Cardiff Travel Answers

change location
Carmela71's Profile Photo

Cheap? car hire

by Carmela71 Online Now Nov 23, 2006 at 1:01 PM

Any suggestions about a cheap car hire at Cardiff airport ?

I had seen many options online but none of them say how much is Full cover (only priced for partial cover).

I had used Hertz before and they seem to give me the best price, but if you know any better one, please let us know! :-)

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • leics's Profile Photo

RE: Cheap? car hire

by leics Online Now Nov 23, 2006 at 11:02 PM

I googled 'car hire cardiff airport' and clicked on the first option just out of interest. Their price included fully comprehensive insurance cover; as far as I know (and have experienced when hiring cars here) fully comprehensive cover is always included in the quote. There are two main types of car insurance in the UK; fully comprehensive and third party/fire/theft. A hire company is highly unlikely not to include fully comprehensive, for there would be no guarantee they would be refunded for damage caused to their vehicle!

However, many (most?) companies offer CDW (collision damage waiver) as an optional extra; this basically covers the first 100GBP or so of any accidental damage, the 'excess' which many personal car insurance policies in the UK carry, and which you would otherwise be liable to pay. Perhaps this is what you mean by 'partial cover'?

Car hire in the UK is tightly regulated, so you need not be overly concerned about standards. The prices offered by multinationals such as Hertz are, in my experience, more expensive than smaller companies for comparable vehicles.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • RE: Cheap? car hire

by mendip6 Online Now Nov 24, 2006 at 2:45 AM

I have always found Europcar competative. They have a desk at Cardiff airport.

• Carmela71's Profile Photo

RE: RE: Cheap? car hire

by Carmela71 Online Now Nov 25, 2006 at 2:18 AM

Hi to both
    J, I know that was one fo my best options at the begining, but now they do not offer me a price (because it is in a couple of days, i guess). Most of the car insurance give me price with partial CDW but they do not tell you how much you have to pay for the full one :(

I think i had used hertz (twice), Avis, europcar was giving me a good price (thank mendip)

I just been told by email about laterooms.com (I did not know they did cars) and they are very competitive and full cover for 20 days is 50 pounds

Thanks to both :-))

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines