Capri Travel Answers

change location
MeganW10's Profile Photo

Capri-getting there and Where to stay

by MeganW10 Online Now Feb 9, 2013 at 4:04 PM

My husband and I are going to Paris early May for a few days and then flying to Naples. We were planning on ferrying to Capri (what is the best to use). Should we stay in Capri or Anacapri and where?? What all should we definitely do while we are there? We are planning on being there 3 nights. Will there be plenty for us to do?

Quote & Answer
7 Answers
  • goodfish's Profile Photo

Re: Capri-getting there and Where to stay

by goodfish Online Now Feb 9, 2013 at 7:47 PM

I would recommend buying a ticket at the docks for a jet boat (hydrofoil) versus a ferry as they're much faster. You can find some info on carriers here:

http://www.capri.com/en/ferry-schedule

Note that you will want the Molo Beverello dock in Naples for the hydrofoils.

Either town is fine but I would probably stay in Capri because it's closer to where your boat will come in and so more convenient for transfers to a hotel. Day trips to Anacapri are easy by the little buses that run regularly up the mountain but they do tend to be crowded so are not really good for hauling luggage. You may also take a taxi from the docks if desired:

http://www.capri.com/en/getting-around

Do be aware that many of the Capri hotels are in areas where vehicles can't go. You should arrange in advance with your chosen hotel to have your luggage delivered if you don't want to manage it yourself. It is a steep hill up from the docks, and funicular (elevator) is often very busy.

Things to do depend on your interests and willingness to do some exploring uphill and down on foot. Again this is not a "driving" island. You can get some ideas here:

http://www.capri.com/en/what-to-see
    http://www.capri.com/en/anacapri
    http://www.capri.com/en/itineraries

And on our VT Capri pages:

Capri Travel Guide

We were there 2 nights and could have used more but we're also hikers so exploring more of the "off the beaten" on foot than we had time for would have been where we would have spent our extra day.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Feb 10, 2013 at 1:20 AM

I agree: staying in Capri town is easier than Anacapri and (imo) just as pleasant once the day visitors have left.

You will need to get from Naples airport to the ferry/hydrofoil dock at Molo Beverello. It's up to you how you do this: taxi all the way, bus to Napoli Centrale station then bus or taxi to the ferry docks. You don't need to book your hydrofoil (like Goodfish, I'd go for the fastest option) or ferry tickets in advance of arrival but you should be aware that getting from the airport to the dock will take some time, especially if you land during rush hour times. Naples traffic is almost always very congested and just gets even worse at those times.

Capri is very pretty, but it is expensive. The best thing you can do there is to walk and walk and walk. There is very little traffic because most 'roads' (really lanes) are too narrow for vehicles (you'll see some tiny electric vehicles on those, used to move things around the island).

Definitely visit the Arco Naturale and Villa Jovis (Roman villa with stunning views across the Bay of Naples). There's a good walk back along the cliffside from the Arco Naturale which takes you past a Roman nymphaeum (shrine to water gods) and also gives superb views.

My Capri pages have info about those places:

"Tiny, expensive, exclusive............." - Capri by leics

I believe many people enjoy the chair-lift up Mount Solaro:

capri.net/en/s/mount-solaro-...

but there's no point in doing that (imo) unless visibility is very good. The Blue Grotto is the biggest 'draw' on Capri (it is not something I have bothered with), but you should be aware that boats only go if conditions are right. That must be decided at the time, so it is possible to go there and then find that the boats are not running.

I think you will find enough to occupy you for 3 nights, as long as you are walkers.

• goodfish's Profile Photo

by goodfish Online Now Feb 10, 2013 at 4:15 AM

>Definitely visit the Arco Naturale and Villa Jovis (Roman villa with stunning views across the Bay of Naples). There's a good walk back along the cliffside from the Arco Naturale which takes you past a Roman nymphaeum (shrine to water gods) and also gives superb views.

Ditto to these: the view from Villa Jovis is wonderful. And do take the chairlift - or hike - to the top of Mt Solaro in Anacapri: excellent panoramas from up there as well. We enjoyed the shop-browsing more in Anacapri as it felt like there were more non-designer, non-upscale offerings there, and do take a ramble through the village cemetery.

But just exploring the island's little nooks and crannies is the most fun thing to do. Because most of the "streets" are very narrow and there are lots of stairways, you can wander without dodging motorcycles or cars. Nice! For R&R, some of the hotels have pools, and there are a couple of small pebble beaches and swimming holes (some have fees):

http://www.capri.com/en/beaches

• Laurel914's Profile Photo

by Laurel914 Online Now Feb 10, 2013 at 5:16 PM

Have you thought about staying in Sorrento? I went a few years ago and used Sorrento as an affordable base to Capri and Pompeii. It's much more affordable than Capri, but still just a short ferry ride away.

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Feb 12, 2013 at 8:29 AM

Both Goodfish and I would absolutely agree with you about the pleasant-ness of Sorrento and its uber-convenience for using public transport to explore both Capri and the mainland.

But it looks as if the OP is set on staying in Capri? Hopefully she'll let us know... :-)

• TuttoViaggia's Profile Photo

by TuttoViaggia Online Now Mar 26, 2013 at 4:27 AM

I don't see why you should stay in Sorrento if you are planning to visit Capri. I mean, Sorrento is a beautiful city as well but I don't really think it can be cheaper than Capri. If you stay outside and plan just a day trip you are going to get tired about trying to visit all in one time and your sole souvenir will be about crows ant transit-time. No way. Take your time, choose a panoramic hotel in Capri and sit at la Piazzetta just to breathe lifestyle.

• TuttoViaggia's Profile Photo

by TuttoViaggia Online Now Mar 26, 2013 at 4:28 AM

Here's my suggestion www.sanmichele-capri.com

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines