Cartagena Travel Answers

change location
johnrothbauer's Profile Photo

What is in walking distance from the port?

by johnrothbauer Online Now Oct 14, 2012 at 9:27 AM

Will be in Cartagena for one day in November. Is shopping, beaches, etc. within walking distance from where ship will be docked? Any suggestions for a 5 hour window?

Quote & Answer
13 Answers
  • johnrothbauer's Profile Photo

Re: What is in walking distance from the port?

by johnrothbauer Online Now Oct 14, 2012 at 9:43 AM

Thanks for your help. Is the old town in walking distance? Approximate miles? How are the beaches and are they close by?

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • TexasDave's Profile Photo

by TexasDave Online Now Oct 14, 2012 at 10:18 AM

We were there for a day also, one of the stops on our cruise,and the ship didn't dock within walking distance to anywhere. Cabs were very cheap however and after a little bargaining we got a taxi driver to be our guide for the whole time we were there and got to see most of the old city. It was very enjoyable and reminded me a lot of old San Juan, Puerto Rico.
    A lot more cruise-focused info can be found on the discussion boards at cruisecritic.com

• johnrothbauer's Profile Photo

by johnrothbauer Online Now Oct 14, 2012 at 10:26 AM

Thanks, TexasDave (we're also from Texas; Galveston) - Any recommendation on their beaches? We thought about spending some time at the beach while there.

by TexasDave Online Now Oct 14, 2012 at 1:17 PM

We never saw anything resembling a nice swimming beach there, but we spent all out time seeing the sights in the old city.

• TooTallFinn24's Profile Photo

by TooTallFinn24 Online Now Oct 14, 2012 at 9:37 PM

As I think Dave said you need to take a taxi from the port into town. There are literally hundreds of taxi drivers within a short distance from where you get off of your ship.

Some general tips about cabs from my experience;

- Always agree on the price ahead of time

- The cost should be around 10,000 COP or about 6 to 7 to go into the old town. Don't be surprised if they ask for 3x that when you get off the ship. Folks rush off the ships and try to comandeer the first of the taxis. Wait a few mins and you will be better off to negotiate a reasonable price.
    - Never enter a cab with strangers you haven't seen before. It is fine however to split the cost of the cab with someone you know or have seen from the ship.
    - Don't let the cab driver try and give you a tour of the City.
    - While in the City never give to beggars. If you do they will follow you around looking for more.

Getting back should be easier than leaving.

Check out my Cartagena page for some ideas. Don't be confused when you type in Cartagena, Columbia. There are four pages that VT folks have made additions to for their pages.

• Aitana's Profile Photo

by Aitana Online Now Oct 15, 2012 at 6:13 AM

Just to be sure because one of the replies confused me: are you coming to Cartagena, Murcia, Spain? If so, the cruise terminal is in front of the promenade Alfonso XII, 5 minutes walking. The Roman theater, the Town Hall and the city center are in this area.
    Type Cartagena at http://maps.google.es
    For more info:
    http://www.apc.es/conexiones.php?reg=10

• Aitana's Profile Photo

by Aitana Online Now Oct 16, 2012 at 2:10 AM

Don't worry, we all make these mistakes ;-)
    It is also possible that the OP (a new VT member, BTW) posted the question in the "wrong" Cartagena forum. As fas as I know there are 9 locations called Cartagena all over the world!

• Miguelzgz's Profile Photo

by Miguelzgz Online Now Oct 17, 2012 at 8:59 AM

lol,...I was getting more and more confused while reading the replies..specially when I read about negotiating prices with taxi drivers(never done in Spain). Funny confusion!

by TexasDave Online Now Oct 17, 2012 at 10:27 AM

I think the initial question was put in the wrong city by error. I don't think any cruise ships dock in the Spanish city, but lots of them do at the Colombian (not Columbian)city.

• Aitana's Profile Photo

by Aitana Online Now Oct 17, 2012 at 12:04 PM

Dave, I thought the same, but I checked and saw that Cartagena (Spain) is also a cruise destination. A recent one, probably, but I saw that some cruises of Celebrity, Roya Caribbean, Holland America and Star Clippers stop at Cartagena. Then I assumed that the post was in the right forum.
    Look at this:
    apc.es/actualidad.php?reg=18...

Miguel, the negotiation with the taxi driver also confused me, the shops and the main sights of Cartagena are so close to the port! Replies were refering to Cartagena de Indias, for sure.

Will we ever know which Cartagena the OP is going to visit?

by TooTallFinn24 Online Now Oct 17, 2012 at 12:34 PM

Yes in Cartagena you definitely have to agree with the price of a ride ahead of time with the taxi driver. Especially coming from the airport or coming in on a ship from the cruise port. Even back from downtown to the cruise port agree on a price ahead of time.

by TooTallFinn24 Online Now Oct 17, 2012 at 12:35 PM

Yes I thought this was Cartagena, Columbia also! Dang!!!

• johnincornwall's Profile Photo

by johnincornwall Online Now Oct 31, 2012 at 8:01 AM

Well Cartagena Spain is a nice place with a roman forum/theatre, Civil war bomb shelters and a lift up to the castle all within easy range, as well as nice shops and bars/restaurants. Not sure there is town beach though, but a few nearby.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines