Cape Breton Island Travel Answers

change location

Most efficient way to drive to Cape Breton

by NewEngland04 Online Now Sep 11, 2008 at 11:09 AM

This question is about the most efficient way to travel to Cape Breton Island by automobile. My son has moved to the island and I would like him to have his car.

From the research I've done today, it seems that I could save time by taking a ferry from Portland, Maine to Yarmouth, Nova Scotia rather than driving the entire way.

I would greatly appreciate other considerations or advice you may have. Thanks very much in advance!

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • Re: Most efficient way to drive to Cape Breton

by NewEngland04 Online Now Sep 12, 2008 at 8:02 AM

After I posted my question I noticed that I had forgotten to say where I was driving from. I will be driving from Boston. I thought I might be able to save a number of hours by taking the ferry from Portland or Bar Harbor to Yarmouth, Nova Scotia continuing on to Cape Breton.

Your response makes me think that it may not be as logical a solution as I had thought!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • babygrand's Profile Photo

Re: Most efficient way to drive to Cape Breton

by babygrand Online Now Sep 14, 2008 at 7:14 PM

You will save time and have a more relaxed journey taking the CAT, if you can afford it. The drive from Boston to Portland isn't that bad, and the ferry is high speed. (3 hours from Bar Harbour) The drive from Yarmouth to Cape Breton is about 7-8 hours, depending on "pit stops". However, if you drive up to Calais, through St. Stephen, you can go to St. John, and catch the Digby ferry (a 3 hour crossing at a lower price, and drive up Nova Scotia to Cape Breton, or you can drive up through New Brunswick and cross into Nova Scotia near Amherst. The roads are quite good, and I think there's one section around there that's a toll road. Either way is nice, but I think it's slightly less driving from Digby than if you stick with New Brunswick, but I'm not really sure. You can go on Google earth to find the distance and time from Boston to Calais, and that will give you a good idea if you want to go that way.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Cape Breton Island