Carcassonne Travel Answers

change location

carcassonne

by alan61 Online Now Feb 17, 2013 at 8:33 AM

HI again Have decided to hire a car for 3 days i am in carcassonne. Please give me soom advice on my planned trip if doable. DAY 1..Land in carcassonne lunch time and spend afternoon and evening in medieval city.

DAY 2...Castle tour and ramparts am until lunch.Set off after lunch and drive to millau viaduct i think may be 2 hours drive,visit then drive to coast. Not sure to stay over night in montpellier or nimes and then visit roman aquaduct. DAY 3..on the way back to carcassonne may be visit narboone ? DAY 4 morning in carrcassonne then pm flight home

Is 3 half days enough in carcassonne ?any advice will be great.unfortunately not enough time but would like to do as much as possible. Many thanks

Alan

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • leics's Profile Photo

Re: carcassonne

by leics Online Now Feb 17, 2013 at 8:42 AM

Yes, I think 3 half-days in Carcassonne is plenty. It's a fascinating place with a lot of history, but it's not vast.

Narbonne is most definitely worth a visit, if only for the Roman horreum (a museum created from Roman underground galleries) and the cathedral.

I'm ashamed of my Carcassonne and Narbonne pages, created when I was a VT newbie...but both are fascinating places to explore. If I go back, I'll do a better job with my tips and photos! :-)

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now Feb 17, 2013 at 8:57 AM

yes it can be done, can't give exact time some people stay in Carcassonne more or less, it depends on your interests in an old walled city. Millau is wonderful views, the drive to the coast nicer. Montpellier is an university town, Nîmes has more interesting things for me. Narbonne is nice been on the coast. Enjoy your trip.

• wrldtrvlr3341's Profile Photo

by wrldtrvlr3341 Online Now Feb 17, 2013 at 9:01 AM

3 days in Carcassonne seems too long. Montpieller has far more to offer and 3 days there would be better spent for things to do and see having visited both places.

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Feb 17, 2013 at 9:07 AM

I missed the bit about Nimes but yes...it's a place which is definitely worth a good chunk of your time, especially if you are interested in Roman elements.

My Nimes page was written when I'd become better at writing VT tips and pages (and had a better camera too!):

"For the Roman remains, of course......." - Nîmes by leics

• Roadquill's Profile Photo

by Roadquill Online Now Feb 18, 2013 at 1:17 AM

I planned on two days in Carcassonne and ended up spending an extra day renting a car and exploring several of the Cathar castles that surround Carcassonne. Plus there are many monasteries, such as St. Hillaire that are close by. The Languedoc wine region is underrated with many wonderful wineries or wine co-ops.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines