Carmel-by-the-Sea Travel Answers

change location

carmel

by woutersn Online Now Aug 25, 2010 at 3:14 AM

Will travel to Carmel. Is it possible to bike
to Big Sur Lucia Lodge.? That's a nice restaurant
overlooking the Pacific? How long wil that take?
regards

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • swissfondue's Profile Photo

Re: carmel

by swissfondue Online Now Aug 25, 2010 at 4:52 AM

Hi there, just MY opinion but I wouldnt go to the effort of biking to Lucia Lodge which is quite a distance from Carmel (around 50 miles) and rather hilly by the way.

The views are nice but the restaurant is just ok. If you are after nice views of the Pacific, I think you'll find the best ones about 15 miles south of Carmel around the vicinity of the Bixby Bridge.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • travelgourmet's Profile Photo

by travelgourmet Online Now Aug 25, 2010 at 1:26 PM

Lucia Lodge is noted for the view, not the food. Overpriced and unimaginative in food offering. It sits about 47 miles south of Carmel-by-the-sea and by vehicle takes about 1 hour. As mentioned, the Bixby Bridge is one of the most dramatic photo shoot on Hwy 1 and is closer, only 13 miles from Carmel. Of course, if you want the long bike ride then Lucia Lodge is the distance to go. It sits after Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park and can't be missed with large Lucia sign out front. Don't confuse the Julia Pheiffer Burns State Park with the Pheiffer Big Sur State Park which is much closer to Carmel-by-the-Sea. If you go past Lucia, the next area is the Limekilm State Park. Overall, the drive can be more dangerous by bike. See Road Conditions at:http://jrabold.net/bigsur/drive.htm
    To get an idea of what is in the area check out website: http://wikitravel.org/en/Big_Sur
    Of course, Virtual Tourist members have some great tips on Big Sur: Big Sur Travel Guide

• Badger1492's Profile Photo

by Badger1492 Online Now Aug 25, 2010 at 11:26 PM

For some really scenic views I recommend Point Lobos State Reserve. It is nearer to Carmel, but I am not sure about bike access since on the map it looks like Hwy 1 is the only connecting road. Still, it is a beautiful place.

pointlobos.org/Information.h...

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines