Canakkale Travel Answers

change location

One day Trip from Istanbul to Canakkale and Troy

by leocorpuz Online Now Jul 29, 2012 at 3:27 AM

Hi. We are a pilgrimage group planning to make this trip in October. We will be on a tourist bus. We plan to leave Istanbul at 7:00 A.M. and depart for Canakkale with a brief stop in Gallipoli. We plan to have lunch in Canakkale. Our goal is to explore ancient city of Troy, especially the places connected with the visits of Saint Paul. There we plan to celebrate Holy Mass. Then we go back to Canakkale for the overnight stay. May we ask for your critique of this trip? Or suggestions with the amount of time we have. Thank you so much!

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • hawkhead's Profile Photo

Re: One day Trip from Istanbul to Canakkale and Troy

by hawkhead Online Now Jul 29, 2012 at 4:42 AM

That's a VERY long day! A brief stop in Gallipoli - hmmm, I would suggest that this, a brief stop, is not possible or desirable. It is a large site, it is very spread out and it is a very emotional visit. My visit still haunts me, even after at least 10 years. It is a site that merits more than a quick visit to the closest spot....... You must visit both the Allied and the Turkish spots. And then you will have to take the ferry across to Canakkale and then it is a fair way on to Troy. Troy deserves more than a couple of hours and you will be really pushing it. Can you not devote a reasonable length of time to Gallipoli, arriving Canakkale around 16.00, spend the night and then devote at least half a day to Troy, returning to Istanbul the next day. I would also urge you to visit Nicaea, the location of the origin of the Nicaean Creed and perhaps you could fit this in on your way back to istanbul.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • June.b's Profile Photo

Re: One day Trip from Istanbul to Canakkale and Troy

by June.b Online Now Aug 3, 2012 at 10:31 AM

You said you'll be on a tourist bus, so those stops and amount of time are normally under the package, so it's a bit unfair to critique it. Gallipoli is a good stop esp. for Australians & NZs as the place is dedicated to ANZAC.

Troy on the other hand - in my opinion, I think I've said this several times - is interesting Only using your imagination while listening to the guides. But the place itself minus those, is just a pile of rocks and earth diggings. The wooden horse at the entrance is only a mock-up of the orig., the one standing over the promenade in Canakkale is more interesting (used in Brad's movie Troy). I don't want to be a spoiler cuz it might be interesting for you, but Troy was a letdown for me. The ancient city of Pergamum is a lot better and if I'm not mistaken is a part of the St. paul trail package, if that's what you have. Here're my pages on those:

Canakkale --- "Çanakkale" - Canakkale Ili by June.b

Pergamum ---- "Bergama it is!" - Bergama by June.b

Enjoy your trip.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines