Cambria Travel Answers

change location

Cambria Hotels

by leesville Online Now May 4, 2007 at 8:33 AM

Fogcatcher Inn or Fireside Inn for a family of 2 adults and 2 kids for a 2 night or 3 night relaxing stopover to break long coastal journey san fran to lA in july? Any thoughts or recommendations greatly received. Likewise MOnterey / Carmel as another vt member has kindly recommended breaking trip around there too. Many thanks.

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • bevjerry's Profile Photo

Re: Cambria Hotels

by bevjerry Online Now May 4, 2007 at 6:13 PM

Either Inn would be good here in Cambria. But do make reservations anywhere along the California coast in July. It is the height of tourist season. Things to do in and around Cambria include a visit to Hearst Castle, a visit to the Elephant Seals, beachcombing and of course shopping which will bore the kids.

You might like to consider a day in Monterey to take the kids to the Aquarium and the Maritime Museum. Following that a day traveling south on highway one with stops at the Elephant seals about six miles before San Simeon, ending in Cambria. The next day could be spent at Hearst Castle and if it's the right day of the week a visit to the new Coastal Discovery Center at W.R. Hearst State Beach of maybe just a picnic at the beach.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer

by bevjerry Online Now May 4, 2007 at 6:19 PM

I just checked your home page and see that you are coming from Dublin. That's one of my favorite places in the whole world. When we were last there we went to the Goleen singers club and several traditional music sessions as well.

How old are the kids? And what dates are you coming? I may be able to make some other suggestions based on their ages and interests. Some stuff only happens certain days of the month.

Bev

• Cambria Hotels

by leesville Online Now May 6, 2007 at 4:37 AM

thanks for the advice. do you recommend therefore breaking the journey from sta rosa to cambria en route with a night near / at monterey? does it make sense to head straight from sta rosa to cambria and base ourselves there for 3 nights to explore the coast and chill? we definitely will visit hearst castle and at a stretch the aquarium at moneterey but we would be more beachcombers and seal watchers than museum visitors. we have alot of museums in ireland so are coming to the california coast for the spectacular ocean scenery, good food and a couple of days r & r after a hectic previous 2 weeks. kids are 8 & 11. we do like our comforts but arent flash! Dates likely 8-11 july. we would like a seaside hotel but not a fairground / burger joint type coastal resort. we thought cambria pressed the right buttons. grateful for your insider advice.
    We live on the coast near Dublin. Glad you like our hometown. It's great "craic". Slán!

by bevjerry Online Now May 6, 2007 at 7:25 AM

You've got it quite right for Cambria. You'll definitely want to book a room on Moonstone Beach Drive. None of them are flash and the beach access is right across the street. The Fogcatcher includes a breakfast as I recall. My brother stayed there once and his wife's only complaint was that they actually had to walk outside to get to the building with the breakfast. We have many good restaurants in Cambria and all are fine with customers wearing casual clothing.

I would recommend a day's stop in Monterey for the Aquarium as the drive time between there and Cambria is about three hours along one of the most spectacular seaside drives in the world. I'm told the Aquarium takes most of the day. You'll want to make the drive to Cambria in daylight to enjoy the views. there are lots of places to pull over on the way south.

Do let us know if you stop in Cambria for a few days and we'd love to meet you for coffee.

Bev

• Re: Cambria Hotels

by leesville Online Now May 7, 2007 at 10:53 AM

many thanks bev. before getting your advice i was so close to booking the inn at morro bay and then i read all these reviews about stained carpets and bugs and god knows so will book cambria. will let you know. thanks again. L

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines