Carmel-by-the-Sea Travel Answers

change location
olazabal14's Profile Photo

About restaurants

by olazabal14 Online Now Dec 5, 2010 at 12:50 AM

I´ll stay 4 days in Carmel next month and i have several questions:
I´ll stay at Carmel lodge, is it a good choice?
Which is the best place to have breakfast?
Which is the best italian restaurant?
Which is the best burger of the city?

Thank you very much in advance!

Mario

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • SONG's Profile Photo

Re: About restaurants

by SONG Online Now Dec 5, 2010 at 8:10 AM

LUCKY YOU!!! I just came back from a 5 day Heaven-on-Earth trip to Carmel about a month ago. May I make a couple suggestions? The Tuck Box is recognized as a darling little spot to have "tea and breakfast". The St. Tropez is a fabuloso French restaurant , with a wonderful chocolate souffle with grand manier (sp) sauce if you order such when you order the entree. All the entrees were wonderful also. I had a wonder ribeye steak topped with delicious bleu cheese with hazelnuts. Yum! Lunch on the patio at the Pebble Beach Country Club IS expensive (fish and chips was27.00) but may be worth it if you like such an elegant surrounding and the view of the world-famous golf course. Drive down the coast of A1 south of Carmel and just a few miles down on the right is a restaurant perched on a point of land overlooking the Pacific. It is the only one along this coast, so you should be able to find it. The view is spectacular and you can eat outside if the weather permits. Another favorite of mine is the Hyatt Highlands Inn which is just 4 miles south of Carmel. Be very careful as you approach it, because it is very
    easy to miss as you are driving. It is on the left just a ways after the little General store. It is clearly marked with Highlands Drive, but easy to miss. The restaurant at the Hyatt has all glass overview of the Pacific and its majesty. Drinks at sunset are a reasonable way to enjoy the view without too much expense. The beach at Carmel is a hoot. All the locals walk (or should I say run) their dog(s) who love to chase tennis balls. It is acceptable. In fact, dogs are welcome in the village. You will see doggie water bowls put out by the shop owners. I don't know where you are coming from, but you will find Carmel just delightful. It feels like a cute little English village, filled with shops and dozens of art galleries. ENJOY!!
    Email me here at SONG@VTMail.com if you have more questions.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • SONG's Profile Photo

by SONG Online Now Dec 5, 2010 at 8:28 AM

Carmel Lodge is in a great, close-in location. You should be able to walk
    everywhere in the town. Of course, you will need a car to travel outside Carmel.
    Wear comfortable shoes because all of Carmel is on a hillside.

• olazabal14's Profile Photo

by olazabal14 Online Now Dec 5, 2010 at 12:11 PM

Thank you very much indeed for your information. I come from Spain and i´m golf professional player. I´ll go to Pebble for sure!! The restaurant in the way down hwy 1 to big sur may be Nepenthe? I´m thinking on going to Mission ranch to have dinner, do you think it´s worth it?
    Thank you again

• travelgourmet's Profile Photo

by travelgourmet Online Now Dec 5, 2010 at 3:33 PM

Carmel Lodge is a good choice. Location is off the main street, Ocean Ave, but only a block down to all the shops. As mentioned by Song, the Tuck Box is an excellent choice for breakfast in Carmel. Right across the street from the Carmel Lodge is my favorite dining restaurant in Carmel. Casanova is an Italian and French style restaurant. I have them listed in my VT Carmel-by-the-Sea restaurant pages along with many more at my VT webpage: "CARMEL-by-the-SEA" - Carmel-by-the-Sea by travelgourmet

Mission Ranch Inn has a very good Sunday Brunch that is very American as is their dinner menu. The restaurant is a great place for sitting outside in the patio of the restaurant having a glass of wine or at the bar and sometimes Clint Eastwood, actor/director, can be seen in the bar area, if he is in town. Just don't bother him is the rule. Speaking of wine and the Carmel Valley wineries come to mind. Don't miss them. See my VT page for Mission Inn and the wineries at: Carmel-by-the-Sea Off The Beaten Path Tips by travelgourmet

At Pebble Beach is the Inn at Spanish Bay, one of my favorite locations for views of the Links at Spanish Bay golf course from all the dining venues. Pèppoli at Pebble Beach is a fantastic northern Italian dining room. I enjoy just sitting as Sticks for a glass of wine with blackened fish tacos looking out at the golf course and ocean beyond. Another area not to miss for siteseeing is the Pacific Grove area, next door to Pebble Beach. See my VT pages on Pacific Grove for insight on Lattitudes or Fish Wife for seafood: "MONTEREY PENINSULA BEAUTY" - Pacific Grove by travelgourmet

• Jamesr3939's Profile Photo

by Jamesr3939 Online Now Dec 5, 2010 at 5:14 PM

Have a great trip. I have stayed at both Pebble Beach Lodge and Spanish Bay Inn. My pick is SBI over PBL. Not sure of your choice of meals as I have not eaten in Carmel proper in several years.

The place south of the Highlands Inn on Hwy 1 that I love to eat is Rocky Point. The food is awesome (small menu) great steaks great view and you might bump into a couple of movie stars stitting at the bar. You will probalby miss it the first time you drive past, but go a few 100 ft and turn around and come back. It's best to try and find it in daylight then go back later.

I have spent the last two weeks working in Monterey and I found one of the best burgers I have had any where at the Hilton Garden Inn. Huge and great with bacon and cheese jumbo order of fries and the Stella is cold on draft. I order in the bar, sit by the wood fire and watch the TV.

The locals tell me they eat at the Golden Tee which is at the Monterey airport. I ate there once for lunch and had the best calamari sandwich of all times.

1 member found this helpful

• Odinnthor's Profile Photo

by Odinnthor Online Now Dec 5, 2010 at 5:29 PM

Although many are not crazy about the Hog's Breath Inn, Clint Eastwoods old place (he now owns the Mission Inn, as touched on by "travelgourmet'), - but for a burger meal, it is pretty good. It is practically across the street from the Carmel Lodge.

Well the Nepenthe sits a bit into the mountain, It is a legendary bohemian hangout, of many well known people, like Elizabeth Taylor.

http://www.nepenthebigsur.com/

Yes as already said, the Mission Inn is great for dinner. Just leave the "Man With No Name" alone. He does not take kindly to interruptions. By the way I have been to the Almeria town in Spain where he made some of those movies. Also own the Spanish film "800 Balas", which is about that town and its spagetti western history....

You may want to consider dinner at the legendary restaurant on the Monterey Pier called the Old Fisherman's Grotto. It was opened and operated by Sabu, the original Mowgli in the film The Jungle Book, and is now run by his son.

http://www.oldfishermansgrotto.com/

This is my page on Pebble Beach, with some websites to help you out....good luck compadre........d:o)

Pebble Beach Things to Do Tips by Odinnthor

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines