Cancún Travel Answers

change location

car rental

by dgirlfriday Online Now Apr 5, 2012 at 12:17 PM

i need some advice on renting a car in cancun. my friend and i will be staying at mayan palace in PDC. i know the resort is huge and we want to be able to get around ourselves to the ruins or the grocery store or wherever. seems like renting a car would be cheaper than getting a taxi everywhere since we'll be there a week. but i'm worried about 2 english speaking females renting a car and getting ripped off. does anyone have any suggestions as to what the best company is to go through? any tips on the process? can i book online through kayak or maybe even priceline? anyone have experience with this?

thanks.

Quote & Answer
13 Answers
  • xymmot's Profile Photo

Re: car rental

by xymmot Online Now Apr 6, 2012 at 1:27 AM

Usually the nice hotels has car rentals service in the lobby. since there are two people, the best is to use a name brand company like Hertz or Avis and pick up your rental from the airport so that you can drive to the hotel and return at the airport. saves a lot of transportation fees from the airport. Cancun is easy to navigate and the road signs are in readable English. rental places will give you a map and directions to your hotel. On average will be 60usd a day....best book here to get a good rate there. Have fun,

cheers tommy x

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: car rental

by dgirlfriday Online Now Apr 6, 2012 at 10:48 AM

So i found on carrentals.com through Blueway an economy car for67 for the entire week. is this a scam? You said it would be about60/day.

• gabesz's Profile Photo

by gabesz Online Now Apr 6, 2012 at 10:59 AM

No matter what price you find for th car rentals the mandatory insurance will nearly double it. I suggests you stick with the major car rental firms to avoid scam issues.

Also keep the speed limits in mind since the police has a tendency to pull people over with the rental plates. Read up on how to deal with this bribery seeking police officials.

by dgirlfriday Online Now Apr 6, 2012 at 1:19 PM

wow. i checked with alamo. the car rental is88 but insurance and taxes bump it to374. now i'm second-guessing the decision to rent a car. we're staying at mayan palace which isn't all the way into PDC. i'm worred that taxi fare will far outweigh the car rental costs even at400. does anyone know what a taxi would be from airport to resort and from resort to PDC? there's just 2 of us.

• gabesz's Profile Photo

by gabesz Online Now Apr 6, 2012 at 3:32 PM

Your taxi fare to the resort is high since taxi prices from the airport are highly inflated and regulated. You can take a shared shuttle for around 20-25 dollars per person and that is more than half of the taxi fare. The cost of the taxi from the hotel to PDC is about the same as the shuttle price except its for 2 people vs. per person. On the way back to the hotel you can bargain in. PDC with the driver to take you back and maybe even get a cheaper rate. You can probably even hire a driver for the entire day for under100 and go all over the place.

by dgirlfriday Online Now Apr 6, 2012 at 5:19 PM

that seems like a lot still. if we left the resort every day, that's50 RT. That would make up the car rental right there and thats just into PDC and back. If we want to go to Tulum or Coba or anywhere else exploring then it would cost more. even if we wanted to do a tour, i see that most of them transport from PDC or Cancun, and not really in between so we'd have to get there somehow. do you know if all the insurance is mandatory or just the CDW?

• Laura_Mexico's Profile Photo

by Laura_Mexico Online Now Apr 10, 2012 at 6:03 PM

I haven't rented a car in Cancun but I did in Vallarta and went through NATIONAL; they have decent rates and the insurance wasn't mandatory, but I don't know if that has anything to do with the fact that I am mexican. In any case, yes it is expensive to rent a car over there but so it is to ride taxis, and it's true that you will need one EVERY time you want to leave your resort, which isn't very conveniently located (as in close to town or a bus station/stop). So I would explore other major companies (the 67 USD for the whole week definitely sounds like a scam, or a fare with a bunch of hidden fees) to see which one is cheaper and go with those, preferrably booking the car rental in advance and not after your arrival (you also risk not finding any cars available at a particular company if you do it after you get here).

• toontown's Profile Photo

by toontown Online Now Apr 19, 2012 at 8:18 PM

We used American when we rented a car in Cancun and paid45/day including full insurance for a compact standard - you would pay a little more for an automatic. We had no problems at all and were happy to be able to drive ourselves for a reasonable price. See my tip on this on my Isla Mujeres page: "car rentals" - Isla Mujeres Transportation Tip by toontown

• xymmot's Profile Photo

by xymmot Online Now Apr 19, 2012 at 10:45 PM

that is a great price

• xymmot's Profile Photo

by xymmot Online Now Apr 19, 2012 at 10:45 PM

that is a great price

• gabesz's Profile Photo

by gabesz Online Now Apr 20, 2012 at 1:14 PM

We can get National most times for around US25 with insurance per day for stick and another5 or so for automatic.

• ciaobella55's Profile Photo

by ciaobella55 Online Now Apr 25, 2012 at 9:32 PM

I would skip the car rental and use the colectivos that run the trip between Cancun and PDC. They are a small white minibus which run every few minutes, in your case you would exit the resort and cross the street and just flag down any small white bus. (Normally they will flash their lights if they see you to let you know they have seats). The cost from Cancun to PDC is 30 pesos so it would be about 15 from Mayan Palace. It will take you right into Playa, from where you can catch another colectivo to go south to Tulum.
    It's certainly a better budget option - I'm sure you have much better things to spend your$$ on!

• xymmot's Profile Photo

by xymmot Online Now Apr 27, 2012 at 1:12 AM

there are long distances in Mexico and even though a bus is cheap, having a car to carry your luguage and go door to door to some of the outside beaches is a plus, plus. If the return of rental is at airport, that is a big savings itself / Cars give you freedom to roam, but if you just stay at the resort, having a car is nonsense

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines