Cannon Beach Travel Answers

change location
tarced's Profile Photo

Low Tide

by tarced Online Now Jul 25, 2009 at 6:00 PM

Hi everyone (again)!

My husband read that at low tide you can walk out to Haystack Rock. We will be there about 1 hour after the lowest tide - is that too late to be able to walk out to it?

Many thanks in advance for your responses!

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • glabah's Profile Photo

Re: Low Tide

by glabah Online Now Jul 29, 2009 at 12:53 PM

You'll want to be really careful with that. People have a nasty habit of getting stuck out there.

There are actually 3 Haystack Rocks in Oregon, but one is more famous than the rest:
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haysta...
    see section "other Haystack Rocks"
    My assumption is you are talking about the most famous of the rocks.

An hour would be really pushing it, I think. Depends on how rough the water is at the time as well as how deep.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • dengay's Profile Photo

Re: Low Tide

by dengay Online Now Jul 30, 2009 at 8:06 AM

It also depends on how low the tide is. If it is a minus tide when you are there(for example -1.3) then your chances will be better. The lower the tide the better. There is about a 45 minute period of slack water (little tidal change) at both the high and low tide that gives you extra time.

If you are able to view the tide pools at the base, PLEASE pay attention to the ocean. As the previous poster pointed out, people can and do get stranded when all of a sudden they look up and see the tide has come in and surrounded them.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines