Castellina in Chianti Travel Answers

change location

Restaurants

by zeoguy Online Now Sep 7, 2010 at 12:01 PM

We will be just outside of Castellina in Chianti from October 9 to October 23. Please recommend restaurants in all prices.

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • Beausoleil's Profile Photo

Re: Restaurants

by Beausoleil Online Now Sep 7, 2010 at 1:58 PM

In the area we've enjoyed
    Greve-in-Chianti, the Bottega del Moro chianti.info/restaurants/Mor...

in Montefioralle, the Taverna del Guerrino
    greve-in-chianti.com/restaur...

in San Polo, Paglietta's Ristorante on the road between San Polo and Strada-in-Chianti

in Panzano, the Trattoria Oltre il Giardino on a hilltop with great views

a little farther out is Montalcino and Osteria al Giardino in the Pze. Garibaldi

Type the names of the towns you want to visit into the VT Search Window above and look at the restaurant Tips. There will be reviews, photos and web sites to help you make your choices. There are an amazing number of really good restaurants in all price ranges there.

Enjoy your trip.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • alza's Profile Photo

Re: Restaurants

by alza Online Now Sep 7, 2010 at 2:59 PM

hi Zeo,
    I was in Castellina and all over Chianti in June & have a few good memories where food is concerned.

lucky you to spend time in Castellina! good art place, modern sculpted fountains, relaxed folks, the spirit of Léo Ferré lives on.
    You will certainly see via delle Volte often (excellent shops for authentic olive oil, art, etc.) so there, you'll find a good restaurant:

Restaurant Wine Bar Sotto Le Volte
    Via delle Volte, 14/16
    Castellina in Chianti (SI)
    Tel & Fax 0577 0558530
    sottolevoltecastellina@gmail.com

Cheese & sauces (all the trend in Tuscany/Lazio these days, often also honeys, very good all)
    Rabbit with herbs
    Tagliata di manzo (Yum!!) with salad & grana padano. I wrote about tagliata under Restaurant Il Doganiere Rousseau on Lucca page if you're interested.

Filet of beef with Colonnata lard (a Tuscan specialty, IGP (Protected Geographical Label) from Massa I think.
    V. good antipasti
    Carpaccio of salmon with orange
    various bruschette toscane, very good too.

lunch Noon to 14.30 hrs
    Dinner 19.00 to 22.00 hrs
    Closed Wednesday

on my way to Castellina, I did a tasting at Barone Ricasoli Estate at Castello di Broglio (between Gaiole & Castelnuovo Berardenga.)
    Wonderful site, good professional reception & of course great wines. + gifts.
    Right beside the tasting building, in a woodsy area towards the Château, there's a nice place with huge terrace that serves light lunches. I really enjoyed mine. Can't be rushed though, this is total relaxation place! :)

I also went to Badia a Coltibuono, a renowned place for food lovers, but didn't like the atmosphere, it was all hush hush reverential, as though we should fall on our knees for being in such a temple, and the place felt cold. Worse was there were two men on tractors right beside the terrace, turning the beautiful fields into perfect suburbian lawns... Anyway, your choice of course. I'm sure their food must be good. I walked into the restaurant and all the way to the kitchen, the young man in apron looked clean and smart, the place was spotless. Restaurant inside was empty though, there were a few Americans partying on the terrace. Must say their collection of wall faïence plates is superb!

Buon viaggio!

• An Awesome Restaurant Close By

by ccordoba Online Now Sep 9, 2010 at 8:47 AM

Hopefully you will be driving. Radda in Chianti is quite near Castellina. There is a restaurant there called Le Vigne. We have been there three times in the past several years on our travels to Tuscany; and each time has been incredible. It is "medium" priced. It is right off of the main road, down a little gravel driveway and overlooks vineyards and olive groves and is very romantic. Enjoy. We will be there Oct 28th this year; otherwise we would invite you to join us there.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Castellina in Chianti