Cape Canaveral Travel Answers

change location

Shuttle launch in November 2009

by zwarttom Online Now Oct 29, 2009 at 11:01 AM

This thread seems very old but I am hoping someone still see it on occasion.
Will be in Florida the week of the 16th when a shuttle launch is expected to
go forward and I was wondering if there were good places to watch other than
paying at Cape Canaveral?

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • leics's Profile Photo

Re: Shuttle launch in November 2009

by leics Online Now Oct 29, 2009 at 11:11 AM

Can't help with the question, but wanted to reassure you that your post will appear in the Florida, US and World forums as well as Cape Canavedral, so lots and lots of VT-ers will see it today, tomorrow and so on.

Hopefully, you'll get some good advice about viewpoints. :-)

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • OiKnow's Profile Photo

by OiKnow Online Now Oct 29, 2009 at 4:16 PM

The official information site is http://www.nasa.gov/ and this shows that the next shuttle launch is scheduled for November 16th. Beware that the schedules do change, sometimes at the last second.

The best place to see a launch is along US 1 in the north end of Titusville. The view across the Intercoastal Waterway (Indian River) gives a relatively unobstructed view of the launch pads (Look to the left (north) of the Verticle Assembly building, the big towers on the horizon are the launch pads.) Find someplace to park and walk down along the river front. Take along a portable radio so you can follow the launch on a local radio station. In recent years the crowds have thinned a great deal, I would still plan on being there an hour or so before the scheduled launch time and for it to take up to an hour to get out of town.

I lived in Titusville at the end of the Apollo project and beginging of the shuttle program. My parents still live in Titusville. I have watched probably 25 shuttle launches over the years. About 20 seconds after you see the lift off you will hear it and feel the earth shake. It is really worth the trip.

David

• Ewingjr98's Profile Photo

by Ewingjr98 Online Now Oct 31, 2009 at 11:19 AM

There are lots of options to see the shuttle launch from a distance. We live in Tampa, about 100 miles from Cape Canaveral, and we like to sit on the dock with the radio picking up the mission control feed as we watch the shuttle take off in the distance. I have also seen rockets launched from this distance, and it is impressive (though not as good as being up close!). Just find a spot with a clear view of the horizon, and you are likely to see the shuttle from most anywhere in central Florida!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines