Cape Breton Island Travel Answers

change location

driving to Cape Breton from Portland, Maine...

by danikr129 Online Now Aug 1, 2007 at 4:34 PM

My boyfriend and i are going to drive to Cape Breton for a week's worth of backcountry camping. mapquest says that it takes 11 hours to get there...is that true? if so, where is a good spot to camp halfway from portland to say..baddeck?? we dont have to camp on the way up, any suggestions of a nice town/city to stay in would be awesome! and if anyone knows any amazing backcountry hikes in CB i would greatly appreciate it!!

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • babygrand's Profile Photo

Re: driving to Cape Breton from Portland, Maine...

by babygrand Online Now Aug 1, 2007 at 7:37 PM

Driving up from Portland, do you go to Calais, then St. Stephens. you can go to Moncton, cross through Amherst, then up to Cape Breton. That probably is close to 11 hours driving.

Best stop for campers? About half-way you find:

Mactaquac Provincial Park is a year-round recreational facility consisting of a 300-site campground, two supervised beaches, marinas, nature trails and a day use area, York Centennial Park. For further information, call (506) 363-4747.

Conveniently located within the campground is the Camper's Convenience Store & Canteen offering groceries, propane, firewood and Laundromat services. You will also find a recreation centre, kitchen shelters, washroom facilities (with hot showers), and a mini-golf course in the campground.

Discover the beauty of this 500-hectare masterpiece along one of the several walking trails (one is wheelchair accessible) or spend the day on the beach; you can windsurf; canoe, fish or have a picnic.

In the mood for some fine dining in a unique atmosphere? Then head for the Mactaquac lodge, located near the golf course, we offer licensed dining in a large Scandinavian design lodge. Call for your reservation (506) 363-4145 or just drop in.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • easterntrekker's Profile Photo

by easterntrekker Online Now Aug 4, 2007 at 6:27 PM

WE just got back from Cape Breton today . WE drove from Portland and crossed at Houlton Maine . ( you can also cross at Calais ) . Either way you can then make your way to Moncton . It is only about a 6 hour drive to Moncton. Moncton to Baddeck is about 4-5 hours. We didn't camp but you'll see lots of campgrounds on your way through. Moncton area is a french canadian area and is a fun place to visit. Have fun!!

• sanjuro66's Profile Photo

by sanjuro66 Online Now Aug 5, 2007 at 6:48 PM

Hello there i've been on the road for several days. I flew from California to Boston. 1)Drove from Boston Ma.-Scarborough Me. Scarborough-Halifax Nova Scotia (13 hours). Halifax N.S.-Baddeck N.S. Baddeck N.S.-Fredericton, New Brunswick. Now I am in Beauport, Quebec and will be heading to Saint Donat, Quebec tomorrow. My final stop will be West Danville, Vermont.......Sorry for babbling so much. I noticed that most of the tourists are in Baddeck. If you want to get away from it all, there are several areas along the Cabot trail where you can camp. (Plenty of areas-just explore). What was amazing is that for the first time in my entire life I heard Scottish Gaelic being spoken. Apparently the only two places where you can here this is Cape Breton and the Scottish Highlands. If you want to check out some of the Acadian French lifestyle, The westside of Cape Breton has the Cheticamp and Margaree Harbour areas. Enjoy. Cape Breton is AMAZING.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Cape Breton Island