Cape Breton Island Travel Answers

change location

Going Green--How to get around the Cabot Trail without a Car and no bikes

by lisafedele Online Now Jul 2, 2010 at 12:22 PM

We are coming by train and are travelling with 4 kids. We can't bike the Cabot Trail and don't want to rent a car. Our plan is tocamp at Brodcove near Ingonish in the National Park and bike around enjoy the beaches and hiking trails then pack-up after a week and hit another camping location near a beach.

We can't bike the trail with the kids or lug all our camping equipment on the bikes. We need to get from Thuro to Ingonish with 6 bikes, our bags, tent and camping gear. Ha! Going green is not easy.

I expected the Cabot Trail to have daily "Shuttles" or at least taxi service from point A to point B. I can't even get to Inongish! A ferry from Sydney to Inongish would be great but there is none despite there being a town called Ingonish Ferry (Google that and wonder why there is no schedule posted!)

Any insight? We plan to leave in a few days. Renting a van doesn't even solve the problem because we can't bring 6 bikes in the van unless we add roof racks and back racks.

Thank you,

Lisa

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • Re: Going Green--How to get around the Cabot Trail without a Car and no bikes

by romrai Online Now Jul 3, 2010 at 6:08 PM

You are going to have a problem. I think you will have to use the local bus service. Acadian bus lines, travels all around nova scotia. I don't think there is a shuttle service. Where are you coming to, by train. Halifax? Really consider a van with a trailer and pile everything in it. It is the best idea. The transportation service in NS is lacking. No schedule for Ingonish ferry, cause its just a town's name...go figure. Its a lovely area and green too, but that's just a colour.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer

by lisafedele Online Now Jul 7, 2010 at 9:45 AM

Thank you. It was an interesting problem for us to try to solve, in the end even Acadian bus line didn't serve the Cabot Trail and getting fromtheir drop-off point to the campsite with all the gear was almost impossible.

We have decided to wait and do the trip another year when we are prepared to drive instead of taking the train. It is a shame though.

Lisa

by TheresaRutledge71 Online Now Jul 13, 2010 at 9:00 AM

The beaches and hiking trails best do your best to be hit by another camping location

by kephartg Online Now Jul 20, 2010 at 6:29 PM

Sorry to hear about your problems. I live in halifax and my wife is from cape breton, so I kinow the place well. You will not find public transportation to meet your needs. However, you should contact an outfit called freewheeling adventures which specializes in supporting bicycle tours of NS. They also handle sea kayaking tours along with the bikes. Their website is freewheeling.ca/#canadaNovaS...

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Cape Breton Island