Ca'n Picafort Travel Answers

change location

Young couple

by xrachx5631 Online Now Feb 25, 2013 at 8:25 AM

Hey I've just booked to come to can picafort 1st 2 weeks of September. Me and my boyfriend we are a young couple of 22/23 and are wondering what it's like? And would someone recommend excursions for us to do while we are here . And also recommend how much spending money we will need for 2 weeks on a self catering basis . Thanks :)

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • KakapoTheParrot's Profile Photo

Re: Young couple

by KakapoTheParrot Online Now Feb 26, 2013 at 5:42 AM

As no one else has answered I'll try to recall what I can from a warm afternoon I spent on the beach building a sea-monster for my daughter (I think it was for her, possibly I just wanted to build a sea monster in the sand).

The resort seemed to exist because there's a beach there. There is a promenade lined with cafes, restaurants and bars and not a lot else. The ports at Alcudia and Port de Pollenca have more to wander around on an evening. The harbour at Alcudia is particularly pleasant.

There are buses running up and down the coast all day, although I've always had a car. For your age group car hire might be very expensive, but the bus services have always seemed frequent.

If you can get down to Porto Cristo, the caves there are excellent. You should be able to get a bus to Manacor easily enough. It's a place with a reasonable amount of history, but it's also a "real" place rather than one just there for tourists. I've not been to the street market but it's said to be very good. The Sunday morning market in Pollenca, if you can get there before noon, is one of my favorite places to visit so if it's anything like as good, it should be well worth a look.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • annemariebyrne's Profile Photo

Re: Young couple

by annemariebyrne Online Now Mar 1, 2013 at 3:57 PM

C’an Picafort is a fairly small resort, as mentioned above there’s a strip of bars and restaurants along the seafront and really not much else. There is a bus service running frequently all day all the way up to Puerto Pollensa via Alcudia (it stops running fairly early, maybe about 8pm). The Marina area of Puerto Alcudia is a lively spot to wander around in the evening and it’s right beside the start of a very long sandy beach for daytime visits.
    Recommending things to do depends on what you are into – water sports, history, hiking, nature, shopping/markets, tours??? You’ll find opportunities for all of these all along the coast between C’an Picafort and Puerto Pollensa. The old town of Alcudia (separate from the port) is worth a visit, especially on Sunday or Tuesday morning when the market is on, you can also walk around the old walls, visit the museum or the nearby Roman ruins. There are various boat trips, including one to Formentor (my favourite beach) from Puerto Alcudia and Puerto Pollensa. The Albufeira Nature reserve is not too far from C’an Picafort, the bus stops outside and you then walk up a long avenue to the information centre where you can get a map and guide to wildlife. You might consider hiring bikes for a day and go exploring to some of these places. There are plenty of organised tours such as the ‘island tour’ which will take you to Palma and then on the train up to Soller and then by tram to Puerto Soller. You might also consider getting the bus and spending a day in the city of Palma.
    Calculating your budget is very difficult, especially when we don't know where you are from or what you are used to spending on meals out etc. If you are from western/northern Europe for example, prices may be a little cheaper than what you are used to.
    Although there may not be a lot to do in C’an Picafort there are tons of things to do in the surrounding area so you could alternate relaxing days in the resort with days out visiting other places. It will be generally cheaper to stock up on basics in a local supermarket for breakfast and snacks and just eat out in the evenings.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines