Canterbury

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• Nightlife in Eastbourne

Eastbourne Apr 16, 2014 at 3:09 PM

What are the options for best nightlife in eastbourne during easter weekend

more
    • resturants

Porlock Mar 31, 2014 at 4:01 PM

did there used to be a fish resturant in porlock

more
    • Arbuckle's Profile Photo

Advice on Burslem, Please?

Stoke-upon-Trent Yesterday

Hi. It looks like I'm going to have to relocate from the East Midlands to Burslem and I really need the (sensible) advice of Stoke residents about a particular neighbourhood.

It's the Joseph Street/Billinge Street/Lyndhurst Street neighbourhood, on the north side of Newcastle Street.

Is it a bearable area to live in? Or does it have any sort of a reputation for stuff like antisocial student behaviour or any other kind of antisocial behaviour?

I must say it looks pretty seedy on Google Street View, but then that's Stoke for you, isn't it? It's an unpretentious, scuffed sort of post-industrial city and famous for it, but the folk who live there are supposed to be okay. Mind you, I appreciate that areas can change very swiftly indeed these days due to economic migration, so frankly I don't know what to assume about that particular neighbourhood.

Can anyone shed any light?

Many thanks.

more
    • Separately booked flights - Checked bag collection

Heathrow Apr 16, 2014 at 6:49 PM

I have booked my flights separately (coming in and going out of LHR). Do I need to exit the transit area, means do I need go through immigration/customs just to collect my checked bags and board the next flight?
      Thank you for your help and time!

more
    • wimbledon-things to do?

Wimbledon Apr 16, 2014 at 3:27 PM

what is there do see or do if there is no tennis

more
    • Hotel & Airport Transport

Southampton Apr 9, 2014 at 5:23 PM

Flying into Heathrow in early October for a 14-day roundtrip cruise from Southampton. My friend and I will need a good decently priced hotel for a night or two and also a good transportation company to and from Heathrow to Southampton and return trip.

more
    • resturants

Porlock Mar 31, 2014 at 3:56 PM

did there used to be a fish resturant in porlock or on the hill

more
    • Rainbow Cottage MALTON

Malton 3 hours ago

Hi, My husband and I are planning a trip to UK and am wondering if anyone knows if Rainbow Cottage in Malton still exists. My grandmother was born there in 1897 and her brother was born in Norton.. We are travelling from Australia and will be our first visit to the UK. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

more
    • Diving Lundy

Clovelly Yesterday

Hi,
      We are staying/diving on Lundy Island but picking a dive boat up from Clovelly.
      With heavy dive equipment we need to drop off dive & camping equipment to the boat & leave 2-3 cars in Clovelly.
      Could you please advise on dropping off equipment & 3 days parking close to the habour....!!!!!!

more
    • jbinllb's Profile Photo

Accommodations

London Apr 7, 2014 at 3:40 PM

Tossing around the idea of picking up a pair of tickets to the Monty Python show at the O2 in July, most probably on the 20th. My son (27) and I (57) would be attending together, and spending 4 or 5 days in London, arriving by air to either Heathrow or Gatwick. Looking for suggestions for accommodations - easy access from/to the airport would be nice, easy access to the O2 (tube okay) even better; room doesn't need to be 5 star, just clean and safe - hotel, hostel, b&b all okay. Thanks!

more
    • paddington28's Profile Photo

Excell expedition centre

London Apr 4, 2014 at 8:15 AM

How do i get to the excell expedition centre in London,from victoria coach station,and how long roughly will it take me to get there

more
    • whats on in goathland

Goathland Apr 3, 2014 at 3:21 AM

is there anything special happening in goathland on 22nd june 2014 as im going on a coach trip there on that day

more
    • grand national 2014

Blackpool Mar 23, 2014 at 4:51 PM

looking to find a bus that will be running from blackpool to aintree on the 5th april for grand national day trip

more
    • MatteoT's Profile Photo

toxteth visit

Liverpool Yesterday

hi everyone!
      My name's Matteo and i'm italian

i'll be in liverpool for my first time next week and in particular i'd like to visit ringo's childhood houses in madryn street and arnold grove. I'd like to take a bus (i think i have to take n° 82 from liverpool one to high park street in toxteth) and then walk through this area. But i read a lot of bad things about this area on the web, so i just want to ask you if take a walk through toxteth on saturday morning is a good idea or if i have to consider to take a cab. Thanks for your help.

more
    • how to get around on public transport

Newquay Apr 13, 2014 at 1:54 PM

where are the best place's to see and how to get around on public transport thank you

more
    • Good (!) Indian restaurant

London Apr 13, 2014 at 11:45 AM

I was wondering where are the best spots to eat Indian food in London. I know about Brick Lane but is it really

more
    • Agraichen's Profile Photo

Harwich cruise logistics

London Apr 7, 2014 at 10:13 AM

I'm looking at the logistics for a Harwich - Copenhagen cruise. It's been some time since I've been in London, but never found the trains too difficult. Any suggestions my thoughts of staying a few days in London, then taking the train to Harwich in the AM to board the ship? Or would it be better to travel the day before and overnight in Harwich just to be on the safe side of the trip?

At the end I'm debating on taking Easyjet (or other) from Copenhagen back to London to attempt at some round trip savings on air fare from SAN in the US as opposed to two one-way trips. Thoughts from those that travel Europe frequently?

more
    • distance in miles

Manchester Mar 28, 2014 at 11:54 AM

how far is wythenshaw forum from piccadilly train station in miles in a taxi how much should it coszt

more
    • transportation & activities from cruise ship in port at Portland UK

Portland Mar 22, 2014 at 1:44 PM

Looking for recommendations for activities for 12 hours in port in early May. We have been to Stonehenge. Interested in Portland Museum, scenic views and walks. Is there a car rental agency or taxis to get around?

more
    • September Rugby

England Mar 22, 2014 at 2:40 AM

We'll be in England the last two weeks of September. We would like to watch rugby - are there any websites with schedules? Thank you.

more
    • littlelawyer's Profile Photo

holiday with 1-2 yr old

Cornwall Apr 14, 2014 at 1:02 PM

Dear all, a friend of mine from Germany just mentioned that she'd like to visit Cornwall this year. She worries it would be too stressful and expensive with the long journey and a little girl, about 18 months old. I'd like to reassure her, having had a brilliant time there last year in Penzance. But I guess much of what I enjoyed, including the sleeper train, wouldn't be so easy with a baby!! And they'd be travelling from Germany. So I thought I'd just try asking if anyone more clued up than me has any advice / recommendations? L

more
    • csuresh's Profile Photo

One day to spend - tips

Lake District National Park Apr 12, 2014 at 2:58 PM

I am planning to travel from London by Train to Manchester. Then take rental car to Lake District. Then I wanted to spend till noon next day to make return journey. This means I will have almost full 24 hours to spend wisely. Please suggest me an itinerary.

more
    • how to make kids busy in southport?

Southport Apr 6, 2014 at 10:07 AM

i am planning three days in southport in may with my two wild kids. any suggestion to keep my kids busy and tied in southport apart from pleasureland.

more
    • local customs and traditions in bath

Somerset Apr 1, 2014 at 7:39 AM

what local customs and traditions does bath have

more
    • 10 am Flight Arrival May 2014 from US, Terminal 4

Heathrow Apr 1, 2014 at 3:13 AM

How long should be allowed for Immigration and Customs? What is the best transportation alternative from airport to SE1 with several pieces of luggage?

more
    • Christmas holidays in Canterbury

by Oleczka Online Now Nov 2, 2013 at 8:46 AM

Hi everyone! I'm planning to spend my Christmas holidays in Canterbury. Can you advise me a good hotel? Thanks for your help.

2 Answers Nov 3, 2013 at 1:34 AM
    • Independer's Profile Photo

I will be studyng at University of Kent on Sep 2013

by Independer Online Now Jul 24, 2013 at 11:48 PM

I will be studying at University of Kent on Sep 2013 and I want to know what is the best location for me and my family (wife and daughter) to stay? nearby the university and nearby the city center?
      what is better to take a flat of 1 bedroom or studi it will suit us?
      Can I find apartment while im there or it will be difficult?

10 Answers Aug 21, 2013 at 5:38 AM
    • toddler bank holiday weekend in canterbury

by scutters Online Now May 21, 2013 at 2:30 AM

Hello
      looking to be in canterbury may 26th bank holiday sunday / monday / tuesday
      have a 3 year old - looking for attratctions for him aswell

accomodation rapidly running out as limited budget
      any ideas across the board would be good

1 Answer May 21, 2013 at 4:47 AM
    • how many days in Canterbury

by alissa40 Online Now Apr 19, 2013 at 6:50 AM

Canterbury seems to be promoted as a day trip from London. Is there enough to do there for 4 days? Arrving by train/bus - no car.

11 Answers Apr 20, 2013 at 11:10 AM
    • SaraT58's Profile Photo

Bus prices

by SaraT58 Online Now Mar 26, 2013 at 2:39 PM

How much will a single adult bus fare cost me from Canterbury route No 3X to Maidstone?

3 Answers Mar 26, 2013 at 11:41 PM
    • Moving to Canterbury, never been-any feedback on the place?

by thailandblue Online Now Mar 15, 2013 at 5:16 PM

I am moving to Canterbury for a temporary job and would like to know any pros and cons about the place before I go. Any factual information will help a great deal, personal experience and personal opinions of the place would help also. Any feedback about the schools, the transportation, places to go, safety of the town, etc. would be much appreciated.

9 Answers Mar 26, 2013 at 11:47 PM
    • SandiM's Profile Photo

Canterbury tour companies

by SandiM Online Now Oct 3, 2012 at 8:30 AM

Can someone suggest a tourgroup or website I can contact that MIGHT do a daytrip from Canterbury to both Scotney Castle and Bodiam Castle? Without breaking the bank? We don't drive, must rely upon minivan tours or somesuch. Also posting in London thread, since we can take a train from London or start our tour from there.

9 Answers Oct 4, 2012 at 10:00 AM
    • Which beach toen to visit?

by cathy9510usa Online Now Sep 4, 2012 at 12:02 AM

Hi,

We'll be staying in Canterbury for 2 days, and since the coast is so close we'd like to take a Stagecoast bus to one of the nearby beach towns. Which is prettiest/most scenic or most worth visiting, in your opinion? Some options are Herne Bay, Whitstaple, Ramsgate, and Broadstairs. From Broadstairs is it easy to get to the beach with white cliffs?

Thank you for your help.

Cathy

7 Answers Sep 4, 2012 at 2:33 PM
    • Canterbury Cathedral in one afternoon???

by ddschur Online Now Apr 1, 2011 at 10:33 AM

First, I would like to thank anyone who responds to this question.

My wife and I will be departing Dover for a cruise in July and are arriving one day early.

We plan to rent a car and go to Canterbury to see the Cathedral leaving in the early afternoon.

I went on the Cathedral website to see about purchasing tix in advance and, it seems, that can't be done.

Now my question:

With only a half day to work with, can anyone provide me with some basic information re: parking, entrance to the Cathedral, events (Evening Song?) and any suggestions for a nice pub/restaurant for dinner prior to our return to Dover?

Again, thank you in advance to anyone who provides some insights/opinions/suggestions, etc.

9 Answers May 16, 2011 at 8:57 AM
    • lisselleC's Profile Photo

Ashford, canterbury or London? Or suiggestions please

by lisselleC Online Now Sep 2, 2010 at 7:32 AM

We are visisting a relative at Uni in Canterbury, travelling down from Yorkshire early on the Saturday morning. We will be finished with our visit at about 3-4pm. We can't decide whether to stay overnight in Canterbury (all the hotels have mixed reviews :( )or whether to go back up into London (we have rail tickets to return home from London to Yorkshire at 8.30 sun eve). Or we wondered if Ashford was a nice place to stay? I dont know the area at all and can only find Ashford as a station that the Canterbury to London train stops at.
      As an aside, we have pre-booked rail tickets for £24 each (single) from Wakefield to Canterbury. We have checked the websites for the fares into London and its about £25 each one way!!!! What a rip off.

13 Answers Sep 5, 2010 at 12:47 PM
    • ATLC's Profile Photo

15 year olds in Canterbury: what to do?

by ATLC Online Now Jun 29, 2010 at 9:40 PM

What would you have a class of 15-year olds do and see in Canterbury?
      These would not be English children and the visit would be, say... 2 days.

9 Answers Jul 2, 2010 at 10:29 AM
    • luggage in Canterbury

by gdehan Online Now May 17, 2010 at 7:39 PM

If you wanted to tour around Cantebury for the day, is there a hotel or place that you can check your luggage that would keep it for several hours? thanks, george

2 Answers May 18, 2010 at 1:22 AM
    • A day trip to Canterbury from Wembley

by bijalsa Online Now Dec 11, 2009 at 2:20 AM

Hey All,

We are planning a day trip to Canterbury in end of December from Wembley. It takes around 1.30 hrs one-way. Is one day enough for Canterbury and do you suggest any other cities of interest that I can club in with Canterbury?

Thanks.

12 Answers Dec 13, 2009 at 12:22 AM
    • jonathanbarker's Profile Photo

A day in Canterbury

by jonathanbarker Online Now Nov 8, 2009 at 7:40 AM

Hello, My friend and I are planning a day in Canterbury as my friend is very interested in the "Canterbury Tales" by Geoffrey Chaucer.

We are travelling by train and would like to have some recommnedations on good places to eat (our lunch) as well as exploring the city.

We are planning to see the Cathedral but would like to know more about the Chaucer trail and the history.

Our local bookshops didn't yield any copies of either the book or the film except for modern interpretations.

As my nephew is studying at the university we are hoping he can guide us in the city.

2 Answers Nov 8, 2009 at 8:04 AM
    • Dover to Canterbury

by bwerner Online Now Mar 4, 2009 at 10:45 PM

Hi. We are disembarking in Dover from a cruise on April 28th. We'd like to spend some time in Dover, then go to Canterbury, tour on our own there and stay overnight. Since we'll be hauling our luggage around, is there anywhere in Dover we could leave the luggage while we go to the castle, etc., before taking the train, or other transportation, to Canterbury?

Also suggestions for good B&B's in Canterbury and the best way to get to Heathrow from Canterbury would be appreciated. Thanks! I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to ask about Dover.

4 Answers Mar 5, 2009 at 10:25 AM
    • aatt's Profile Photo

a day trip out of london

by aatt Online Now Nov 18, 2008 at 2:33 AM

Hello everyone.
      I'll be visiting London in about two weeks (for the third time), and I think it's about time I pay a visit in attractions outside of London.
      I'll be traveling on public transportation so would it be wise to plan a day trip combining Dover castle and Canterbury.?
      If it is possible, which one should be my first stop, if my journey begins in London? What is the best route and means of transportation?

I'd appreciate some other ideas for daytrips outside of London (already traveled to Windsor, Rochester and Chatham).

Thank you very much for your time and attention,
      Rony

• Where to eat in Canterbury

by Wengills Online Now Aug 28, 2008 at 6:10 AM

Do you know of any restaurants in Canterbury that cater for a gluten free diet, or at least have a menu that identifies whether the meal contains gluten or not.

Thank you Wendy Green

• Suggestions for a scenic drive to Canterbury

by lled Online Now Apr 20, 2007 at 3:23 AM

Hello

I will be visiting Canterbury shortly and will be arriving at Dover around 11:00. As I am staying around Canterbury I wanted to know if there was a nice scenic drive from Dover to Canterbury which may take 2-3 hours perhaps taking in some of the coast. I don't mind going out of my way if there are any nice little towns to see. I will be driving on a Sunday and would also like to stop off at a little pub for a traditional lunch if anyone can suggest a children friendly place.

Thank you for help.

Dave

1 Answer May 2, 2007 at 8:31 AM
    • Train

by mcasey Online Now Apr 5, 2007 at 6:28 PM

How long does the train from Cantebury to London take? Thanks!

5 Answers May 8, 2007 at 7:04 AM
    • Canterbury experts -- Rail and bus advice please!

by k4cmd Online Now Apr 5, 2007 at 9:59 AM

Hello everyone! First post.

My family and I will be flying from the US in late September for an approximately 10-day stay in England. We have chosen to go the self-catering route and to make our "base" for travel in an apartment that is literally across the street from the West rail station in Canterbury (we have stayed in Ashford before). We intend to use the rail and bus services for our sightseeing tours to places such as Dover, Leeds Castle, Tenterden, etc., and for several day trips to London. We are unsure, as yet, of how many days we will actually be traveling by bus/rail, but I know we will be doing a lot of this kind of travel -- possibly as much as 10 days traveling by bus and rail. The total party will consist of four adults (one is a senior) and one 6-year-old child. The choices of multi-day rail passes are bewildering ... can any of you help in suggesting the best multi-day bus, rail and Underground tickets for the price? Are there any multi-day passes that combine any of these services? (Since we'll all be traveling together, it's OK if the suggestions are for multi-party passes.) Also (full of questions, here, yes), am I correct in assuming that most of the rail service in and around the southeast is second class, so no need to spring the extra money for first-class rail passes? (What is the difference between first and second class, anyway?) As for the arrival trip to Canterbury from Heathrow, I'm assuming we can hop on the Heathrow Express train to London, change trains in London, and take the Southeastern line to Canterbury West station via Ashford International. Is there any restriction to taking airline luggage on local trains? I'd hate to have to pay cab fare for that journey.

(When we were last in the UK, I remember purchasing a one-day rail card at Ashford International that paid for all rail and Underground passage for one day -- and it wasn't expensive. Do they still offer things like that?)

This will be my second time in the UK, and the first time we had hosts (via a sister city relationship with Ashford) who drove us everywhere we wanted to go in their personal cars. This time we want a little freedom to do what we want, when we want to -- hence the decision to rely on trains & buses without the hassle and worry of renting a car. Good idea? Bad idea? Suggestions? I await your expertise!

3 Answers Jun 1, 2007 at 7:01 AM
    • What is blooming in May and how is the weather? Also any lunch suggestions?

by 127 Online Now Mar 27, 2007 at 3:20 PM

Looking forward to a cruise stop in Dover for 8 hours. Is it possible to make easy connections to Canterbury on our own? The ship excursions are very expensive.

3 Answers Apr 3, 2007 at 5:23 AM
    • Need local advice!!

by RoseBuddd Online Now Feb 18, 2007 at 2:38 PM

I'm about to move to canterbury and am trying to hook up some accommodation before I go. I'm moving permanently but need somewhere to stay for a few months while I get settled. I've found a sharehouse via the internet which has some really friendly people staying in it, but it is located off Sturry Road down one of the subdivisions. I've heard this is a bad area, really grotty. Can anyone tell me if this is true?? I'd appreciate any advice on this part of town.
      Cheers.

2 Answers Dec 11, 2007 at 4:19 AM
    • kharvey's Profile Photo

Name of Buried

by kharvey Online Now Jan 16, 2007 at 1:43 PM

I have a picture of a shrine with a man on his back with hands together as if in prayer. It was taken in the basement and I believe it held a real body within the statue of the man. Can you tell me who this is/what it is about?

Thanks. I'm using this in an English class I'm teaching.

2 Answers Jan 16, 2007 at 11:46 PM
    • Info on County Hotel, Canterbury, High Street

by M.Goode Online Now Sep 23, 2006 at 5:53 AM

I know Canterbury very well ,Brought a friend to see.. Would like to book for two. Have tried to get brochure to bo told out of Print!!
      Has the name changed? I got on the internet.. Abode Canterbury

A brochure would give all I want to know.... We would like probably October but
      no date fixed.

Are all rates for Rooms fixed prices??
      Breakfast not included for all rooms ??
      Would it be difficult to book for October ??

1 Answer Sep 23, 2006 at 7:06 AM
    • Old Weavers Restaurant

by tebyrne Online Now Aug 24, 2006 at 1:37 PM

Last September, my family visited England. We ate at many wonderful places. One particular favorite of ours was some cole slaw we had. My Dad swears he ate it at the Old Weavers Restaurant but I remember that he ate roast beef and had peas with gravy for his meal and I don't think that he had cole slaw with it. Now we are going crazy trying to have this settled between us! Does anyone know if they serve cole slaw there and if they do, would they serve it with a meal of roast beef? I appreciate any insight anyone might have in bringing peace to our family.
      Sincerely,
      E Byrne
      California

5 Answers Dec 27, 2006 at 2:28 AM
    • kooka3's Profile Photo

Tracing the Canterbury Tales??

by kooka3 Online Now May 5, 2006 at 7:33 PM

Hi. I'm really interested in doing the original walk traced in Chaucer's Canterbury Tales. Does anyone know anything about doing this? Are there companies that have this mapped out? I've seen lots of companies who will help out in the walk across the Lakes District, so I was hoping there would something similar - help finding accom, maybe shuttle bags, etc. If there aren't these sorts of places that help, has anyone done this walk? Is it something worth investigating? Thanks.

5 Answers Oct 25, 2007 at 9:23 AM
    • Working

by JVR Online Now Sep 11, 2005 at 3:37 PM

Hello I´m a Spanish student boy who wants go for two or three months to live in Canterbury. I wish to know if it´s easy to find a Job in this town. My level of English is very basic, but i can work like a waiter or cleaner in a hotel, not in dirct and intensive trat with people until i could speak and usdertand better than now.
      So, If someone could advised me i were very grateful.

1 Answer Sep 26, 2005 at 7:24 AM
    • stevehallam's Profile Photo

hotel help

by stevehallam Online Now Jun 5, 2005 at 10:58 AM

Hi VT'ers

Anyone know of a hotel in canterbury or nearby that has rooms for 3 adults and 1 child. I'm trying to keep the price down on my trip to france and could do with out booking 2 seperate rooms for a one night stop on the way to the ferry port.

HELP

cheers

steve

3 Answers Jul 16, 2006 at 6:50 PM
    • nhcram's Profile Photo

Meeting - Can you make it??

by nhcram Online Now May 21, 2005 at 10:52 AM

Hi all, Rhineroll (Winfried) will be in Canterbury on July 10th. Can you make it for a meal and some drinks?? If you can I have posted a meeting in the meetings and events section. Look forward to seeing you.

1 Answer May 21, 2005 at 5:20 PM
    • Canterbury in the Winter

by HRHMychael Online Now Feb 8, 2005 at 12:37 AM

Is it wise to take a gourp trip to Canterbury in the early winter so as to avoid the summer time crowdedness? Also, regarding the gardens in Canterbury are they only in bloom in the spring and the rest of the time deftly unattractive, or are there seasonal winter flowers that replace the spring flowers? (in other words how does the west gate garden look in the winter) Also, another question, are there any places (other than climbing west gate) where you can get a good view of the city from up high? Thanks, HRH

3 Answers Feb 14, 2005 at 12:50 PM