Canyonlands National Park Travel Answers

change location
goodfish's Profile Photo

Chesler Park/Joint Trail Loop - Needles

by goodfish Online Now Jul 6, 2011 at 6:52 PM

Wondering if anyone has hiked this in the past year or two? I'm reading that it's fairly well maintained and marked - possibly more well marked than in the past. If anyone has, would love some insights into spots to be especially aware of, if any. We would, of course, hit up the rangers for info when we get there but any firsthand advice (other than taking water/food/maps/etc.) would be appreciated. Thanks!

Quote & Answer
47 Answers
  • pfsmalo's Profile Photo

Re: Chesler Park/Joint Trail Loop - Needles

by pfsmalo Online Now Nov 26, 2011 at 4:44 AM

Pleased to help, you must have had a fantastic time.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • goodfish's Profile Photo

by goodfish Online Now Nov 26, 2011 at 4:50 AM

Fantastic is the word: the best hiking trip we've taken to date (for a couple of middle-aged folks with occasionally disobedient knees).

by pfsmalo Online Now Nov 26, 2011 at 4:54 AM

Haha, I've got the knee problem as well. Wait 'til you get the ankles as well...

• RoscoeGregg's Profile Photo

Re: Hooray!!

by RoscoeGregg Online Now Nov 26, 2011 at 2:41 PM

Kate,

Sounds like you had a real tour de force trip. I would do any of the hikes that you listed over again. Many people visit the region and never get to half the sites you did. No wonder your legs are feeling it.

We were in little Wild Horse and Bell just last week. It was as nice as I remembered. I am glad you got to see it.

Keep on Truckin’

Randy

by goodfish Online Now Nov 26, 2011 at 2:47 PM

Aw Man!!! I am SO jealous!!!!!

Was there water in them?? It would be just the tiniest little bit more fun next time if it was dry. Not that it was too terrible but sliding off some of the pourovers into muddy water of uncertain depth took some caution? I was also never sure what kind of loose rock was at the bottom of those pools...

Again. Must do that one and Chesler/Joint again. And Fisher Towers without a flippin thunderstorm coming in. :)

by RoscoeGregg Online Now Nov 26, 2011 at 2:52 PM

Thunderstorms are so dramatic in the desert. I love the smell and light.

We had little water. I still have not come up with the perfect footwear for wet canyon hikes. I have been doing them since I was just a kid and still that first dunk is always a bit of a wake up.

by goodfish Online Now Nov 26, 2011 at 3:01 PM

I'd read that a couple of the slots on the list might have quite a bit of water so we took along water shoes wrapped in plastic bags. Had hoped to be able to three-point or stem around the pools but no go - too much of it at points too wide for midget me. We had places thigh deep on me but thankfully the levels had dropped a bit from what they had been a day or so before.

Either of you done Negro Bill in Moab? That was on the schedule after Fisher Towers but it poured most of that afternoon.

by pfsmalo Online Now Nov 27, 2011 at 2:36 AM

Morning Kate,

I did Negro Bill in 2003. Nice walk on a pretty easy trail to the bridge. There is a stream in there that wasn't deep or running hard when I was there in the September and easy to cross (no need for water shoes). I was told that there is poison ivy in the canyon but I never saw any, but be careful just in case. Another nice one, although can be torrid on the slickrock under the sun is the Corona Arch trail. When you get up there it is almost the same feeling as Delicate Arch, just sitting there on the bowl, although it doesn't have the same backdrop and is more like Rainbow Bridge. On the way there is also the the small Bowtie Arch to be seen.

by goodfish Online Now Nov 27, 2011 at 2:56 AM

'Morning, Paul! :)

Yes, we did Corona and it was another great hike! I'm fairly sure, based on the torrent of rain the afternoon we had to cancel N. Bill, that we would have had to have hip waders or SWIM to do that one. Seriously, they had an usual amount of heavy rain during our week and it caused some real havoc with unpaved roads, trails and whatnot.

In my Canyonlands warnings and dangers, I included a (bad) photo of Yours Truly scrambling out of a low place in the The Joint during an unexpected downpour. Thank goodness we hadn't yet reached the fissure and knew enough to wait out the worst before even THINKING about that.

"Water Hazards" - Canyonlands National Park Warnings Or Dangers Tip by goodfish

by pfsmalo Online Now Nov 27, 2011 at 3:08 AM

That looks like one big bad downpour Kate. It can never be stressed enough about the dangers of slot canyons, even when the sun is shining. Btw, that is a beautiful photo of the approaching storm, caught the light just right.

by goodfish Online Now Nov 27, 2011 at 3:36 AM

Thanks, Paul - that means a lot coming from a REAL photographer!!

by pfsmalo Online Now Nov 27, 2011 at 3:50 AM

Haha Kate, thanks, but I'm no more real than the next guy. A bit more front than a lot perhaps when it comes to taking people photos, a bit more discerning for myself first before throwing the camera to eye, but those are skills that can be learnt.

by goodfish Online Now Nov 27, 2011 at 3:56 AM

I have a brand new Canon G12 (took on that trip) and am in a panic about learning to use the manual settings. The book I bought with it has only added to the confusion, and I'm having trouble locating/coordinating all those things which are supposed to create lovely snaps.

But I will persevere. I guess what is nice about digital is that you CAN shoot (and delete) several thousand photos in hopes of getting a few keepers? Sure could use a few lessons from you....HA!!!

by RoscoeGregg Online Now Nov 27, 2011 at 6:44 AM

Kate,

Lots of nice photos and great tips. I noticed that some of the ratings were in the low 3's. What is up with that? Why would people be so stingy about such great tips?

Did you really like your new camera? I was looking at picking up a new one.

Randy

by goodfish Online Now Nov 27, 2011 at 6:55 AM

Gosh, thanks so much for the kind and encouraging words, Randy. Interestingly enough, my National Park pages don't see that much activity: people seem to be more interested in cities. Case in point: there has only been one forum question for gorgeous Acadia National Park during the entire history of Virtual Tourist. That's just a shame.

But oh well, it's a joy to find kindred spirits like you and Paul to share the love of parks and especially canyon country with so will continue to bang out those tips - even if no one reads them or finds them to be mediocre. I do TRY to make them interesting!

by goodfish Online Now Nov 27, 2011 at 6:58 AM

Sorry - didn't finish the post....

Yes, I do like the camera and thought it took good point-and-shoots. There is also a setting that is really easy to get to that helped me manage light - although I have a LOT of work to do there. I bought it at a pro camera store (versus a Best Buy or similar) and a couple of the photographers who work there own it and love it.

by RoscoeGregg Online Now Nov 27, 2011 at 7:27 AM

Kate,

There is a reason that once you are 1000 meters off the road the population of humans drops dramatically. I personally think that this is a good thing. As the postmistress of San Rosalia in Mexico said with an eye roll and head nod. "Bad roads good people, Good roads all kinds of people.

As I see it the nice thing about your park pages is that a person on that one big trip to America would be able to look at them and plan a trip that would allow them to have a meaningful experience. These places are so large that you could wander for days and really see very little.

Like my Granddaddy told me about the number of people at church "Sonny the important thing is the quality not the quantity."

Thanks for the camera input.

Happy Trails

Randy

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines