going in January, any tips?

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • bminorca's Profile Photo

RE: Has anyone stayed next to the airstrip in Caye Caulker?

by bminorca Online Now Dec 21, 2006 at 10:32 PM

The weather is tropical. The water is Caribbean-like blue-green. Whether it is noisy depends on how close it is to the airstrip. The Split is a watery passage created in 1961 by Hurricane Hattie. The other side is a Marine Reserve. I suppose it is beautiful too. But it is swampy and few people go there.

Check out
    http://www.gocayecaulker.com
    http://cayecaulker.org

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • AKJ1's Profile Photo

RE: Has anyone stayed next to the airstrip in Caye Caulker?

by AKJ1 Online Now Dec 22, 2006 at 6:09 AM

We stayed down there below the airport in 2005. We really liked it. The airport closes early enough that there isn't any evening noise. There isn't a lot of beach anywhere down there. Some of the places where you could stay have beaches, though.

You have to walk to town to get dinner. I don't know how far it is. We just enjoyed the walk and breezes.

The split is as far up the island as you can walk. Very pretty. We usually walked up there before heading back to our place.

Here's a link to a trip report and pictures from that trip. It explains where we stayed and who we rented it from. There are a bunch of pictures from that area.

alandsuejohnson.com/caye_cau...

If you want to see the 2006 pictures, click the up botton.

We're going back in February

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines