Cape Canaveral Travel Answers

change location
tony248's Profile Photo

Is the expense worth it?

by tony248 Online Now Sep 5, 2004 at 9:24 AM

There is a lot of discussion in the US today about the cost of space exploration. I hear comments about lives and money being wasted. There have been many advances in science and technology from the space program. Has it been worth it? Why send humans to space ? I know what I think about it . What do you think?

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • paulinuk2u's Profile Photo

Re: Is the expense worth it?

by paulinuk2u Online Now Sep 5, 2004 at 9:40 AM

might as well we wont be here much longer

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Lazyandfair's Profile Photo

Re: Is the expense worth it?

by Lazyandfair Online Now Sep 6, 2004 at 4:47 PM

Was it or will it be worth it eh? Many people think that the antithesis of success is failure, I would say that this is not correct when discussing research and development( R&D). You can only succeed or fail if you try, to not even examine the possibility of a result is worse than failure, it is bankrupt. With research, even a failure is a result and usually opens the door to new questions while answering others. So, in effect, a failure is still a success, it provides information in what not to do., As for space exploration, as crude as it is today, advancments in mediacl research, primarily cancer research, have seen vast improvments. Exploration is also critical. We need to understand our environment as much as possible in order to manipulate it as efficently as we can. Some don't understand this and I usually tell them that I'm sure glad people like the Polish born Copernicus, Galileo or Magellan didn't feel like it just wasn't worth it. Finally spending in th U.S is a fiasco all in itself. With all the pork barrel spending and entitlement we have in this country, NASA is the least of our worries. Space exploration is not something that can be financed by the state, it must be a Federal program with regulation and standardization uniformly recognized. Space exploration is a necessary and important cause, the benifits can be endless. Explore now while it is a "want", wait and it may just have to rise from privation. Regards, Phillip

• urban4est's Profile Photo

Re: Re: Is the expense worth it?

by urban4est Online Now Sep 6, 2004 at 5:10 PM

Worth it in what way? Is the expense worth what we have and may still learn? Definitely it has been a small investment for the knowledge returned. Is it a worthwile expense compared to spending in other ways? I think it is worthwhile because the knowledge from space exploration influences all mankind whithout being positive or negative but rather adding to and altering our foundation of knowledge. More is wasted on things that cause direct harm, that the money spent on space is of little consequence. What other investment does so much to lift the hopes of mankind or offer to bring him out of intellectual darkness.

• Re: Is the expense worth it?

by explorer49 Online Now Jul 21, 2009 at 1:34 PM

Positively worth it, we need to find out as much information about the universe in order for our species to survive in the future.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines