Canada Travel Answers

change location
charlesracine's Profile Photo

In Canada, what is the northern most point/city that can be reached by train?

by charlesracine Online Now Feb 8, 2013 at 7:44 AM

As a train and Canada fan what is the northern most point/city in Canada that one can reach by train, in summer? How are the accommodations?
Thank you for your help,
Chuck

Quote & Answer
11 Answers
  • YVRDave's Profile Photo

Re: In Canada, what is the northern most point/city that can be reached by train?

by YVRDave Online Now Feb 8, 2013 at 8:13 AM

Probably Edmonton. It is a large city with a lot of hotels

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • bocmaxima's Profile Photo

Re: In Canada, what is the northern most point/city that can be reached by train?

by bocmaxima Online Now Feb 8, 2013 at 8:27 AM

I believe it's Churchill, Manitoba, on Hudson Bay. There's a line running there from Winnipeg. There's also the line from Jasper to Prince Rupert, which I think is a little further south than Churchill.
    Both towns feature a reasonable tourist trade, so there are accommodations available. I don't think you're going to find a 4-star resort up there, but they should be clean and comfortable.

It would be advantageous for you to review the ViaRail web site, as they have information on lines and the places that the lines reach.
    http://www.viarail.ca/en/trains

• hawkhead's Profile Photo

by hawkhead Online Now Feb 8, 2013 at 8:34 AM

I would agree that it is Churchill.

• pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo

by pieter_jan_v Online Now Feb 8, 2013 at 9:48 AM

How about Hay river?

It's on the CN network map:

http://www.cn.ca/en/cn-network-map.htm

PJ

• YVRDave's Profile Photo

by YVRDave Online Now Feb 8, 2013 at 12:03 PM

Doh!

• glabah's Profile Photo

by glabah Online Now Feb 8, 2013 at 12:32 PM

Once every 10 years or so, they run a passenger special up to Fort Nelson, BC. No regular sevice though, except freight.

There is a tourist tram in White Horse, Yukon Territory but it's only one km long. It is, however, the most northerly passenger train in Canada.

White Pass and Yukon occasionally operates tourist trains across the border into a small community on the BC border, but you have to start in Skagway, Alaska.

1 member found this helpful

• GrumpyL5's Profile Photo

by GrumpyL5 Online Now Feb 8, 2013 at 12:52 PM

Churchill followed by Prince Rupert to the west. Alternatively across the border the Alaskan Railroad goes north to Fairbanks.

• GrumpyDiver's Profile Photo

by GrumpyDiver Online Now Feb 8, 2013 at 2:57 PM

I believe the people that suggested the Churchill MB on Hudson's Bay to Winnipeg MB are correct and ViaRail still does this run. Churchill was the location of a Hudson's Bay Company trading post. The train does not go daily and I think one spends about 40 hours on the train each way. Churchill is becoming rather touristy and is a centre for (very expensive) trips to see the polar bears. Whale-watching and birders also head up to the area, so I suspect that there are enough tourist facilities.

Almost as far north is Prince Rupert BC train that heads down to, through Prince George BC to Jasper AB, where one can connect to trains to Edmonton AB or Vancouver BC. This can be turned into a bit of an interesting trip if you combine the ferries, bus / flights and take the BC Ferry, Northern Adventure for the 18 hour trip from Port Hardy on Vancouver Island to Price Rupert. You can fly in to Port Hardy from Vancouver or work your way across and north by bus. Certainly lots of accommodation on that routing. It's a good connection point to visit Haida Gwaii. I've done bits and pieces of that trip, but not the rail part.

Check the ViaRail website for details. http://www.viarail.ca/en

There is also another railway that gets roughly as far north as Prince Rupert, running from Sept Isles, Quebec, through Labrador to Schefferville QC. This railway is owned and operated by three Indian bands, so it is likely to be the ride with most "character". The website is: http://www.tshiuetin.net/index_an.html This is on my to-do list just because of the location.

The Ontario Northland Railway Polar Bear Express runs from Cochrane ON to Moosonee ON on James Bay. Much like Churchill, this was the site of a Hudson's Bay Company trading post. This is the most southerly "northern" railway routes (and not really all that far north, but in a very isolated area). I've looked at doing this one as well, but haven't gotten around to it yet. I seem to remember you head north on one day and have to spend the night in Moosonee and can head back the next day. I believe this is a summer route with a larger tourist base

ontarionorthland.ca/index.ph...

• mikelisaanna's Profile Photo

by mikelisaanna Online Now Feb 8, 2013 at 8:26 PM

There is a tourist railway named the White Pass and Yukon Railroad that runs between Skagway, Alaska (USA) and Carcross, Yukon (Canada). Skagway has some lodging and some interesting historic sites. Carcross is a small town of about 400 people.

• charlesracine's Profile Photo

by charlesracine Online Now Feb 14, 2013 at 10:18 AM

Thanks all for your additional input. We need to decide which when to do it.

• charlesracine's Profile Photo

by charlesracine Online Now Feb 14, 2013 at 10:35 AM

Thanks to all respondents

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Canada Travel Answer Locations