Carcassonne Travel Answers

change location

carcassonne in 2 days

by alan61 Online Now Feb 5, 2013 at 12:50 AM

Hi
i would love to visit carcassonne in september for 2 days max can i do the best unmissable bits in that time.
Plus can you reccomend 3 or 4 star hotels that are not to expensive.

Many thanks

alan

Quote & Answer
9 Answers
  • Redang's Profile Photo

Re: carcassonne in 2 days

by Redang Online Now Feb 5, 2013 at 1:45 AM

Carcassonne, the old city, can be visited in one morning

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Jerelis's Profile Photo

by Jerelis Online Now Feb 5, 2013 at 1:57 AM

The city can easily be visited within one day.

Have a look at my VT site so you can have a look at what to expect :)

"Historic Fortified City of Carcassonne." - Carcassonne by Jerelis

Have fun, I did enjoy the old citadel!

Jeroen

• zuriga's Profile Photo

by zuriga Online Now Feb 5, 2013 at 3:30 AM

There is one hotel right in the Old City, but if you have a car, it's a bit difficult driving the narrow streets to reach it.. but it's doable. We stayed about 30 minutes outside of Carcassonne and like the ability to drive around the area and see some of the Canal du Midi and also further south to some of the small villages. Do the tour of the old Citadel - it's worth the price.

• KakapoTheParrot's Profile Photo

by KakapoTheParrot Online Now Feb 5, 2013 at 4:28 AM

We stayed in the modern town, not far from the railway station. The walk through to the old town took maybe 30 minutes and although it's uphill at the end the walk is very pleasant. You'd want to walk down from the old town anyway to get photographs of the walls from one of the bridges over the river. The view stunning.

You don't say how you will be arriving. If it's by train then you arrive in the modern town. If you fly in then there's a bus service that stops at the train station but also goes on in a circuit to the main entrance of the old town as well. If you drive then there is a large car park by the main entrance of the old town.

Two days is ample time. We did the same. Really one full day is enough but the modern town is worth a quiet wander round. It's not particularly interesting but I'm very fond of walking around provincial towns anywhere in the world, and Carcassonne in September would take some beating. As is often the case, the coffee and cake we had in a square in the modern town was far better than the same in the old town, even if the surroundings were less spectacular.

• gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now Feb 5, 2013 at 6:28 AM

most people come for the walled old city so one day is enough. then you can see other things in the new city and surrounding areas, cathar country is beautiful...
    I use the ACCOR French chain,
    www.accorhotels.com
    any mercure ,novotel will do for you.
    http://www.mercure-carcassonne.fr/
    the above I have stayed very nice
    in english here

accorhotels.com/gb/hotel-162...

hope it helps

• gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now Feb 5, 2013 at 6:38 AM

the extra day you can visit Montréal,Lavalette, Trébes,Pézenc, and if have a car a bit further to the cassoulet (local dish) city of Castelnaudary.

if you come by car, parking is best at
    http://www.parkings-carcassonne.fr/plan

by train the station is just around the car parking above at 1 bd Maréchal Joffre ,you follow straight to blvd omer Sarrault, and the parking is there a bit further and you enter the old city along rue antoine d'armagnac.

hope it helps

• zuriga's Profile Photo

by zuriga Online Now Feb 5, 2013 at 7:46 AM

P.S. If you are driving around the Languedoc region with Carcassonne as one of your stops, consider a night in Pezenas. It's a very untouristy town and I know a great B&B there if you need one. The same is true of Limoux or Castlenaudary.

• ViajesdelMundo's Profile Photo

by ViajesdelMundo Online Now Feb 5, 2013 at 9:40 AM

we too loved Carcassonne and looked at one of the nice hotels in town and then stayed at a FAB B&B which had a nearby view of the walls of the castle, both places which I have written a tip about on my pages here: "CARCASSONNE" - Carcassonne by ViajesdelMundo

and also there are a couple other restaurant tips. ENJOY!

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Feb 5, 2013 at 11:07 AM

I too liked Carcassonne, spending a day exploring the upper city (La Cite) and another exploring the not-quite-so-old lower city (La Bastide).

I stayed at the Hotel du Soleil Terminus, right by the railway station (I took a daytrip to Narbonne, and suggest you do so too). It was very pleasant, and one of my first solo trips abroad (2006).

My hotel review and info about Carcassonne on my page:

"Carcassonne.........town of two parts." - Carcassonne by leics

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines