Camogli Travel Answers

change location
bettyo70's Profile Photo

HELP! What to do with a car in CAMOGLI (7 nights)?

by bettyo70 Online Now May 4, 2009 at 8:18 AM

Hi Everyone,

We are happy to be using CAMOGLI as a home base for 7 nights in Liguria this September.

But we're confused as to where to keep a car!

We don't plan to use the car everyday... but we might need to do a daytrip here and there. So we can't ditch the car completely.

Any advice? (I don't think the place we're staying at has parking.)

Quote & Answer
10 Answers
  • craic's Profile Photo

Re: HELP! What to do with a car in CAMOGLI (7 nights)?

by craic Online Now May 4, 2009 at 8:37 AM

camogli is a lovely place.

but why do you need a car?

it is on the train line - and the ferries leave from there - and i am sure there are plenty buses that go places

a car in caqmogli is a bot of a condundrum

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • bettyo70's Profile Photo

by bettyo70 Online Now May 4, 2009 at 9:16 AM

Hi CRAIC,

Well, because we are a group of 6... there are a few senior citizens in our group. So I thought they might get tired taking trains everywhere and walking.

Also we will be driving from the Veneto region.

Cheers,
    Betty

• nicolaitan's Profile Photo

by nicolaitan Online Now May 4, 2009 at 1:37 PM

camogli is a lovely place to visit indeed but parking during the day is near impossible. You might check with your hotel if it doesn't have a parking lot because i would assume they have helped others in your situation. however, if you are staying the cenobbio dei dogi they do have a large parking lot with a manned gate house.
    camogli is reached down a pretty steep winding road from the SS1 so i would hope you are competent with manual transmission. but having a car in this region is so nice. the views from the SS1 south to Santa Margherita are spectacular and if you drive further south to Zoagli for the silk outlets, another beautiful stretch of road. Or up into the hills. And if you head over to Santa M for a dinner having the car to get back in the evening will be most convenient.

by bettyo70 Online Now May 4, 2009 at 2:41 PM

NICOLAITAN: Many thanks! It seems like you know the region very well. Please feel free to post here with more recommendations of places not to be missed. We don't only want to see the super-touristy parts.

Here's my list of maybes so far:

--daytrip by boat to SANTA MARGHERTIA (more for shopping and some nightlife in case we want to go dancing)

--Portovenere (worth a visit?)

--hike from Levanto to Monterrosso

--Camogli (I wouldn't mind doing a walking tour with someone from the town)

--someone said that San Lorenzo north in the hills is a nice area to explore

--a visit to Sestri Levante or Finale Ligure in case we want more of a sandy beach?

Did you buy anything in the silk factory in ZOAGLI?

Thanks again for your advice/thoughts!! --Betty

by nicolaitan Online Now May 4, 2009 at 4:17 PM

hey, betty - note you are from the city and we are out on the island north shore. we have stayed in SML four times first in 1985 and last a few years ago, always with a rental car usually because we were either going on to florence or up to lake como. camogli is small - you can walk it in well under half an hour one end to the other. most of the action is along the terrace east of the castle and the harbor on the west. in sml, there are two centers of activity - one at the traffic circle with several restaurants on the northwest quadrant all equivalent in price and all very good - pastas. no haute cuusine. further west on the road to portofino, more upscale and costly restaurants we never bothered with.
    zoagli is a tiny little village - follow the SS1 thru rapallo. as you approach and leave the elevated bypass, you will see small signs pointing up little roads into the hills. there are several silk outlets up there and we did buy some things. i think we actually went to one beyond the village turning left up a steep hill. they weren't very good at english but understood mastercard.
    we never drove down any further than chiavari which is another nice beach town with hotels along the road fronting the water, somewhat larger.
    parking in portofino is a total disaster - if you can go by boat to there and san fruttoso, do it.
    we love SML and the area - you will be very happy in camogli.

by bettyo70 Online Now May 4, 2009 at 8:56 PM

NICOLAITAN: Grazie / Thanks again!

I'm hoping the weather holds up in September and we can go for a swim when we're there.

• rsm71's Profile Photo

by rsm71 Online Now May 18, 2009 at 1:43 PM

mid-late sept you won't have trouble parking your car for free in the railway station area of Camogli, right where the only road to the village takes you. Just leave the car there and walk to the hotel (I'd suggest Hotel Casmona, right on the promenade if you haven't booked yet).

To answer your next question, I wouldn't miss the following in the area:
    - hike to Punta Chiappa (drive to San Rocco, high on Camogli, if you dont like stairs and steps), short (40mins on your way down to the sea - 1hr back)easy and with great views of the sea, very good for seniors too
    - Portofino just to see the "piazzetta" and walk around, by bus from SML or on foot: the road is small and the walk is pleasent (you can even cut through the hill if you want)
    - Camogli, you already know
    - Sestri Levante, with its "silence bay" (Baia del Silenzio) perfect to swim with its small sandy beach... but late Sept mmm you have to be lucky! 40mins drive from Camogli
    - Cinque terre : consider at least a whole day trip, by boat from SML if the weather holds or by train. You can do Monterosso and Vernazza which is my 1st choice. Plus the "via dell'Amore" walk. And keep 2 hours for Portovenere, not far away.
    - And... I have my own "best restaurants around" list mmmmmm, but I need an official invitation to share ;)

Ciao,
    Ric

• Re: HELP! What to do with a car in CAMOGLI (7 nights)?

by beejay421 Online Now May 11, 2011 at 6:33 PM

Please share your list of restaurants and if you have any lodging tips would love to have them. Planning a trip for late September and need all the help I can get. Many thanks.

by nicolaitan Online Now May 11, 2011 at 6:51 PM

rsm has not checked in since last august so i would not hold my breath for his list. what you will find in sml and camogli are restaurants along the water probably all pretty much the same, with an emphasis on seafood in camogli since it is a working town of fishermen. your hotel will undoubtedly have one to recommend, but feel under no obligation to let them make a reservation for you and get a percent of your cheque.

• Re: HELP! What to do with a car in CAMOGLI (7 nights)?

by beejay421 Online Now May 12, 2011 at 4:44 PM

Thanks for the information on eating in Camogli. We would like to stay in Camogli in a vacation apartment in late September and early October as there will be four of us. We have had no luck finding something that is fairly reasonable and where a car is not needed. Any information we can get in this area would be greatly appreciated.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines