Canakkale Travel Answers

change location
collegeprof's Profile Photo

Beaches in March?

by collegeprof Online Now Apr 23, 2010 at 7:39 AM

Hello, I am leading an educational tour of Greece and Turkey during mid-March. After our visit to Troy, we have an afternoon at the beach scheduled. Will it be warm enough for the beach in March? Would there be other things of interest if the weather did not permit this activity? Thanks, Marilyn

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • leics's Profile Photo

Re: Beaches in March?

by leics Online Now Apr 23, 2010 at 9:13 AM

You can get a rough idea from the climate tables for Canakkale here:

climate-charts.com/Locations...

and here

world66.com/asia/middleeast/...

You might be lucky, but I personally do not think it will be sunbathing weather...beach games might be ok.

Can't help with what else to see, but whilst you're waiting for more replies why not look at the Vt Canakkale pages?

Canakkale Travel Guide

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • nada1712's Profile Photo

by nada1712 Online Now Apr 23, 2010 at 9:15 AM

Cannakale is in the Mediterranean Basin and March can be cold. There could be some winds and temps where you will need a jacket. But it could also be a very nice and warm day. I doubt if you want to swim.

• Sirvictor's Profile Photo

by Sirvictor Online Now Apr 24, 2010 at 2:55 AM

Dear Prof. Marilyn, As youare coming from Boston you must be used to very cold wheather, snow storms and icydays. But. Troy and Dardanelles is different. The cold Russian winds and currents coming from North is differnt. Dardanelles is an open place. Its is hard to stand when it breezes. March is the coldest month all over in Turkey. Sometimes it snows, sometimes it rains, sometimes sunny and open but bone burning winds. Swimming in March at a Dardanelles beach is impossible. I personly dont like to swim in sommer also there. Because the sea is always cold like North Sea. But bring your swimming suit. You can swim at Pamukkale in the hot water pools if Pamukkale is at your travel plan.
    Please give us more destinations in Turkey that you are planning to visit, so that we can give you more information.
    Have a nice time in Turkey. Come happily and return smiling.
    I am sure you will like Turkey more then Greece.

• mikelisaanna's Profile Photo

by mikelisaanna Online Now Apr 24, 2010 at 9:57 PM

I agree with the previous posts. Swmming in Turkey in March is a non-starter. Spend your time sightseeing. After your visit to Troy, spend the rest of the day touring the nearby battlefields of Gallipoli.

Also, don't set your hopes too high regarding Troy. There is not a ton of stuff left to see. The history of the site is fascinating, but there is not much left of it besides some walls and a very small ampitheater. We found the ruins at Bergama (Pergamum), Ephesus, Priene, and Aphrodisias to be much more interesting.

Feel free to visit our various pages about places in Turkey here on Virtual Tourist.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines