Canberra Travel Answers

change location
missy.pulliam's Profile Photo

Mysterious Lake George

by missy.pulliam Online Now Apr 22, 2009 at 5:19 AM

One of the reviewers (schmoopy) described Mysterious Lake George as lying about 20 miles from Canberra and a beautiful place to visit. It would be interesting to know what activities are available and info on camping facilities available, if any?

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • craic's Profile Photo

Re: Mysterious Lake George

by craic Online Now Apr 22, 2009 at 5:33 AM

we used to drive past lake george all the time - in recent years it has always been dry and i have read that because of a new drainage system that is likely to continue

i have only seen it full once - maybe 20 years ago

personally i find it rather unpretty - though mysterious of course - just a flat plain with a few sheep grazing on it - the odd down market shop as you drive by it

there may be camping facilities near by - and activities - but as I say we used to live close by and it has never seemed to be a hub of tourist activity

i have noticed the odd winery offering cellar door tastings

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Kakapo2's Profile Photo

by Kakapo2 Online Now Apr 22, 2009 at 1:01 PM

can't give you info about campgrounds - but have you seen this interesting text on Wikipedia:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_G...

They write about a windfarm being erected there, and about hanggliding. There also some links to follow up.

• wallywombat's Profile Photo

by wallywombat Online Now Apr 23, 2009 at 5:44 AM

In my opinion Lake George is a boring dry lake with fences and sheep the only things visible as you drive past it to go to Canberra
    Why anyone would want to camp there is beyond me - its farmland .
    My son was in a wedding at a Winery across the road and they drove out onto the lake for photos .
    Australia has a lot better places to camp than there but it is interesting that in the past and I am sure sometime in the future the distant future since we are in drought it will fill up .No one knows when thats what makes it special .It does have a lookout which gives a great view across the waterless lake might be worth a look .
    When full it is 7 metres deep and covers 900 square kilometres being 25 km long and 10km wide I think it last had pools of water in about 2001.
    I suggest you Google Lake George Canberra and see the reports for yourself

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines