Castellina in Chianti Travel Answers

change location

WOHNMOBIL - STELLPLATZ

by hakangullander Online Now Aug 24, 2011 at 6:09 AM

Gibt es in Castellina ein Stellplatz für Wohnmobil oder muss man auf ein Camping bleiben.
Andere Stellplätze in Toscana???
Vilen Dank im voraus
Håkan

Quote & Answer
7 Answers
  • mccalpin's Profile Photo

Re: WOHNMOBIL - STELLPLATZ

by mccalpin Online Now Aug 24, 2011 at 8:44 AM

For our English-speaking VTers who may have information on this subject, I believe the question is:
    "Is there a place to park RVs (British: caravan?) in Castellina in Chianti, or do you have to stay at a campsite? Are there other places to park RVs in Tuscany? Thanks in advance. Håkan"

I wish I had the answer, but it's hard to imagine a place to park RVs inside a small Italian town...but who knows, maybe some one will come up with a great solution...

P.S. if someone knows a better translation for "Wohnmobil" than RV or caravan, please let me know...

Bill

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • domenicococozza's Profile Photo

by domenicococozza Online Now Aug 24, 2011 at 9:00 AM

Hi Bill,
    I believe another word for a wohnmobil is a camper van.

by mccalpin Online Now Aug 24, 2011 at 10:19 AM

Is a "caravan" in British English a camper van or RV? I've always been confused about British words that describe things that I don't know anything about anyway ;-)

Bill

• domenicococozza's Profile Photo

by domenicococozza Online Now Aug 24, 2011 at 11:19 AM

Haha,
    I'm afraid we have some rather stange names for things in the UK.
    The iconic American RV is probably somewhat more luxurious than the British/European camper van, and generally larger, but you get the idea.
    One example of a campe van that comes to mind is the VW that was so loved of the hippies in the '60's which they would paint in psychedelic colours and cover in adhesive flowers.
    A caravan is a non motorised travelling home, towed behind a vehicle.

by mccalpin Online Now Aug 24, 2011 at 12:35 PM

Ah, hence camper van being a good literal translation for Wohnmobil!

Yeah, although I've seen these towed things, I don't think they're all that common in the US, compared to recreation vehicles...

Thanks!

Bill

• Re: WOHNMOBIL - STELLPLATZ

by hakangullander Online Now Aug 25, 2011 at 10:53 AM

Of course I did not mean exactly in the middle of the town, I understand that many of the towns in Toscana are too narrow for normal cars and of course for bigger vehicles, but within walking distance to the city.
    Håkan

by mccalpin Online Now Aug 25, 2011 at 11:22 AM

No, I imagine you are looking for a municipal parking lot on the edge of town, which is a common feature in many towns...the problem is whether or not you're allowed to park a Wohnmobil in one of these lots, or if there even are any such lots in Castellina in Chianti...while I'm used to them in places like Assisi which has a lot of tourist traffic and also bans non-residents from driving in the city (hence the need for municipal lots), a smaller town like Chiusi had no such lots and I ended up parking in a vacant lot next to the ruins of a building.

I did earlier do a quick search (as I assume that you also did), and the closest place that I found was a camping site quite some distance away, not what you want.

Well, tell you what, have you contacted the local tourist office? See
    comune.castellina.si.it/en/n...
    With luck, they'll get you a reliable answer...I basically got involved here to make sure that your posting reached a broader audience (I hadn't yet seen your earlier posting in English, which was for all of Tuscany anyway)...

Good luck!

Bill

P.S. I am glad you posted in German...my Swedish is non-existent ;-)

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Castellina in Chianti