Capri Travel Answers

change location

with small children on capri -_ where to stay?

by dinny Online Now Jun 7, 2009 at 2:23 AM

Hi! We'll be coming to Capri for a week in September with our 1 year old (by then) daughter. From a 6 years ago visit on capri I remember the city/ landscape is not so baby-friendly. So we have hard to decide where to stay - can anybody recommend a suitable place/hotel with swimming pool? What places & activities can you tip for a family with a toddler? We are very active people, using a back-chair for our baby to move around/ hike.
Thank you a lot!

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • leics's Profile Photo

Re: with small children on capri -_ where to stay?

by leics Online Now Jun 7, 2009 at 3:13 AM

I can't recommend anywhere specific, but suggest you look at www.venere.com for hotel options on the island.

You will certainly find a use for the baby backpack, although you will also be perfectly ok using a pushchair (stroller) on much of the island. The litle lanes are cobbled, but not so much that the ride will be terribly bumpy. And strollers are more comfortable for longer walks than backpacks, for adult and for child.

Capri is really about walking more than anything else (apart from seeing-and-being-seen). It's a very small island, so just enjoy wandering its lanes. The walks to the Villa Jovis and to the Arco Naturale are both lovely, and both places are worth visiting.

I think you might enjoy a day or two off the island. You can find info about ferries and timetables here:

http://www.capri.net/en/ship-timetable

Perhaps spend a day exploring Sorrento (there are some children's playgrounds, although your daughter is really too young to really need them) or take the Metro del Mare boats down to Amalfi or Positano. www.metrodelmare.com

Your daughter is young enough not to really bother what happens, as long as she is in your company, so I suggest you plan for things which will interest you. Perhaps a trip to Pompeii using the Circumvesuviana train from Sorrento? Takes about 30 minutes, costs very little, stops directly outside the site entrance.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines