Cascais Travel Answers

change location

Driving around Cascais

by cyke Online Now Oct 27, 2004 at 10:52 PM

Hi everyone, I've heard so many horror stories about driving around Portugal (eg. speeding, lack of lane discipline, high road fatalities, thieves targeting rental cars). I will be going to Cascais this December, and intended to drive a rental car around places like Sintra, Evora, Mafra, etc. I've having some doubts now though... I was wondering if anyone had driven around this region before and could help me confirm/dispell the "truths" of those stories I've heard. Any advice on driving and parking around these regions during that period would also be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot!

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • leffe3's Profile Photo

Re: Driving around Cascais

by leffe3 Online Now Oct 28, 2004 at 12:53 AM

Can't say I've heard or seen such things and have driven round Portugal heaps of times. You get the odd bad driver as you would anywhere esle. BUt nothing out of the ordinary. For sure, be careful with things left in the cars - but I'd say that to a local as much as a tourist anywhere in the world. The perfect way to get to the areas you are talking is to drive yourself. The hillside roads from Lisbon to Sintra and surrounds, the coastal roads in and around Guincho. Towns such as Obidos north of Lisbon etc. Go with your original plan...

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Driving around Cascais

by AnnaMark Online Now Oct 31, 2004 at 3:54 AM

Hello!! the main problem is that they drive really fast, like they're always in a hurry to arrive somewhere, but if you''ll be careful i'm sure that nothing will happens. About thieves targeting rental cars i'n afraid to tell you that it did happened with us in the centre of Cascais where we stayed for the 2 first nights, and it's one of the reasons that make us looked for another place to stay, and we found it, really close to Guincho beach, 5 minutes from Cascais, inside the natural park and where the car was safe. About parking the car you'll find lot's of places, eventhough you've to pay some of them. Hope to have helped you, enjoy the place!!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines