Cape Canaveral Travel Answers

change location

Shuttle launch April 24 2008 8.30 am

by airfence Online Now Feb 3, 2008 at 10:11 AM

Any body out there who has "inside knowledge of the VERY BEST VIEWING AREA"
I have been unlucky so far on two occasions, when the launch was scrubbed in the final hours
Been eaten alive by midges at Titusville, and with twenty eight minutes to go
at the NASA Causway, ( at great expence) scrubbed once again
I dont want to have to see the KSC as I have now done it twice.I Have loads of e mail info on launch viewing sites and I am buried under a pile of print outs telling me DAELAWARE NORTHS ticket policies on viewing shuttle launches

So come on chaps any body got any ideas on how to "beat the system"
its a long way to keep traveling from England to keep missing this spectacle
so please would you ask any of the folks who just "may be able" to make my dream come true
thanks ... heres hoping 3rd time lucky

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • bonio's Profile Photo

Re: Shuttle launch April 24 2008 8.30 am

by bonio Online Now Feb 3, 2008 at 11:11 AM

We watched a shuttle launch from Cocoa Beach, maybe eight miles away over the water, as it was a night time launch it was an amazing spectacle.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • BlueCollar's Profile Photo

by BlueCollar Online Now Mar 2, 2008 at 12:51 PM

I grew up watching launches from the Cape. The Apollo missions were always a joy and always seemed to go as scheduled. The Shuttle has been more tempermental because of weather at emergency landing sites as well as mechanical issues.

Your biggest enemy in seeing the launch is it being scuttled - as has already happened to you. The last mission launch had several delays that lasted weeks.

Aside from that, the easiest place to see the launch is along US 1 at Menzlo Park. I have watched it a few times from that place. You will be about 11 miles from the launchpad. Follow the below link to Google Maps and you will see the "Satellite" photo of the area. Launchpads are on the far right and the Indian River Lagoon Scenic Hwy (US 1) is on the left. Zoom in to see Menzlo Park on US 1.

maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=...

Keep in mind that you need to get there VERY EARLY on launch day. Pack at least a picnic lunch or a tailgate party feast and plan to be there all day. Bring plenty of food and drink because traffic is tied up for long after the launch goes or when it's scuttled. Slather on plenty of SPF 30 sunscreen (Brits burn before they'll ever tan :) ), sit back, and enjoy the day - launch or not.

by BlueCollar Online Now Mar 12, 2008 at 1:16 AM

Update (sort of):

Not that this any indication of future performance, but the launch yesterday morning went right on schedule. I didn't bother to get out there because it was a 2:30AM launch, but the night launches are usually spectacular. I just thought I would let you know.

by BlueCollar Online Now Apr 2, 2008 at 2:26 PM

I saw on the news that this flight has been delayed a week. Check your schedule and adjust it if you can.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines