Cape Breton Island Travel Answers

change location
KingRay3's Profile Photo

Places to stay

by KingRay3 Online Now Sep 10, 2005 at 3:40 PM

I would like to rent a cottage/house type of place next summer on Cape Breton. If anyone has advice on this, please let me know. I am looking for information on best town, location, preferably by the beach or lake. Should accomodate 4 people and can be up to 2000 CDN for a week. I am thinking of late August too, and would like to know what time of year is the best to visit Cape Breton.

Thanks
Ray

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • easterntrekker's Profile Photo

RE: Places to stay

by easterntrekker Online Now Sep 15, 2005 at 7:19 PM

Hi

If you like boating or swimming , I would recommend the Bras d'or . Lakes ...somewhere around the village of Baddeck . The Lake is actually an inland sea . There are several little villages all around the lake, Baddeck being one of the larger.There are some good restaurants around the area too.Baddeck is the starting point for the Cabot Trail ...a must do when visiting cape Breton.
    Another good choice would be on the Mira River.This is closer to the city of Sydney.The Mira is great fun and offers wonderful swimming and fishing etc.There are lots of cotages to rent in this area as well.

The earlier you go in August the better ....the evenings start cooling off towards the end of the summer.

Here is a link for some rentals ( Probably will be a lot less than2000.00 per week. cottagelink.com/cottlink/nov...

Have fun!!
    Anita

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • airkarat's Profile Photo

RE: Places to stay

by airkarat Online Now Sep 23, 2005 at 6:02 AM

http://www.bighillretreat.com/

My friend Jeff from Cape Breton recommended this place near Baddeck - Big Hill Retreat. Check out their new Spruce Cottage. Jeff had recommended Baddeck in general as a base, because it wasn't too far to travel on the arrival and departure days, and because there is a nightlife (especially on the music front).

Best beaches according to Jeff were Ingonish and the adjacent beaches. However I was planning on going in the shoulder-season, and Jeff thought the beaches would be spectacular when secluded from tourists. I don't know how that changes in the summer.

Jetsgo airline went kaput so I didn't go afterall ;(

• RE: RE: Places to stay

by ThePunisher Online Now Dec 17, 2005 at 3:01 AM

I was around the Cabot Trail last week (Dec 13-15th watching the moose hunt) stayed at "Sleepy Hollow" cabins in Ingonish ..Was100.00 per night ($130 in summer) could see the Atlantic Ocean thru the bush so it was close to the Ocean ..I would HIGHLY recommend it.. Cottage had kitchen (fridge,stove,microwave) & 2 bedrooms cable TV (with even the movie channels) They have 3 cottages 2 are 2 bedroom 1 is 3 bedroom it's 2 story...

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Cape Breton Island