Cashel Travel Answers

change location

Where to stay the night near Rock of Cashel

by m&moschmann Online Now Aug 15, 2010 at 5:04 PM

My husband & I,first timers to Ireland, will be leaving Kilkenny on a Wed. 9/9, and will drive to Rock of Cashel. Not knowing how long the drive will take or the best roads to take, should we plan on staying in town nearby, i.e. Caher, or Cashel itself? The day after we plan to drive to Waterford.

I was thinking of driving from Kilkenny on N76 to N24 to N8.
thanks to anyone who can comment.
Melinda

Quote & Answer
19 Answers
  • poppy6488's Profile Photo

Re: Where to stay the night near Rock of Cashel

by poppy6488 Online Now Aug 15, 2010 at 6:37 PM

Hello again Melinda.

You might want to check out the AA Ireland Route planner. This will give accurate information about routes and estimated timings.

http://www.aaireland.ie/routes_beta/

I don't know Cahir and have only passed through Cashel so I can't really comment, but you could look at this site for more ideas.

www.ireland-withpatpreston.com/cashel_​cahir_hotels.htm

Once you ARE in Ireland,from the staff at the airport, to the folk on the street, you will find people are friendly and generaly happy to help with advice and/or directions. So don't feel too overwhelmed by all this planning!
    I have answered your email also.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Aug 16, 2010 at 1:01 AM

Definitely use the AA site given above. But always add a bit more to the estimated timings to allow for traffic congestion, slow traffic, roadworks, stopping for coffee, admiring the scenery etc! :-)

• annemariebyrne's Profile Photo

by annemariebyrne Online Now Aug 16, 2010 at 2:45 AM

After you have visited Cashel you could head south to Clonmel for your overnight stay. This would give you a chance to see more of Tipperary but you would be much closer to Waterford for your drive the following day. Accomodation at Mulcahy's pub in the centre of town www.mulcahys.ie or at the Clonmel Park Hotel on the outskirts (good for parking), www.clonmelparkhotel.ie

by annemariebyrne Online Now Aug 16, 2010 at 2:49 AM

While in Co Tipperary you might consider a visit to Cahir Castle, see: heritageireland.ie/en/south-...

• Waoife's Profile Photo

by Waoife Online Now Aug 16, 2010 at 3:01 AM

The Cashel Palace right in the centre of Cashel is good for food or an over night stay.

It shouldn't take much longer than an hour to drive from Kilkenny to Cashel - unless of course you plan to stop along the route!!

Cashel to Waterford is probably about a 2 hour drive.

As others have said, Cahir castle is worth a visit - as are the Mitchelstown Caves, which are around 10 minutes south of Cahir.

Have a great trip :)

• alan1972's Profile Photo

by alan1972 Online Now Aug 16, 2010 at 1:23 PM

If anything I like Cahir more than Cashel as a town to stay in. Apart from the castle, there is a nice short walk along the river bank to the "Swiss Cottage". But there isn't as wide a choice of accommodation as in Cashel.

• sandyn's Profile Photo

by sandyn Online Now Aug 17, 2010 at 12:24 PM

Hi!
    We stayed at the Cashel Palace Hotel and loved it. Did you know that it is the former Bishop's residence, and that Guinness was first brewed here for the bishop? They even have hops bushes that are either descendants of the originals or the originals themselves--I forget the story. They have an amazing pub in the hotel, which over the years has been visited by countless celebrities from all over the world for many many years, and who have autographed the walls on their visits. It's really fun to see who has been there. It's a short walk up to Cashel right next to the hotel. Have fun!

• Re: Where to stay the night near Rock of Cashel

by m&moschmann Online Now Aug 17, 2010 at 12:26 PM

Thank you so much for the direction to the route planner. I got busy the last couple days with a work project, so I haven't been able to go on it. But this is exactly what I need to review, also for best routes from Kilkenny to Cashel, etc.

I'll let you know how it worked for me. I'm getting excited now.

• sandyn's Profile Photo

by sandyn Online Now Aug 17, 2010 at 12:34 PM

Hi!
    We stayed at the Cashel Palace Hotel and loved it. Did you know that it is the former Bishop's residence, and that Guinness was first brewed here for the bishop? They even have hops bushes that are either descendants of the originals or the originals themselves--I forget the story. They have an amazing pub in the hotel, which over the years has been visited by countless celebrities from all over the world for many many years, and who have autographed the walls on their visits. It's really fun to see who has been there. It's a short walk up to Cashel right next to the hotel. Have fun!

by m&moschmann Online Now Aug 17, 2010 at 12:47 PM

Thank you Anne Marie,
    I would've had no idea to stay in that town. My husband will be golfing the next day at Dunnmore East outside of Waterford, but probably after lunch. Is the scenary of Tipperary nicer than Waterford? Is there another site we should see in that area before going to Waterford?

Melinda

by m&moschmann Online Now Aug 17, 2010 at 1:01 PM

Well Annemarie, I didn't read forward enough to see this last tip, I asked in my last reply is there another site to see before going to Waterford. I have a map and see Cahir Castle. I love castles, so thanks for this important tip.

by m&moschmann Online Now Aug 17, 2010 at 1:05 PM

Thanks for the tip. This is better than a travel agent! Good to know I can make it from Kilkenny to Cashel in 1 hour, not sure which road to take though, there are so many in the area between the 2 towns. any suggestions there?
    Melinda

by m&moschmann Online Now Aug 17, 2010 at 1:09 PM

Hi Sandyn,
    these tips are all so great, and I'm sure will make our visit much more enjoyable. You never know where the interesting pubs are unless you ask, but this forum is more than I expected.

If you ever come to California, pls let me know, and I'll offer tips too (but traffic here is probably the worse in the world!)
    Melinda

by annemariebyrne Online Now Aug 17, 2010 at 3:39 PM

Melinda, to get the most out of your brief visit to Tipperary maybe you could visit the hotel in Cashel for lunch and a look around before travelling on to Cahir and/or Clonmel? Mitchelstown Caves are worth a look too as suggested above. Also there's a little hidden gem in Clonmel called St Patrick's Well, near the Clonmel Park Hotel, it's open all hours so maybe an evening visit just before sunset would be nice. Looks like you'll be spoiled for choice really but given the limitations of time. The scenery in both Tipperary and Waterford is wonderful so I wouldn't want to choose between them!

by annemariebyrne Online Now Aug 17, 2010 at 3:41 PM

Link for St Patrick's well:clonmel.info/gallery/stpatri...

by m&moschmann Online Now Aug 22, 2010 at 5:24 PM

Hi, been away from this site for few days, got busy preparing for trip. I'm going to take your advise, and stay in Clonmel at mulcahy's pub, also go to the well, see the castle, then try to make it to the caves also.

Not sure if you can tell me this, but as we'll be there around Sept. 5 - 10, will it be very cold? Only at night maybe, cool during day? Of course I live in Southern California, and it's very hot here until Oct. & then it's only slightly cool. Will sweaters at nite do or do I need heavy jacket?

by annemariebyrne Online Now Aug 22, 2010 at 6:05 PM

Hi Melinda, That's great, I hope you get enough time to enjoy everything! As you probably know the weather in Ireland can be very unpredicable, some say you can get four seasons in one day! Generally September is not too cold but you would certainly need a jacket in the evening, something equivalent to an average hiking jacket would be ideal, not too heavy but wind and waterproof. A scarf is also useful at all times! If it's any help, the average temp for September is about 15C (or 60F) but we can never tell in advance for sure. AM

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Aug 22, 2010 at 10:44 PM

Agree entirely....there is no way of knowing, in Ireland or in the UK. But you are more likely to feel it 'cold' than we who are used to less pleasant temperatures.

Do bring a good waterproof jacket, and clothes you can layer (temps can vary substantially within each day, let alone from day to day). A pashmina/scarf for your neck is always useful, even in 'summer', as annemaire notes. Sensibel shoes too; nothing is more unpleasant than wet feet (but also bring some lighter shoes, because it may not rain every day...or even at all!).

You can get a rough idea of climate averages here:

met.ie/climate/30year-averag...

by m&moschmann Online Now Aug 24, 2010 at 10:52 PM

Thanks again Anne Marie, helpful description.
    We are having our end of summer heat wave here,102degrees in day,90 at night. I'm taking comfort,sturdy shoes over style. I need to remember to get reservations to Bru na Boinne, as I hear it sells out. That's where we're going our first full day there.
    Getting excited now.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines