Cardiff Travel Answers

change location
sanjuro66's Profile Photo

Doctor Who Experience

by sanjuro66 Online Now Mar 15, 2013 at 10:03 AM

Hello all. This summer I will be taking a trip to the Republic of Ireland and Wales. While in Cardiff, i'm contemplating going to the "Doctor Who Experience" in Cardiff Bay. I've been a fan for the last thirty years. My question is this:would an adult fan enjoy this museum...or is it more geared for children?

Cheers!
Henry
San Francisco Bay Area

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • Odinnthor's Profile Photo

Re: Doctor Who Experience

by Odinnthor Online Now Mar 15, 2013 at 10:58 AM

Nah, This is a children of all ages kind of thing. No, I have not been there at this exhibit, but have read about it, as I too have been a fan for thirthy years.

Actually you kind of answered your own question, - if you have been a fan for thirty years, so are hundreds of thousands of people. With any decades long TV run, hjalf of the fans are grown up now and still fans, so in order to appeace ALL the fans, they have to consider the legions of adult fans without alienating the new kids/fans.

As a fan I am sure you will enjoy this experience, - I wish I could be there with you, - I would friggin' love it!........d:o)

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Mar 15, 2013 at 1:16 PM

40+  years and counting......

Dr Who has millions of adult fans in the UK and elsewhere, and always has had them. It's a series which, imo, has always worked on two levels: the simplistic child level and the more subtle adult level. 'Chappie with the wings, five rounds rapid!'

So the exhibition is aimed at adults as well as children. Go...and enjoy! :-)

• SallyM's Profile Photo

by SallyM Online Now Mar 15, 2013 at 2:36 PM

I haven't been to the Cardiff one yet, but went to its earlier incarnation (sorry) at Earl's Court, and would say it's definitely worth it, whatever your age. (I'm old enough to remember Jon Pertwee).

• charlene_aquilina's Profile Photo

by charlene_aquilina Online Now Mar 16, 2013 at 12:44 AM

I went last year with my boyfriend who's a big fan of Dr. Who and we both loved it so I'd say go for it :)

1 member found this helpful

• sanjuro66's Profile Photo

by sanjuro66 Online Now Mar 17, 2013 at 2:18 PM

Thanks everyone! It looks like i'll be making a trip there.

• planxty's Profile Photo

by planxty Online Now Mar 17, 2013 at 10:57 PM

If you are visiting London and are into Dr. Who, I woukd recommend this place.

http://thewhoshop.com/

It is a little bit of a travel out to East London (nearest Tube Upton Park). I don't know if it is still under the same ownership but the lady that used to run it was the wife of an RAF pilot and knew everything about the subject. I'm not a huge fan so I wouldn't know. They have relocated from the original site in High Street North. Might be worth a look.

Hope this assists,

fergy.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines