Cancún Travel Answers

change location
Dabs's Profile Photo

Way to get from the US to Cancun without flying?

by Dabs Online Now Jan 18, 2012 at 11:39 AM

I'm asking this for a friend who simply refuses to get on an airplane, is there any way to get to Cancun without flying from the US? His brother decided to have a destination wedding there, not sure if the date is fixed yet but I think it's in August.

I know that there are plenty of cruises that go out of Florida and probably also Texas but I don't think there are any that stay overnight and August is a really slow month for cruises, only 7 days with cruise ships. And that's to Cozumel, not Cancun.

Are there any ferries? I can't find any references to any that go in 2012.

I'm guessing driving would be pretty lengthy, 57 hours per Mapquest from Chicago!!!! Not to mention a little unsafe in parts, perhaps?

So I'm out of ideas except for really heavy tranquilizers....

Quote & Answer
14 Answers
  • YVRDave's Profile Photo

Re: Way to get from the US to Cancun without flying?

by YVRDave Online Now Jan 18, 2012 at 12:59 PM

The wedding party could schedule a day wedding to work around the ships port time. I think the bride would, and should, whack him when he arrived but, that is another topic.
    Maybe a round or 10 of therapy would be cheaper than ticking off the bride

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • grandmaR's Profile Photo

by grandmaR Online Now Jan 18, 2012 at 1:02 PM

There are ferries from Cozumel to Cancun. But you would have a problem with a cruise ship from the US if it was also going back to a US port because there's a law against getting off mid cruise. The only other ships I see going to Cozumel are just going other places in Mexico or to Jamaica

I think there are buses you could take from Belize, but you still would have to get to Belize.

• cachaseiro's Profile Photo

by cachaseiro Online Now Jan 18, 2012 at 1:32 PM

What about driving and then breaking the journey a couple of times along the way?
    That would require that he has a few days for the trip of course.

by grandmaR Online Now Jan 18, 2012 at 1:45 PM

Not sure what you mean by 'only 7 days with cruise ships'

There are many cruises of 4 day (15 cruises), 5 day (9 cruises) and 7 day (over 20 cruises) in August that stop at Cozumel from Miami, New Orleans, Tampa, Fort Lauderdale, Galveston, and Port Canaveral.

The problem is that you can't legally take the cruise and get off in Cozumel and take the ferry to Cancun if you don't get back to the ship to finish the cruise.

• Dabs's Profile Photo

by Dabs Online Now Jan 18, 2012 at 1:55 PM

"The wedding party could schedule a day wedding to work around the ships port time. I think the bride would, and should, whack him when he arrived but, that is another topic.
    Maybe a round or 10 of therapy would be cheaper than ticking off the bride"

I think it would be almost impossible to work around his phobia, getting from Cozumel to Cancun takes a bit of time and you'd have to head back around two to catch the ship. The real problem being that there are only 7 days that ships sail there in August (being low season AND hurricane season) and heaven forbid if for some reason they can't dock. And you'd have to be pretty bold to suggest to a bride that she hold the wedding midweek when the cruise ships dock, I assume most people do destination weddings on the weekend?

I think I'll tell his wife to drug him and plop him in a wheelchair to get him on the plane (do you have to be conscious to go through security?).

He did drive out to San Diego last year for another wedding in Vegas, but that's only a "mere" 31 hours. 57 hours x 2 in a car? All because he's scared of flying?

• cgf's Profile Photo

by cgf Online Now Jan 18, 2012 at 1:55 PM

I'm afraid driving would be probably better than boat.
    Like it's already noted a cruise is not possible, a charter? it will cost a bomb and it takes more than 57h! The route is not straight, on August the winds won't help a lot and there is a great circle to be done to have advantage of them, beside there is stay far away from from unless you want to risk to stay "on island" for a while like american spy. Least but not last, it's also hurricane season...

• cgf's Profile Photo

by cgf Online Now Jan 18, 2012 at 1:57 PM

...beside there is stay far away from Cuba unless you want to risk to stay "on island"....

• Dabs's Profile Photo

by Dabs Online Now Jan 18, 2012 at 1:57 PM

'only 7 days with cruise ships'

by that I mean that there are only 7 days in August where there are any cruise ships in port, a few of those are Disney ships to boot! As opposed to January when they arrive in a herd every day but Sunday. August is not the prime month to visit Cancun, I imagine it's hot as Hades and then there are those pesky hurricanes.

• Dabs's Profile Photo

by Dabs Online Now Jan 18, 2012 at 2:07 PM

Hmm, maybe the schedules aren't posted yet for the August 2012 sailings, last year there were ships docking every day but Sunday in Cozumel, this year I only see 7 ships listed. In any event, I don't think it will work, I thought maybe there was some kind of ferry that would take you and drop you or a cruiseline that overnighted for a couple of nights in Mexico but I can't find either one. The distances just aren't short enough, I imagine, to make that a worthwhile service.

I'm not going to recommend this to him but what if you were on a cruise ship that docked in both Costa Maya and Cozumel? Get off in Costa Maya, get yourself to Cancun on your own, rejoin the boat in Cozumel? You'd then have 3 days in Mexico.

by grandmaR Online Now Jan 18, 2012 at 2:55 PM

Go to vacationstogo to see the cruises that go to Cozumel in August 2012. Lots of them. Carnival Dream does Cozumel (Aug 6), Belize, Roatan and then Costa Maya (Aug 9), and it might be possible to miss the boat in Cozumel and then get to Costa Maya to get back on but I don't know what you would do about having wedding clothes. It would be tricky

• Odinnthor's Profile Photo

by Odinnthor Online Now Jan 18, 2012 at 2:55 PM

Yes Dabs, that last one would work, unless the rules have changed.

I have personally driven twice from Los Angeles to Belize. Once you cross the border, it is a pretty straight forward drive, - with a couple of days in Vera Cruz, would be nice. There is however a slight chance of road bandidos on the way. Most are just trying to feed their families, and are not real hardcore. We had household goods on the truck, and traded an air conditioner for safe passage, and then shared a bottle of tequila with the "boyz".

On my second driving trip, we skated on our good will from the first trip.....d:o)

• Dabs's Profile Photo

by Dabs Online Now Jan 18, 2012 at 3:28 PM

Erik,

I'm guessing then that you would tell the ship staff what you are up to? I've heard those last minute calls for people to check in so that they know that everyone is on board. Not that if you were really late that they wouldn't leave you!

Maybe I'll have him call one of the cruiselines and find out if it's possible to do that. Seems like a lot of time and expense though.

GrandmaR, thanks for the link to vacationstogo, I'll forward it to my friend so he has an idea of whether it will coordinate with his dates.

• Odinnthor's Profile Photo

by Odinnthor Online Now Jan 18, 2012 at 4:12 PM

Yes Kristi, I would definately keep the cruiseline in the loop. I have been known to "miss" the boat, in the past, but seeing as I was part of the "Staff" I got away with it. However, hhere were several times when passengers wanted to do similar things and it was OK, as far as I knew.

Like I said, unless the rules have changed, - and that is entirely possible, - it should be doable as described.

• Travmad's Profile Photo

by Travmad Online Now Jan 18, 2012 at 4:43 PM

Hi Kristi, What about buses? I took the overnight from Oaxaca to San Cristobal a couple of weeks ago. It was comfortable, sleep was easy and it had good bathrooms. It may be possible to do that in two legs from Matamoros. I have driven from Pa. to Oaxaca and the drive along the golf is really easy.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines