Cannon Beach Travel Answers

change location

Stay away from Cannon Beach Vacation Rentals

by nwguy9 Online Now May 14, 2007 at 8:52 PM

Has anyone else had a bad experience with Cannon Beach Vacation Rentals, http://www.visitcb.com ???

I made a reservation in August, paid 1,000 to CBVR and then needed to cancel it, they said only if they could re rent it would they refund the money. This is in their contract so be VERY careful reading it. Its very different than hotels where you can cancel 24 hours in advance.

So basically if they cant find anyone to rent this during the week I cancelled, I have lost 1,000. Be aware of other vacation rental scams like this on the Oregon Coast.

Chris, Portland

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • kathymof's Profile Photo

Re: Stay away from Cannon Beach Vacation Rentals

by kathymof Online Now May 15, 2007 at 10:14 AM

This really isn't a scam - it was something that was disclosed in the conditions. Most rentals are like this. I am not familiar with this one but most are individuals who offer apts for rent through services. Hotels have lots of rooms and so do not take the financial hit that a single owner does when there is a cancellation. The same thing holds for most bed and breakfasts. The owners have a limited time in which to do business (the tourist season) and cannot afford cancellations. Many will recommend that you take out insurance for just such instances.

I would however email (using a different email account) a few weeks in advance to see if there is availabiity. If they write back saying there isn't, you will have the proof you need for your refund.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Stay away from Cannon Beach Vacation Rentals

by ltt Online Now May 15, 2007 at 2:00 PM

as stated, it's no scam if it's in their contract. you just didn't bother to read it.
    pretty standard for many private owners who rent their home/condo's out.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines