Cameroon Travel Answers

change location

Safe modes of transportations

by cmapuppy Online Now Oct 20, 2004 at 7:26 AM

Travelers, I am a United States student looking to visit Cameroon this summer. What are the safest and most reliable modes of transportation throughtout the country? Erik

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • Re: Safe modes of transportations

by j.l.marsh Online Now May 5, 2007 at 2:47 PM

I just returned from 3 weeks in Cameroon, where I learned that there is no easy mode of travel, but the safest and most reliable appears to be the bigger companies (such as the Diamond Agency in the South West Province) which operate vehicle that look like airport shuttles. They are regularly inspected and have a better safety record than the smaller van-type companies. I traveled through Douala, Limbe, Dschang, and various small towns in the South West and Littoral Provinces. There is a train from Yaounde to the North which I was told by people who have taken it seems safe and reliable. Some airlines have a good reputation, for example, Cameroon Airlines, but I don't know about the others. The cabs in the cities are okay, but they are usually very crowded and most of the drivers drive like maniacs. If you are willing to pay more, you can have the cab to yourself. Motorcycles are everywhere; they carry people and goods cheaply, but do not seem advisable unless you have your own helmet. Good luck. I loved my time in Cameroon. j.l. marsh

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Cameroon Travel Answer Locations