Caribbean and Central America Travel Answers

change location

Arriving to Caribbean with a sailboat/try to get to mainland

by MarkusUz Online Now Jan 25, 2013 at 1:41 AM

Hello! I am trying to do a around-the-world trip without using any airplanes. I have a Finnish passport. Currently I am trying to find a boat from South Africa to the Americas. My most probable destinations would be the Bahamas or Tortola (British Virgin Islands). And from either of those I would need to get to the mainland to continue my travels. (Those islands seem to be the destinations where the boats go..)
Now, I think the Bahamas would be my first choice because I could get the ferry to Florida. I have asked around and I think if I purchase an open ticket to the ferry the Bahaman authorities shouldn't have a problem. To pacify the US immigrant I was thinking that I will buy a plane ticket from USA to my home country of Finland. And then just cancel the ticket if I choose to continue my trip. I would then go cross the border to Mexico. Do you see any problem with this plan?
Tortola is a bit trickier. There is a ferry to US Virgin Islands and from there to Puerto Rico and from there to Dominican Republic. But from there I would need to find a sailboat to Florida or Mexico. Cuba would get me nearer also. But the sailboat I couldn't arrange before visiting the yacht clubs etc. So it would be quite complicated if the immigrant authorities would always be asking for prove to leave country etc. How do you see it going?
I appreciate any help or advice!
Thank you!
Markus

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • gwened's Profile Photo

Re: Arriving to Caribbean with a sailboat/try to get to mainland

by gwened Online Now Jan 25, 2013 at 2:20 AM

adventurous trip indeed. BOTH Bahamas and BVI are great for boating, more so the BVI. Tortola is the main island and more ferries abound connect with Puerto Rico,and the USVI.

Bahamas will get you to Florida alright and no problems that I know for Finnish passports. crossing border to Mexico is no problems as long as you stay in the USA for a period not sure if 90 days or less. There they will ask how you got into the USA so keep the boat receipt from the Bahamas.

hope it helps

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Caribbean and Central America Travel Answer Locations