Cannero Riviera Travel Answers

change location

Cannero Riviera to Milan (MXP)

by 4hearthstone Online Now Jul 19, 2009 at 2:54 PM

What is the most direct route from C. Riviera (Lake Maggiore) to catch an 11am flight in Milan (MXP) - on a Saturday? Many thanks!

Quote & Answer
9 Answers
  • leics's Profile Photo

Re: Cannero Riviera to Milan (MXP)

by leics Online Now Jul 19, 2009 at 3:12 PM

By car? Use www.viamichelin.com which will give you route and estimated timings.

The nearest station is, I believe, Verbania-Pallanza (about 20km?). I think you'd need to book a taxi to get there, especially early in the morning (presumably you want to be at Malpensa for around 9am at the latest?).

You can get to Milan Centrale by train at 05:16 but otherwise the early trains from V-P go to Milan Porta Garibaldi station. Journey takes around 1h 20 mins, costs 5.40 euro one-way.

trenitalia.com/homepage_en.h...

will give you times and fares in English.

From Milan Centrale you can get a bus to Malpensa, or a train from Milan Cadorna station. Details of both in English here:

sea-aeroportimilano.it/en/ma...

You can take the Metro from Porta Garibaldi station to either Milan Centrale or Milan Cadorna.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Cannero Riviera to Milan (MXP)

by 4hearthstone Online Now Jul 19, 2009 at 3:19 PM

Thank You Leics.
    We may be trying to make too tight a travel connection! Would a cab to Stresa be exorbitant?? Or any other suggestion?? And then we could (hopefully) take the Alibis directly to MXP. On our arrival - we hv more time and will connect to C. Riviera by ferry from Stresa. Thanks for your tips.

• Manara's Profile Photo

by Manara Online Now Jul 19, 2009 at 4:09 PM

The route is rather complicated. You can catch the bus from Cannero to Intra at 6.32, then a city bus to the station (Intra, Verbania and Pallanza now form one city, but the railway station is far from the centre), then you get a train to Gallarate and from there the shuttle bus to Malpensa. If you leave that early you will be able to get the shuttle at 9 am and be at the airport at 9.30.

An alternative is ask Mr Micotti, a licensed taxi driver resident in Cannero, and ask him for a quote to Malpensa or to another location where you know you can get a direct transfer to Malpensa, his number is (+39)323787134. It is a mobile phone.

• Manara's Profile Photo

by Manara Online Now Jul 19, 2009 at 4:46 PM

I have checked the timetable of Alibus. If you want to use it it is not necessary to go all the way to Stresa, in fact the same bus that stops in Stresa leaves from Intra, which is closer to Cannero. However the only bus that fits your timetable is the one leaving from Intra at 6 am, which arrives in Malpensa at 7.20. The next one is at 9 am, and it arrives at the airport too late for your flight. You can check the timetable in this website: safduemila.com/files/alibus_...

You can consider taking a cab (Signor Micotti, as I suggested before) from Cannero to Intra on time for the Alibus.

As the author of the only page about Cannero Riviera in Virtual Tourist I feel involved in your search.

• Re: Cannero Riviera to Milan (MXP)

by 4hearthstone Online Now Jul 19, 2009 at 6:09 PM

Dear Manaro,
    You are indeed involved in our journey! Thank You!
    This sounds like a perfect solution!! We will connect with Signor Micotti (thank you for his contact info) upon our arrival in Cannero Riviera (we are there for 4 nights and perhaps will use his services otherwise). The last day of vacation is usually filled with travel connections - and very early mornings!! Your advice and prompt reply are much appreciated. We are staying at 'Hotel Cannero' on the recommendation of 2 sets of Canadian friends - and couldn't consider our trip to Italy complete without this stop on Lake Maggiore - albeit inconvenient!! Gracie. Jane from Toronto.

• Manara's Profile Photo

by Manara Online Now Jul 20, 2009 at 3:25 AM

I have just realized I made a mistake about Signor Micotti's number.
    His mobile phone is (+39)3489046323, his home phone number is (+39)0323787134.

• mccalpin's Profile Photo

by mccalpin Online Now Jul 20, 2009 at 8:56 AM

This suggestion may not be any easier than the others, but you could also look into taking the ferry across the lake to Luino (I think there is one, but I don't know when it runs) in time to catch the 07:23 train to Gallarate (arrive at 08:04), which leaves you plenty of time to take the bus over to Malpensa to check in by 9 a.m. or so. Perhaps Anna Maria knows when the ferries run...

One downside: if you miss that train, the next one doesn't leave until 08:52 and arrive at Gallarate at 09:47 - rather late for your purposes.

Bill

• Manara's Profile Photo

by Manara Online Now Jul 20, 2009 at 3:15 PM

That would be a very good idea Bill, since the crossing from Cannero to Luino normally takes 10 to 15 minutes, and moreover the Hotel Cannero is close to the landing. Unfortunately the first boat in the morning, which leaves Cannero at 7.00, goes first to Cannobio and only afterwards to Luino, so it arrives there at 7.45.
    The timetable for boats and ferries is here: navigazionelaghi.it/ita/mag/...

• mccalpin's Profile Photo

by mccalpin Online Now Jul 20, 2009 at 8:39 PM

Thanks for checking on the ferry(!)

Bill

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Cannero Riviera