Carlisle Travel Answers

change location
hmb10's Profile Photo

One way car rental

by hmb10 Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 8:05 PM

Greetings! We are having difficulty finding a Car Rental Company that enables us to pick up a rental in Carlisle and drop it off 3days later in Heysham. We are catching this ferry to Douglas,Isle of Man as foot passangers.Would appreciate any names of car rental companies that do this one way rental...Thanks

Quote & Answer
7 Answers
  • davidjo's Profile Photo

Re: One way car rental

by davidjo Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 9:44 PM

carrentalbookers.com/Car_Hir...

Try this site as it offers a different drop off point. I put your info in as regards to picmup and drop off and it came up with 4 possibilities

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • hmb10's Profile Photo

by hmb10 Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 10:37 PM

Thanks for your help davidjo...tried but even though it has box to tick for different drop off,in my case Heysham, when I progress to book the details display same pick up AND drop off ...both being Carslie.No mention of Heysham at all for drop off!!

Be the first to rate this answer!

• swissfondue's Profile Photo

by swissfondue Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 11:20 PM

Hi there

Do you have to take the ferry from Heysham? If your plans are more flexible you could consider a one way rental from Carslisle to Liverpool and catch the ferry to Douglas from there instead. Arnold Clark Car and Van rental is one company that I know of who will do a one way hire from Carlisle to Liverpool. There may be others.

Another alternative would be to do a one way hire from Carlisle to Preston and then take the train (1hr trip) from Preston to Heysham Ferry Port Station.

• Re: One way car rental

by K_V_B Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 11:26 PM

Many of the car rental places in the UK appear to be franchises, especially in small, out of the way places. The cars are owned by the local franchise taker and they want the car to return to their depot. So getting a one way rental is a bit of a challenge sometimes. One way rentals are not that common in Europe.
    I did find Europcar for you however. They even have "meet and greet Heysham" as a drop of location, so you could drop of you car at the ferry port at the end of your trip. Maybe give them a try.

3 members found this helpful

• swissfondue's Profile Photo

by swissfondue Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 11:29 PM

Hi again forgot to say that you would need to change trains at Lancaster so if you can find a company that does a one way rental from Carlisle to Lancaster that would be even more convenient.

Preston Station is a 10 minute walk from the car rental company I've suggested.

• christine.j's Profile Photo

by christine.j Online Now Mar 12, 2013 at 12:18 AM

When I took the ferry from Heysham, I had come by train from Lancaster. The train took me right to the ferry station. If you return the car in Lancaster, it may even be more convenient for you.

• hmb10's Profile Photo

by hmb10 Online Now Mar 12, 2013 at 1:30 AM

Thanks to everyone who offered advice...finally booked a car through Europcar.Thanks K_V_B. Now I can tick that box!!!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines