Carcassonne Travel Answers

change location

toll road and prices

by alan61 Online Now Feb 11, 2013 at 10:03 AM

Hi
I will be staying in carcassonne for 3 days in september and am hiring a car as i have been told the best way to get around.
I would like to visit the millau viaduct and the coast plus may be toulouse.
I looked on google maps for directions and it stated on route planner partial toll and toll road.
How do you pay these tolls and can anyone give me sum idea on cost per toll .
Many Thanks

Alan

Quote & Answer
13 Answers
  • ranger49's Profile Photo

Re: toll road and prices

by ranger49 Online Now Feb 11, 2013 at 10:49 AM

You will find some useful general information about driving in France and about the Tolls that are applied on certain roads - motorways etc.
    about-france.com/travel.htm#...
    We usually pay with a credit card which is much easier and quicker than fiddling about looking for the correct change at the barrier - particularly if there is a line behind you.
    Some stretches of motorway around major towns/cities are free as on a Ring Road for example.
    But where charges are due you will pass a barrier and collect a ticket from a machine.
    When you exit the toll section put your ticket in the machine, the amount due will be displayed, insert your Card in the machine , press receipt required and that is all.
    On some routes Tolls add up very quickly but I have never actually worked out the cost per mile.
    Sites like www.viamichelin.com and www.theaaroutefinder.com include driving costs in their route and itinerary planning sections which I find very useful.
    Have a great trip.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer

by ranger49 Online Now Feb 11, 2013 at 10:55 AM

By the way unless you are staying in Carcassonne and know car parking will be available I would look for accommodation just outside the city as parking could be rather difficult.

• gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now Feb 11, 2013 at 12:22 PM

well in Carcassonne you wont need the car, so try to hire the car at the end of the stay there to save on parking fees. Then hire it at the end and see the countryside.

Then if you go on the faster A autoroute roads you may pay a toll, if you go in the slower but more scenics D departemental roads there are free. The in between N or National roads are good too and free too.

the best route planner here is www.viamichelin.com

The tolls are pay like anywhere else, cash or plastic cards. The plastic from USA or those without chips sometimes dont work but if driving daytime you will have a manned booth always available who will swipe your card if without a chip.

For instance to the coastal narbonne you can take the A61 or the D6113 free road; you can go to wonderful Toulouse on the same D6113 for free or the A61 ; the D6113 passes rigth thru Castelnaudary wonderful cassoulet dish!!

to Millau you can take the A61 as well from Carcassonne but for free take the D610 to Homps and then D5/D11 to Béziers ,take the beltway around Béziers direction maraussan to connect to the free section of the A75 past Pézenas and to Millau.
    THe A75 is free and historical road, here is in English, you can have google translated here
    http://www.a75.com/id.html

hope it helps

• gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now Feb 11, 2013 at 12:25 PM

here is in English, you can have google translated here
    lol!!
    I meant in French,and you can have google or other site translated it for you.
    cheers

• Beausoleil's Profile Photo

by Beausoleil Online Now Feb 11, 2013 at 1:57 PM

Hi Alan. I see you are from the UK so you can easily use a credit card to pay tolls. However, we find it much more fun to use the N and D roads that don't have tolls. They go through the little towns and rural countryside and you get a chance to see the real France. That is such a lovely part of the country that if you have the time, it would be a good idea.

On the other hand, if you are in a hurry, the A (or toll) roads will get you there quickly. We're from the USA and sometimes our non-chipped credit cards are problematic in France although when we've gone through toll booths that didn't have a person, the credit card was accepted. Very small exits out in the country do not always have a manned booth.

If you don't want to use your credit card, you can use cash at the manned booths (marked at the exit) or coins at non-manned booths.

If you've never driven in France before, here's a description of the different types of road. "What are the different roads like in France?" - France Transportation Tip by Beausoleil

Enjoy your trip.

• KakapoTheParrot's Profile Photo

by KakapoTheParrot Online Now Feb 12, 2013 at 12:36 AM

If you've ever been through a toll barrier in Britain and paid cash (the Tyne Tunnel and Severn Bridges are the ones I've done most) the process is pretty well identical. It really is no hassle at all. I'd go for cash on the first one as it's much the easiest.

One notable difference between a toll bridge/tunnel in the UK and a toll road in France is that if you arrive at an exit in a time that indicates you have broken the speed limit, you get fined on the spot.

by ranger49 Online Now Feb 12, 2013 at 5:20 AM

@ Kakapo "if you arrive at an exit in a time that indicates you have broken the speed limit, you get fined on the spot."
    I did not know this - not that I do break the speed limit! - just curious as to how that happens if you put your ticket in the machine and use a credit card to pay. Would the machine "read" the ticket, make the calculation and deduct the the fine from the card?

• gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now Feb 12, 2013 at 6:14 AM

"that if you arrive at an exit in a time that indicates you have broken the speed limit, you get fined on the spot. "

I never heard of the above ,and I do go over the speed limits here ::) and got as much as 8 points on my license lol!!! Now is ok folks don't worry be happy. You don't get fine on the spot unless you are drunk, under the influence or go 300 kph lol!!!

the new thing now is that just the last year where they are putting speed camera timers so if you go past one camera an speed ups the second camera catches and calculate the speed over the limit and you get a nice post mail with the fine.

• gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now Feb 12, 2013 at 6:36 AM

and for the rulemakers here is the law in French of course from France
    securiteroutiere.gouv.fr/con...

and if you got one you can even pay online too,by credit/debit card, as I did lol!!
    amendes.gouv.fr/portail/inde...

happy reading or is it motoring lol!

by ranger49 Online Now Feb 12, 2013 at 8:11 AM

Gwened - thanks for that clarification about on the spot fines at the toll barrier!
    We have "Average Speed cameras" here too that photograph your Registration number,measure your speed over a certain distance and those caught are sent a fine by post.
    If you are driving a hire car it goes to the rental company who will chase the driver for the money.

I wonder if people know that the law that was only introduced last year whereby all drivers had to have with them personal breathylyser kits has been rescinded?
    We bought them on the ferry at a high price for our last trip before they were actually enforced so a waste of money !

• Beausoleil's Profile Photo

by Beausoleil Online Now Feb 12, 2013 at 8:44 AM

Thank you Ranger. Good to know.

by ranger49 Online Now Feb 12, 2013 at 9:06 AM

Sally - Glad that tid-bit was useful:)

• gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now Feb 12, 2013 at 12:27 PM

yes the alcohol test was postponned here, it will not be voted again in March. However, much opposition including my own membership 40million automobilistes I think it will be buried for good

40millionsdautomobilistes.co...

its a lobby group i am a member to help protect the car drivers rights to freedom of the road lol!!!
    happy motoring ::)

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines