Carmel-by-the-Sea Travel Answers

change location
bluegemini's Profile Photo

4th July in Carmel?

by bluegemini Online Now Apr 15, 2007 at 7:38 AM

Hi , it's possible that the itinerary for my wife and i and 15 yr old son will find us in the vicinity of Carmel/Monterey on 4th July. Can you tell me if, being Independence Day, whether everything shuts down and things are very quiet, or is it a mass celebration with a good vibe, parties, fireworks etc???
Please give me a feeling for the day.
Would it be better or worse if we were in the Big Sur area on the 4th or wouldn't it matter?
Thanks

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • lmkluque's Profile Photo

Re: 4th July in Carmel?

by lmkluque Online Now Apr 15, 2007 at 8:44 AM

>>>Please give me a feeling for the day.

The Fourth of July is a big day for us. We celebrate it various ways, family get-togethers at home, at a beach, at a park or in a restaurant/bar, it just depends.

Government offices are closed, also banks and most "office" type businesses. Retail stores--many have big sales that day--and restaurants/bars are open, especially in tourist areas.

If it is the "mass celebration" you crave, I'd suggest beaches and parks. Look at the newspaper websites for organized events. During the day there are public and private picnics going on and the finale includes a huge fireworks display, usually around 9:00 p.m. and these venues will be packed!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • bluegemini's Profile Photo

by bluegemini Online Now Apr 16, 2007 at 9:47 PM

Thanks for your input Linda - much appreciated. I also checked your LA pages and found some useful comments :-)

• lmkluque's Profile Photo

by lmkluque Online Now Apr 17, 2007 at 11:22 AM

Thanks for checking out my L.A. page.

Sorry it's not well developed.

You might take a look at Erin74's Los Angeles Page:

"My Hometown: Los Angeles" - Los Angeles by Erin74

She lives there and offers a nice selection of tips.

• Ewingjr98's Profile Photo

by Ewingjr98 Online Now Apr 27, 2007 at 4:51 PM

Though I have not attended Monterey's 4th of July Festival, I hear it is a pretty big event featuring fireworks over the Monterey Bay, live music and a parade. Pacific Grove also has a small celebration with live music and food downtown. I'm not sure what Carmel offers, but between the three towns, you'll certainly find plenty to keep you entertained.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines