Cape Breton Island Travel Answers

change location
ashakasey's Profile Photo

Want to visit Cape Breton 2008 and I need HELP!

by ashakasey Online Now May 6, 2008 at 10:41 PM

We are traveling to Bar Harbour ME from NJ. From there we are taking the ferry " The Cat ". to Nova Scotia. We would like to visit Cape Breton.
1. Bar Harbor- any ideas of where to stay by the water. Restaurants?
2. Anybody go on " The Cat"? How was it?
3. Cape Breton. Where to stay, restaurants to go to . Good lobster places to eat?
4. ANY INFO is a great help! I have never been to any of the above places and I don't have a lot of$$$$$. Pls reply.
Thank you.......

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • winterson's Profile Photo

Re: Want to visit Cape Breton 2008 and I need HELP!

by winterson Online Now May 7, 2008 at 1:11 AM

Hi
    I did Cape Breton and Acadia NP a couple of years ago and enjoyed the drive. I did not take the CAT so can't help you there. But I did stay in Bar Harbour at the ACACIA HOUSE HOTEL in downtown Bar Harbour and it was fine (I was travelling solo)and it cost me under50 bucks (off Season). I understand they have done a major refurbishment so I don't know what they are charging now. Its more a B&B than a hotel and has less than 10 rooms I think, but its in a good spot (High Street) and all the locations you need are within walking distance, ie restaurants, CAT ferry & waterfront. There is parking at the hotel as well. Google them to see if they have a WEB site. (just found them check out: http://www.acaciahousehotel.com/)

In Cape Breton I stayed in the charming village of Baddeck, which I recommend. Unfortunately I forgot the name of the place I stayed (cottages) a property once owned by Alexander Graham Bell! But check out: visitvictoriacounty.com/badd...

Hope this helps a little
    John

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Pomerol's Profile Photo

by Pomerol Online Now May 7, 2008 at 6:00 AM

The Cat is great ...when it is working properly. I took it twice early on and at the beginning they were having trouble with the engines so it wasn't going as fast as it could. Price is a little steep but it sure is a fun boat ride.

I haven't made it as far as Cape Breton but have done the stretch up to Halifax afew times. If you're into seafood, do stop in Digby for a nice stroll in this lovely town and of course have some scallops as Digby claims to be the scallop capital of the world.

Have fun. NS is a beautiful province.

• nhicks603's Profile Photo

by nhicks603 Online Now Jun 5, 2008 at 4:57 PM

Gas is more expensive in Canada. There are not a lot of restaurants in Cape Breton - but if you drive the Cabot Trail all the towns have something to offer, however modest. Beware, the sidewalks roll up early everywhere. If you take the Caileigh trail, there's the Manatoo and Admiral Tavern in Port Hood, The Red Shoe in Mabou (local music too!) and the Hof in Inverness. After that Margaree and Cheticamp. Just try to get dinner before 7PM. The Cabot Trail is one of the most beautiful rides I've ever taken. The Gulf of St Laurence side is all steep mountains plunging to the sea, the Atlantic side is like 1950's Maine - beautiful and sparcely populated. Bras d'Ore lakes is magnificent. I've never been to Sydney or Glace Bay - old Mining communities and more populace. I plan on visiting Louisburg this summer. Port Hood has Chestico days 1st week of August. We rent a place every year and bring a propane cooker and a big pot. We buy seafood from the local Caleigh (fish co-op) and cook it our selves. Hope you make it up there - a long ride from NJ but worth it.

• babygrand's Profile Photo

by babygrand Online Now Jul 14, 2009 at 9:03 AM

Check the schedules... the Cat only comes from Bar Harbour two days, and the other five from Portland. This is a change from previous years. Also depending upon what time of day you arrive, you may want to break your journey. It's about a 7 hour drive to Cape Breton. And yes gas is a bit high. For a nidsize car, (Hyundai sonata) it costs us about60.00 to go that far. However, there are some nice bed and breakfasts that you can save money. also some of the chaines, like Best Western (they give one free night for two or something like that if you have their customer value card). I live in Yarmouth, the stopping point for the Cat, so if you want any info from this part of Nova Scotia, let me know.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Cape Breton Island