Caribbean and Central America Travel Answers

change location
skippermax1's Profile Photo

Cuba..worth a trip?

by skippermax1 Online Now Jan 31, 2013 at 12:07 PM

Hi there! I am planning a trip for 2-3 weeks in July.
I have travelled a lot over the last few years to Peru, Bolivia, Central America, SE Asia, Australia & South Africa.
I am really interested in travel; seeing new places, learning about history, culture, meeting new people.. I also love outdoor physical stuff: hiking, cycling, and anything in the ocean: swimming, snorkelling, scuba etc...

So would you recommend a trip to Cuba for someone with my interests?
I was looking at Java & Bali: but now Cuba is on my radar!!

Regards,

Dave.

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • JessieLang's Profile Photo

Re: Cuba..worth a trip?

by JessieLang Online Now Jan 31, 2013 at 5:30 PM

Yes. You don't say where you live--If you are a U.S. resident, legal travel is limited to group travel of certain kinds. Even with the restrictions, I had a great time. Lots of history and culture, music, art, etc.

I'm not familiar with the outdoor activities, but they certainly have beaches and there would be places to hike. I don't know about availability of equipment rentals though.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now Feb 5, 2013 at 11:53 AM

well Cuba is nice and will test your stamina for hiking,cycling etc as public transport is limited. the rest is like Bali with a Caribbean african twist.

you can look at destinations here for Cuba tips or this great site over the years
    http://www.cuba-junky.com/

Hope it helps

• ainsleigh's Profile Photo

by ainsleigh Online Now Feb 5, 2013 at 1:17 PM

We have similar travel interests and I had a great time in Cuba. There's lots of stuff to do outdoors; I'd recommend hiking and biking in the vinales area and in the mountains by Trinidad. The snorkeling is pretty good in some areas. To learn about culture, old Havana has this great vibe, the Revolution Museum is informative and we found it easy to meet people (outside the tourist areas) who shared meals with us and were really open about their culture and opinions.

As an aside, you mentioned Java and Bali, but if you're into snorkeling or diving consider traveling to West Papua, Indonesia to the Raja Ampat Islands if you haven't already. The marine biodiversity and underwater beauty is totally incredible. The drawback is it's difficult to access independently so ends up being super expensive with hiring tour companies and live-aboards.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Caribbean and Central America Travel Answer Locations