Cannero Riviera Travel Answers

change location

Cannero Riviera to Milan (MXP)

by 4hearthstone Online Now Jul 19, 2009 at 2:54 PM

What is the most direct route from C. Riviera (Lake Maggiore) to catch an 11am flight in Milan (MXP) - on a Saturday? Many thanks!

Quote & Answer
26 Answers
  • leics's Profile Photo

Re: Cannero Riviera to Milan (MXP)

by leics Online Now Jul 19, 2009 at 3:12 PM

By car? Use www.viamichelin.com which will give you route and estimated timings.

The nearest station is, I believe, Verbania-Pallanza (about 20km?). I think you'd need to book a taxi to get there, especially early in the morning (presumably you want to be at Malpensa for around 9am at the latest?).

You can get to Milan Centrale by train at 05:16 but otherwise the early trains from V-P go to Milan Porta Garibaldi station. Journey takes around 1h 20 mins, costs 5.40 euro one-way.

trenitalia.com/homepage_en.h...

will give you times and fares in English.

From Milan Centrale you can get a bus to Malpensa, or a train from Milan Cadorna station. Details of both in English here:

sea-aeroportimilano.it/en/ma...

You can take the Metro from Porta Garibaldi station to either Milan Centrale or Milan Cadorna.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Cannero Riviera to Milan (MXP)

by 4hearthstone Online Now Jul 19, 2009 at 3:19 PM

Thank You Leics.
    We may be trying to make too tight a travel connection! Would a cab to Stresa be exorbitant?? Or any other suggestion?? And then we could (hopefully) take the Alibis directly to MXP. On our arrival - we hv more time and will connect to C. Riviera by ferry from Stresa. Thanks for your tips.

• Manara's Profile Photo

by Manara Online Now Jul 19, 2009 at 4:09 PM

The route is rather complicated. You can catch the bus from Cannero to Intra at 6.32, then a city bus to the station (Intra, Verbania and Pallanza now form one city, but the railway station is far from the centre), then you get a train to Gallarate and from there the shuttle bus to Malpensa. If you leave that early you will be able to get the shuttle at 9 am and be at the airport at 9.30.

An alternative is ask Mr Micotti, a licensed taxi driver resident in Cannero, and ask him for a quote to Malpensa or to another location where you know you can get a direct transfer to Malpensa, his number is (+39)323787134. It is a mobile phone.

• Manara's Profile Photo

by Manara Online Now Jul 19, 2009 at 4:46 PM

I have checked the timetable of Alibus. If you want to use it it is not necessary to go all the way to Stresa, in fact the same bus that stops in Stresa leaves from Intra, which is closer to Cannero. However the only bus that fits your timetable is the one leaving from Intra at 6 am, which arrives in Malpensa at 7.20. The next one is at 9 am, and it arrives at the airport too late for your flight. You can check the timetable in this website: safduemila.com/files/alibus_...

You can consider taking a cab (Signor Micotti, as I suggested before) from Cannero to Intra on time for the Alibus.

As the author of the only page about Cannero Riviera in Virtual Tourist I feel involved in your search.

by 4hearthstone Online Now Jul 19, 2009 at 6:09 PM

Dear Manaro,
    You are indeed involved in our journey! Thank You!
    This sounds like a perfect solution!! We will connect with Signor Micotti (thank you for his contact info) upon our arrival in Cannero Riviera (we are there for 4 nights and perhaps will use his services otherwise). The last day of vacation is usually filled with travel connections - and very early mornings!! Your advice and prompt reply are much appreciated. We are staying at 'Hotel Cannero' on the recommendation of 2 sets of Canadian friends - and couldn't consider our trip to Italy complete without this stop on Lake Maggiore - albeit inconvenient!! Gracie. Jane from Toronto.

• Manara's Profile Photo

by Manara Online Now Jul 20, 2009 at 3:25 AM

I have just realized I made a mistake about Signor Micotti's number.
    His mobile phone is (+39)3489046323, his home phone number is (+39)0323787134.

• mccalpin's Profile Photo

by mccalpin Online Now Jul 20, 2009 at 8:56 AM

This suggestion may not be any easier than the others, but you could also look into taking the ferry across the lake to Luino (I think there is one, but I don't know when it runs) in time to catch the 07:23 train to Gallarate (arrive at 08:04), which leaves you plenty of time to take the bus over to Malpensa to check in by 9 a.m. or so. Perhaps Anna Maria knows when the ferries run...

One downside: if you miss that train, the next one doesn't leave until 08:52 and arrive at Gallarate at 09:47 - rather late for your purposes.

Bill

• Manara's Profile Photo

by Manara Online Now Jul 20, 2009 at 3:15 PM

That would be a very good idea Bill, since the crossing from Cannero to Luino normally takes 10 to 15 minutes, and moreover the Hotel Cannero is close to the landing. Unfortunately the first boat in the morning, which leaves Cannero at 7.00, goes first to Cannobio and only afterwards to Luino, so it arrives there at 7.45.
    The timetable for boats and ferries is here: navigazionelaghi.it/ita/mag/...

by mccalpin Online Now Jul 20, 2009 at 8:39 PM

Thanks for checking on the ferry(!)

Bill

by strether Online Now Jun 27, 2014 at 12:07 PM

I have another question about traveling from cannero riviera. We are traveling from cannero on public transport to nice. What is the easiest and cheapest way - what combination of boat? Bus and train? We have some leeway with times- I just don't want to arrive in nice too late.thank you!
    Sarah

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Jun 27, 2014 at 12:47 PM

Easiest and cheapest, I'm afraid, do not go together. Easiest would be to hire a car and drive (or, even easier, be driven) but that certainly won't be cheapest!

Nice is a long way away, so the best option (imo) is to get to the nearest railway station...Luino is probably the easiest to access...... and then take the train.

You can check ferry routes and timetables in English on

navigazionelaghi.it/eng/m_or...

You can check train times and details to Nice on the official German railway website:

bahn.com/i/view/overseas/en/...

I know that seems odd, but the official Italian railway website:

trenitalia.com/cms/v/index.j...

lists hardly any international journeys.

It's a long journey because it involves at least 3 changes of train. The only way to find fares is to look at a ticketing agency website such as www.raileurope.com but be aware that it does not list all departures and charges admin fees. Alternatively, I'd suggest you pop across to Luino a couple of days before your journey and buy tickets from the ticket office at the station....or there may be a small travel agency in the area which could get the tickets for you.

Another alternative would be to take the ferry to Locarno and then the train from there to Nice. Train times, details and fares in English on the official Swiss railway website:

http://www.sbb.ch/en/home.html

Again, it's a long journey because it involves several changes.

by strether Online Now Jun 27, 2014 at 2:03 PM

Wow- it looked, like such a beautiful and quiet spot- but now I regret not looking into transportation more before settling on a place. I used to live in Germany and am familiar with the excellent deutsche bahn site. Thank you for reminding me!

Two more questions- do you think it is better to depart from luino or stresa? And what about buses- is taking the express bus from stresa, to malpensa, airport helpful?

Lastly I read somewhere that it is cheaper to travel to ventmiglia and then by another ticket -a local to nice. Is that worth the bother?

Thanks!
    Sarah

by strether Online Now Jun 27, 2014 at 2:24 PM

Ok! Already with your help I realized the best way is via, stresa,- only 2 changes. But we have to get to stresa for a 9:49 departure and the incredibly unhelpful navigazione website has not seemed to say that was possible. So now my question is how to get fro. Cannero riviera to stresa that early. Ideas?
    Sarah

by mccalpin Online Now Jun 27, 2014 at 6:03 PM

Luino would have been great...on Saturdays, there is a train that goes direct from Luino to Malpense airport (dep 06:49, arr 08:11)...the next train doesn't arrive at the airport until 10:11, which is probably too late for you.

However, this doesn't matter, since the first ferry from Cannero Riviera to Luino is at 07:35 - way to late to catch the train.

I also looked at the Move Yourself In Lombardy website (an official website run by the Region), and in terms of only public transportation, on Saturdays, there is no earlier solution than this 07:35 ferry to Luino, then the train that arrives at Malpensa at 10:11. See muoversi.regione.lombardia.i...

You have multiple issues...(1) you are at a town not on a rail line, and (2) you are traveling on a Saturday. Sorry, but it looks like you will either have to spend the night elsewhere, or take a taxi/hire car down to someplace like Stresa...

Bill

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Jun 27, 2014 at 11:26 PM

I'm a bit confused but.....

Here's the Verbania/Stresa > Malpensa bus:

safduemila.com/alibus-2014-m...

I'm not sure how that will help? You still have to get from Malpensa to Nice, which involves 3 changes, so you're no better off than taking ferry to Luino and then train from there. Or am I missing something?

You can explore bus timetables here:

http://www.vcotrasporti.it/it/orari.php

It would, for example, seem possible to take the very early bus 3 from Cannero to Intra and then change to bus 1 from Intra to Verbania to catch the Malpensa bus......

As for Cannero>Stresa: again, you'll need to change buses.

Here are the timetables:

Cannero > Verbania Pallanza is line 3 on the site above. Verbania P > Stresa timetable:

vcoinbus.it/cagnoli/SAF/e_in...

It seems....*seems*...that you could catch the 0557 bus from Cannero>Verbania arriving 0620 and then the 0655 bus from Verbania>Stresa arriving 0715. There are later buses but I think they only run on school days. Bill will be able to double-check that; his Italian is much, much better than mine.

But I'm not certain about this option (what happens if the 0557 bus breaks down, or you miss it?) and I'm not sure how it will help because you'll still be changing transport.

You could also take a taxi Cannero>Stresa, of course. It's about 30km, maybe 40 minutes drive. It won't be a cheap option but perhaps it will be worthwhile if you really want to get to Nice mid-afternoon with minimal changes of transport?

I think you need to make a decision: take the ferry to Luino and have more changes to Nice or risk the buses to Stresa (if I've read the timetables correctly) and have only 2 changes to Nice *if* you catch the 0939 departure. A third choice is to accept that you're not going to get to Nice mid-afternoon and take the 1235 or 1539 2-change departures from Stresa, simpler journeys but they won't get you to Nice until mid-evening.

>Lastly I read somewhere that it is cheaper to travel to ventmiglia and then by another ticket -a local to nice. Is that worth the bother?

I wouldn't bother, personally...not after the complex journey to get to Ventimiglia in the first place. I doubt you will save a vast amount of money anyway.

by strether Online Now Jun 28, 2014 at 12:30 AM

Thank you! One thing about the 12:30 train that got to nice at 8 pm was a station change in Milan from Porto Garibaldi to Milano centrale. What does that mean? Do we take a bus or taxi or subway? Otherwise I would take that option.
    Thanks! Sarah

by strether Online Now Jun 28, 2014 at 1:19 AM

I was unclear- we are traveling on July 2nd. You have both been so helpful!, now I think our choices are a taxi to stresa, an early bus via verbania or taking the later train with the mysterious (to me!) Station change in Milan. We are traveling to Nice for a music festival - I am a violinist- and will be picked up there and taken into the mountains. So it isn't so awful arriving late but I rather get there early and get settled before work begins 3/7. Also I am traveling with my 4 year old son. A fine traveler but earlier would be more comfortable.

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Jun 28, 2014 at 3:19 AM

I was trying to reply to the Milan PG>Milan Centrale question for ages and ages!. :-( I've ended up changing browsers. But here's the reply anyway:

You can just take the Metro (not 'subway) from Milano PG to Milano Centrale, walk or take a taxi. There are buses and trams too, but Metro would be easiest with bags imo.

Metro is straightforward, just one stop on line M2 (green).

subway.umka.org/map-milan.ht...

Metro etc info in English here:

http://www.atm.it/en/Pages/default.aspx

Ticket info:

atm.it/en/ViaggiaConNoi/Bigl...

You'll probably need a ticket for your bag as well.

Metro ticket machines are easy to use and have English language options.

It's about 20-25 minutes walk from M Centrale to M Porta Garibaldi...allow a bit longer as you'll have to navigate.

Taxi would probably take 10 mins or less. No idea of cost, sorry...I hardly ever take taxis anywhere.

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Jun 28, 2014 at 3:22 AM

With a 4-year-old, quite frankly, I'd probably get a taxi to Stresa for that 0939 departure...and you won't have the change from Milan PG>Centrale.

by strether Online Now Jun 28, 2014 at 5:44 AM

This is my first experience with vt and you have both been so helpful! I looked at staying in stresa our last night and the hotels and even rooms on airbnb were so much more expensive that a taxi makes sense. I have learned a lot!
    Thanks so much!

Sarah

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Jun 28, 2014 at 5:59 AM

You are more than welcome, Sarah. It's just what we do on VT. You won't find a friendlier or more helpful travel site.

Do feel free to ask anything else which occurs...and please do come back and tell us how things went. That's always hugely pleasing. :-)

by mccalpin Online Now Jun 28, 2014 at 4:52 PM

Ha! Leics, YOU'RE confused??? I think I have been confusing two different threads, one about getting to Malpensa by 11:00 a.m. and the other about getting to Nice...sigh...at least, I think that's what's happening...it will be nice to retire to the VT Home for Aging Contributors, where we can spend our remaining days typing random thoughts and ideas on ancient IBM PCs running DOS...;-)

OK, I think leics has taken care of you, so I am going to bow out - oh, wait, leics wanting me to read something...

OK, the buses on vcotrasporti.it/userdata/ora... (Cannero to Intra) mostly run on Monday through Saturday ("fer" which is short for "feriali", i.e., "workdays" (of which Saturday is one in Italy)). So bus "601 fer" runs Monday through Saturday, as does bus 603 fer and 607 fer. Bus 609 FEST runs only on Sundays and holidays, while 611 fer runs Monday through Saturday. I am guessing that the others are too late, but let me know (note: if the bus doesn't say "fer" or "FEST", then it runs every day).

I don't see any notes about "scolastico" (buses that runs only during the school year), so no worries there. The footnotes are all for buses in the late afternoon about the routes they are taking or Monday through Friday service or whatever, but I think they are all too late for you, so I don't think you care.

Oh, on the vcoinbus.it/cagnoli/SAF/e_in... (Intra to Stresa), the earliest bus (1M) actually runs all the way to Lampugnano, which is a Metro stop in Milano (well, a little outside the center in the suburbs). Once you are at Lampugnano, you can take the M1 towards the Duomo (city center), then switch to the M3 (also has a Duomo stop) to go to Milano Centrale. See www.atm.it .

Anyway, like I said, I am so confused now, I don't know what it is that we're working on, but maybe that will help ;-)

Bill

by strether Online Now Yesterday

Hello Everyone!

I have been meaning to post about our travels. Cannero was, a huge success. We got there easily with the boat from luino and then our host (giuliano from the little pink house on airbnb) drove is to stresa the morning of our departure.

Now, with a couple of days after the festival is over I have planned two days in Varenna. I wanted to see another lake- lago maggiore really blew me away with the scenery. But this time I made sure there 2 as a train station!

Any tips for como are appreciated!

Thanks again for all your help!

Sarah

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Yesterday

I'm so pleased all went well. :-)

Varenna is lovely, and you can easily take the ferry over to Bellagio (it's a very quick trip): Lake Como ferry timetables & info in English:

navigazionelaghi.it/eng/c_il...

A warning about Varenna-Esino station: when I last visited there was no ticket office and the ticket machine was broken. You could get tickets from Bar Beretta for local trains but otherwise you needed to use the travel agency:

"Don't be misled...." - Varenna Warnings Or Dangers Tip by leics

Whether that has changed since my visit I do not know so I suggest you ask at your hotel about getting tickets for train journeys.

Varenna is, as I said, very pretty and has a couple of lovely gardens which I did not manage to visit:

"Very pretty...." - Varenna by leics

Varenna Travel Guide

You might also like to visit Lecco (where George Clooney has his villa, I believe), a quick train ride from Varenna-Esino:

"At the very end of Lake Como" - Lecco by leics

Lecco Travel Guide

And Como itself, of course....a thriving and visitor-focused town but one with a lot of history to explore:

"Mountains and lake and people....and history too.." - Como by leics

Como Travel Guide

You can take the ferry to Bellagio and catch the C30 bus to Como from there:

asfautolinee.it/linee-e-orar...

There are other bus services around the lake as well:

asfautolinee.it/linee-e-orar...

by strether Online Now Yesterday

Hi Leics!

Thank you for all the travel tips. After my first ( and striking) impression of the Italian lakes, I am eager to continue to explore them. Thanks also for the warning about tickets - I will make sure I get them in advance. Usually I would have planned mostly in advance. But for this trip waiting has provided a sort of serendipity- I have found things, gotten ideas and it has been great.

Right now in a place off the beaten path we have enjoyed everything here- incredible scenery , hikes, people and food. I feel very lucky.

The view from my window is dramatic and changing and this is the 'work' portion of my trip!

Best

Sarah

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now 20 hours ago

Sounds to me as if you are having a wonderful time! :-)

I think you may find the Como area to be busier (it was busy enough when I visited in late March!) because it is more well-known and thus more popular year-round...and we are into high season now. But it is a lovely area scenically and there is a good deal of history to explore as well. I'm sure you'll enjoy your two days.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Cannero Riviera