Cartagena Travel Answers

change location
monicarc's Profile Photo

Grocery store in old town

by monicarc Online Now Oct 8, 2010 at 3:39 PM

Investigating possible trip to Cartagena and was wondering if there were any chain type of grocery stores within the old town--we would be travelling with our one year old, so we would need milk. Also, is "organic" milk sold in cartagena? Thanks

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • alza's Profile Photo

Re: Grocery store in old town

by alza Online Now Oct 8, 2010 at 9:01 PM

Yes there are grocery stores, often small ones, esp. in the old town. One Supermercado I seem to remember was under the arches where they sell candies.

I saw others just outside the wall (Getsemani neighborhood) on arrival first night. In fact, I remember thinking that grocery stores were not very obvious, they're easy to miss, being part of buildings that look nothing like supermarkets to me. :) (I don't recommend staying in Getsemany.)

A few average size ones in Bocagrande, around Avenida San Martin. One supermarket in the hotel district has a good lunch counter.

Convenience stores and pharmacy were behind iron bars by nightfall. I thought they were closed but no, it's done for security reasons.

According to the Intl Trade Centre organisation:
    "Major organic products in Colombia include coffee, tropical fruits, sugar, palm oil, cacao, herbs, medicinal plants, vegetables and basic grains, eggs, milk, yoghurt and cheese."
    I didn't look for milk in Cartagena but it's an important enough city in that country to have it in grocery stores, I would think.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • mircaskirca's Profile Photo

Re: Grocery store in old town

by mircaskirca Online Now Oct 9, 2010 at 5:17 AM

There is a rather huge Exito supermarket (you find them in all bigger cities in Colombia) in the historic centre, just two blocks from where I was staying. I went there a few times to do some small shopping but mostly to withdraw the money. I did not look for organic milk so I can't say if they have it or not. But you can give it a try anyway. It is located on Calle del Boquete (between Calle de la Cruz and Avenida Carlos Escallón).

Once I had a lunch in vegetarian restaurant Girasoles and I remember they were also selling healthy food. It's not far so you can give it a try. The address is Calle Los Puntales No. 37-01 with the corner of La Tablada.

Enjoy Cartagena! It's a very charming and romantic city! :)

mira

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines