Canmore Travel Answers

change location
MichaelFalk1969's Profile Photo

B & B accomodation in Canmore

by MichaelFalk1969 Online Now Apr 20, 2008 at 1:44 PM

Hi there
I have a bit of a dilemma here: I`m going to Banff National Park in September 2008. Everybody says that Canmore is preferrable to Banff acomodation-wise, as it is not as overrun with tourists as Banff is. When I did some research on VT and Tripadvisor on local B&B`s though, most reviews were very, very negative. I get the impression that all accomodation in Canmore is either a dump or overpriced.

Can anybody recommend a really friendly B&B in Canmore (or Banff or somewhere close to Banff NP) with honeymoon-style rooms, ca. 120-150 CDN per room/night ?

Thanks, Michael

Quote & Answer
10 Answers
  • madamx's Profile Photo

Re: B & B accomodation in Canmore

by madamx Online Now Apr 20, 2008 at 3:09 PM

I'm scanning Tripadvisor right now and seeing: "utterly fantastic" "cozy and delightful" "perfect" "absolutely wonderful" "loved everything" "very nice". These comments are from the top 10 and up b and b's. To me that does not say "dump".

Alberta is on an economic whirlwind due to oil and gas -- everything is expensive here and the cost of living is so much so people are moving out of the province. It has a trickle-down effect on everything, even hotel accomodations.

Also, if you want honeymoon style accomodations -- I don't know what your definition of that is, but for me it's luxurious accomodations, whirlpool tub, etc., it looks like you're going to be paying in the range of250.00 in Canmore. Much better than the350- and up range in Banff National Park.

Have you tried Paintbox Lodge or Bear and Bison Inn?

http://www.bearandbisoninn.com/
    http://www.paintboxlodge.com/ (I have personally stayed here and it is the upmost of rustic chic, very personable owners and HUGE suites)

You could try the The Juniper, which may be more in your price range -- newly renovated and minimalistic modern rooms just outside of Banff. Don't let the exterior put you off, it's a renovated hotel from the late 60's and they haven't done the outside yet. Fantastic views of Banff Townsite and the mountains

http://thejuniper.com/

I would suggest you could try as far as Golden, there are some quaint cabins just by the Blaeberry River and great German hosts.

hillsidechalets.com/index.ht...

You might also try to stay in Calgary and do day trips. Most of us in Calgary do this every weekend.

Good luck in your search!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • MichaelFalk1969's Profile Photo

by MichaelFalk1969 Online Now Apr 21, 2008 at 12:21 AM

Hi,

no offense meant, we only had good experiences with Canadian B&B`s so far. But yes, we found quite a lot negative reviews which surprised me, so I wanted to get some first-hand recommendations by people who`ve been there.

Luckily, I just found two B&B`s today (Ambleside Lodge & Hidden Falls) which both just seem perfect and both got good testimonials. I´m just waiting for a confirmation.

Thank you anyway !

• madamx's Profile Photo

by madamx Online Now Apr 21, 2008 at 6:21 AM

Those two look great. No offense taken, just puzzled as I myself was looking for a b and b there this summer. Granted, some of the decor isn't "honeymoon"-like, but the honeymoon doesn't always depend on the decor ;o)

I'm staying at Ambleside myself in June, so I can give you a heads up on what to expect. I talked to the owner last month and she was extremely nice and helpful.

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding!

by MichaelFalk1969 Online Now Apr 21, 2008 at 6:36 AM

Hi
    unfortunately, Ambleside is fully booked, but I`m setting my hopes on Hidden Falls now. I not the Bear & Bison might be a good alternative.

Doing my research I found a marvelous B&B in Revelstoke (Griffin Lake Lodge) - that looked fantastic, but it would be difficult to include in our itinerary, and it is too far away to be a base for Banff, so maybe next time.

Best regards - Michael

• Re: B & B accomodation in Canmore

by MikePinTucson Online Now Apr 21, 2008 at 8:35 AM

We stayed at Hidden Falls in 2001. It is owned by a Royal Canadian Mounted Policeman and his wife (actually, she takes care of most of it). It was delightful, and he even posed for pictures with us in his Dress uniform (The reed coat, boots, and hat).

• madamx's Profile Photo

by madamx Online Now Apr 21, 2008 at 8:42 AM

We have stayed at Griffin Lake Lodge, plus friends of ours, and as well I know a VT'er was married there. Wonderful hosts, and unique place, thought I found it a bit busy with all the "collectables". Would stay again in a heartbeat. Even saw salmon in the lake. They gave us fresh-baked cookies for the road back home the next morning.

by MichaelFalk1969 Online Now Apr 21, 2008 at 10:34 AM

Well, well - I`ve found another promising one (Eagle`s Nest) - the rooms look great, just hope that either this B&B or Hidden Falls will have space available.

• madamx's Profile Photo

by madamx Online Now Apr 21, 2008 at 1:04 PM

This is not right in Canmore, but it's right up in the mountains with fabulous hiking nearby; it's situated on the border of Kananaskis Country and Banff National Park

http://www.mountengadine.com/

The price is all inclusive, ie, includes all meals. We stayed there when there was different management, but I'm sure it's still nice. I remember a bull moose walked by our window one evening.

by MichaelFalk1969 Online Now Apr 22, 2008 at 3:21 AM

Moose, this is what I hope for. Last time we mostly saw chipmunks. I seriously considered to sue the Government of Canada on the basis that moose are an invention of their tourist office to attract unsuspecting tourists - like Scotland does with the Loch Ness Monster.

• madamx's Profile Photo

by madamx Online Now Apr 22, 2008 at 7:26 AM

Here's a tip -- moose like marshes, slews and ponds, and hang out around dusk or dawn.

Stay far away as they can be dangerous. A bull moose we saw once was literally the size of a large delivery truck; I could have driven my toyota corolla under the belly of some female moose as their legs are that long.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines