Travel Answers
Cambodia

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• eks66's Profile Photo

First solo trip to SE Asia advice needed! !

Cambodia May 14, 2015 at 11:46 AM

Hi! I'm planning on taking my first trip to SE Asia for about 7 weeks (I'm 20, F) and going solo. I was hoping to hit cambodia, vietnam, philippines, and indonesia. I did some research and found great hostels in each place but am unsure about how to even approach the trip (I've gone to Africa solo before but stayed in one place which made it easy). While I want to have the freedom to go wherever whenever i want, Im not exactly comfortable with wandering solo looking for a place to sleep. Does anyone have any opinion on whether or not booking in advance is a good/bad idea, and maybe how long I'd want to spend in each place? Also, any ideas on the best way to travel from country to country?

Thanks!

more
    • eks66's Profile Photo

First solo trip to SE Asia advice needed! !

Cambodia May 14, 2015 at 11:46 AM

Hi! I'm planning on taking my first trip to SE Asia for about 7 weeks (I'm 20, F) and going solo. I was hoping to hit cambodia, vietnam, philippines, and indonesia. I did some research and found great hostels in each place but am unsure about how to even approach the trip (I've gone to Africa solo before but stayed in one place which made it easy). While I want to have the freedom to go wherever whenever i want, Im not exactly comfortable with wandering solo looking for a place to sleep. Does anyone have any opinion on whether or not booking in advance is a good/bad idea, and maybe how long I'd want to spend in each place? Also, any ideas on the best way to travel from country to country?

Thanks!

6 Answers May 14, 2015 at 8:03 PM
    • poepat's Profile Photo

Kampot and Kep

Cambodia Apr 26, 2015 at 2:22 AM

Hi All.....
      We are planning 2016 travels next year and part of them we hope to travel from Ho Chi MInh City to Kep and Kampot .
      We have never visited Kep or Kampot before but look good stop off points en rout to Sihanoukville where we have visited.
      Any information about Kep or Kampot would be appreciated.
      Are they good places to stop off, how long in each, what to see and do.
      We love eco type matters eating and drinking and generally relaxing.
      what would be the best areas to stay in these two places.
      Is it easy to travel from Vietnam (probably Ha Tien) to kep?
      Many thanks
      POEPAT

1 Answer Apr 26, 2015 at 3:51 AM
    • How do we spend 8 Days in Siem Reap?

Siem Reap Feb 22, 2015 at 1:17 PM

We don't have choice because of seat sale that we availed which covers 8 days in Siem Reap. I think that would be way too long and we might get impatient once we have already toured major attractions of Siem Reap. We will be staying in Mandalay Inn Siem Reap. Can you please suggest other places to visit after Angkor Wat, Angkor Thom, Bayon, etc? We are afraid that on our 5th day, there will be no more places to see after we covered the popular ones. Your help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much in advance.

9 Answers Mar 4, 2015 at 7:08 AM
    • Chyan's Profile Photo

Is there any hotel in La Russia Boulevard, Phnom Penh?

Phnom Penh Feb 20, 2015 at 3:21 AM

Hi, Phnom Penh VT,

Is there any hotel near CEIB Building in La Russia Boulevard, Phnom Penh?

3 Answers Feb 22, 2015 at 11:26 AM
    • Chyan's Profile Photo

How to travel to Phnom Penh Seventh-Day Adventist Church?

Phnom Penh Feb 20, 2015 at 3:19 AM

Hi, Phnom Penh VT,

How to travel to Phnom Penh Seventh-Day Adventist Church?

• bardenny's Profile Photo

Can anyone give some advice on organising a holiday?

Cambodia Jan 27, 2015 at 1:49 PM

I am writing this on behalf of a friend, she recently lost her son in a place called Pia (think thats how its spelt) and she is wanting to go back and visit where he was, along with visiting cambodia, vietnam think she mentioned Burma too, probably a few other places. She is talking of going on her own and we, her friends are worried about her travelling on her own as she is in her 70s. We have been trying to see if there are any tour operators that will fit her needs but so far have not come up with any.
      Can anyone give any good advice as to how we could help her organise this trip, she said she did have to travel quite a way to the place her son was staying when he died, Im sure she said there were alot of bends in the mountains to reach this place and would probably need a guide. When she was there I think they flew to bangkok, am wondering if this place Pia could be reached from another destination.
      Thank you to anyone who takes the trouble to read this, hope you can offer some advice.

4 Answers Jan 28, 2015 at 1:38 AM
    • worksopian's Profile Photo

Ibis or Sorya

Phnom Penh Jan 27, 2015 at 2:56 AM

In March I want to travel from PP to Siem reap early morning.

I would like to use Ibis .Can I make advance internet bookings or is it better to book in situ.Is the internet booking reliable.Will it issue a booking ref on payment?
      What about Sorya -where is the booking office and Bus Stations at either end
      Thanks
      ian

5 Answers Feb 1, 2015 at 1:44 PM

Phomm Penh day trips

Phnom Penh Jan 10, 2015 at 6:28 AM

What are good places to visit on a day trip around the Cambodian capital?.Are their any decent Mekong excursions?
      Thanks for your help

4 Answers Jan 11, 2015 at 5:10 AM

Ankor Wat tours

Siem Reap Jan 10, 2015 at 6:13 AM

What company does good Ankor wat day tours?
      Thanks in anticipation of your help

8 Answers Jan 16, 2015 at 8:02 AM

Bus Station

Siem Reap Jan 5, 2015 at 9:16 AM

Where is the Ibis Bus Station located in Siem reap please?

6 Answers Jan 10, 2015 at 6:11 AM
    • Katepots's Profile Photo

Which hotel?

Siem Reap Dec 29, 2014 at 1:14 PM

Hi,
      We want to stay in a spa hotel at the end of our trip but want it to be more Cambodian than big hotel chain. We have seen the Belmond which looks amazing but VERY expensive, is it worth the splurge or are there other hotels you can recommend?
      Thanks.

6 Answers Jan 17, 2015 at 5:37 AM
    • Border/visa

Cambodia Dec 27, 2014 at 1:06 AM

I foolishly bought a flight to Myanmar without checking the criteria for a visa beforehand.

I have 5 months left on my passport instead of the required 6 and have no time to wait for a new passport as I live in Cambodia.

Is there a sort of 'tax' I can pay at the border to ensure entry? I have heard the airport is fairly lenient about some things and since I am only staying for two days I was hoping they would see their way clear to accepting some sort of on the spot payment.

If I do not at least try then I will lose the money for my flight.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

PS...I do not need to have my own foolishness reiterated to me :)

3 Answers Dec 27, 2014 at 2:26 AM
    • Laserone's Profile Photo

Visa upon arrival?

Cambodia Dec 14, 2014 at 2:18 AM

Hi ! ~ Am flying to Siem Reap: do I need to prepare something ahead for the visa upon arrival or can i do it all once landed? Price? Formalities?
      thanks!

5 Answers Dec 14, 2014 at 8:59 PM
    • Mikebb's Profile Photo

High Tea Venues

Siem Reap Dec 9, 2014 at 2:17 AM

We will be in Siem Reap for 4 nights early Feb and I would like to take my wife to a first class hotel or other venue that provides British Style High Tea.

Would also consider any venue providing a Traditional Cambodia High Tea.

When in Bangkok we have visited the Grand Hyatt Erawan Hotel that provides a Thai High Tea ( afternoon), traditional Thai Food. We will revisit in Feb after we depart Siem Reap.

Would appreciate any restaurants ( mid range price & good food) in Siem Reap for evening meals, our hotel is walking distance from Pub Street.

4 Answers Dec 9, 2014 at 8:38 AM
    • another visa question

Cambodia Dec 5, 2014 at 11:33 PM

Hi, I'm a UK citizen planning Avery last minute trip to Asia, Thailand, can odia, possibly Laos and Vietnam. I think it's probably best to get an evisa for Cambodia as saves hassle but I'm not sure if our port of entry. I'm sure I read on their website that you can make amendments but I can't fund that link anymore so wo ndeed if anyone knew about this and whether you have to pay again? Also any tips for a slightly classier place in cambodia for new year?
      Thanks!

5 Answers Feb 13, 2015 at 9:02 PM
    • vpas's Profile Photo

Is this a sensible Itinerary?

Cambodia Dec 1, 2014 at 4:39 AM

I am planning to do a 6 days trip in January along with some friends of mine to Cambodia. This is our itinerary--
      Day1 Arrival at Phnom Penh
      Visit Wat Phom temple; walk along river Mekong
      Day 2
      Visit Tuol sleng Prison, royal palace, silver pagoda and national museum
      Day 3
      travel by road from Phnom Penh to Siem Reap
      Day 4
      Visit Banteay Srey, Walk along Khmer villages in Pheam Pradak, See Palm sugar processing; Pirasat Kravan, Siah Srang; Banteay Kdei, Ta Pholm
      Day 5
      Angkor Thom
      Visit all places near South Gate
      Bayon Temple, Ankorwat temple
      Sunset from Phom Bakheng Hills
      Day 6
      Visit Crong Kneas Village
      Boat ride to Tonle sap
      Go to airport after lunch.

Please also let me know
      1. Is it possible to get vegan food in Cambodia?
      Any other suggestions would be gratefully appreciated.
      Thanks,
      Seetha

3 Answers Dec 1, 2014 at 10:29 AM

Safety and travel

Cambodia Nov 18, 2014 at 3:10 AM

What is the best way to get around PNomh Penh and Siem Reap with a backpack?

Are they safe cities?

Thanks
      Ian

8 Answers Feb 13, 2015 at 9:13 PM
    • ChioQuiroz's Profile Photo

Bus from HCMC to Siam Reap

Cambodia Nov 12, 2014 at 4:13 PM

Hello
      We are about to get a ticket to go by bus to SR and are a little confused by the mixed reviews with Sapaco And melkongexpress. Does any one have recent experiences or suggestions on which one is a better option?

Buses from Bangkok to Siem Reap via Poipet border crossing

Cambodia Nov 11, 2014 at 8:06 AM

I've heard a bit about the scams with the visas at the border crossings going into Cambodia.

Are these scams still active?
      Can a e visa avoid these problems?
      Is their a better way of getting from Bangkok to Siem Reap?

Thanks for your help
      Ian

9 Answers Nov 15, 2014 at 10:42 AM
    • Cambodia in May or July?

Cambodia Oct 31, 2014 at 5:40 AM

I am thinking of going to Cambodia for about 3 weeks either in May or July, 2015. Advice or suggestions regarding the best time to visit (weather, crowds, prices, etc.)
      Thank you.

8 Answers Nov 22, 2014 at 10:32 PM
    • Max passengers for tuk-tuk transport

Angkor Wat Oct 24, 2014 at 2:17 AM

Hi, i'll like to know whether a tuk-tuk able to bring 4 passengers or only two maximum?

Thanks.

2 Answers Oct 24, 2014 at 3:04 AM
    • ChioQuiroz's Profile Photo

e-visa application

Cambodia Oct 16, 2014 at 9:14 AM

Hi
      Has anyone applied for the Cambodian visa thru e-visa that the embassy site offers on its site? Just want to hear some feedback about it.
      I'm planning to but just heard from someone that her travel agent is discouraging her to do it.
      tks

7 Answers Oct 28, 2014 at 11:30 AM
    • Angkor Wat with limited mobility

Angkor Wat Oct 7, 2014 at 3:34 PM

I'l also concerned but unfortunately I couldn't find out what's the best a Taxi or Tuk-Tuk ? Can a Taxi acceed near the different temples or is a Tuk-Tuk more convenient for people with limited mobility ? I'll be there begin of february.

6 Answers Oct 8, 2014 at 12:07 PM
    • Phnom Penh - Sihanoukville taxi

Phnom Penh Oct 2, 2014 at 1:59 AM

Help . Somebody knows the price of a taxi from Phnom Penh to Sihanoukville ? Thanks in advance !

8 Answers Oct 27, 2014 at 5:01 AM
    • Tuk Tuk standard rate

Phnom Penh Sep 30, 2014 at 2:36 AM

Is there still a standard rate for tuk-tuk in Phnom Phen ? Only short distances in the city of course.

2 Answers Oct 1, 2014 at 10:35 PM
    • deepakkrishna's Profile Photo

how to plan cambodia trip

Cambodia Sep 24, 2014 at 10:30 AM

i am an indian n most of my frds & relative travel abroad through a tour operator which i dont like. i love photography & wish to travel alone and make my own itinerary. cambodia is my destination & i wish to document angkor and other temple. i can book ticket & land in cambodia but please guide me on following - if there is need to book budget hotel in advance or after landing we can search, how to take a reliable guide who can get us to the various places, can we search guide through net, if this type of independent tour is gonna be cheaper then the organized tour. i went to singapore & malaysia through organized tour but i was very disappointed by the itinerary and the services.

7 Answers Oct 27, 2014 at 4:39 AM
    • deepakkrishna's Profile Photo

shooting & use of Tripod.

Cambodia Sep 20, 2014 at 9:19 PM

I love photography & I wish to document Angkor temples in Cambodia. If you require to take permission for photography in temples? If use of Tripod is allow in temples & other monuments? If I require to take prior permission to use tripod.
      Please suggest me a reliable guide (registered) who can manage ticketing, accommodation, entry of monuments & temples. if possible please provide me his/her name, Email ID, contact numbers etc.
      Please also suggest any home stay accommodation where i can enjoy local hospitality.

3 Answers Sep 21, 2014 at 9:04 AM
    • FinTrvl's Profile Photo

Clueless in Cambodia

Cambodia Sep 18, 2014 at 8:23 AM

I'm going backpacking in Cambodia in January and I have no clue what to do there. Any Ideas?

8 Answers Sep 29, 2014 at 9:39 AM
    • anilpradhanshillong's Profile Photo

SIEM REAP TO BANGKOK BY SURFACE TRANSPORT

Siem Reap Sep 12, 2014 at 10:56 PM

Has anyone done a road or a road and train trip from Siem Reap to Bangkok recently? Have searched under 'Transportation' in relevant VT pages but could not find any mention.

I have gone through advice in http://www.seat61.com/ and

hobohop.com/hobotips/hobotip... and

tripadvisor.in/ShowTopic-g29...

What was the journey like? Which bus and/or train did you avail of? What was the duration of the entire journey? Was it too tiring and/or stressful? What was your experience at the border crossing? Did you do an e-visa for both Cambodia and Thailand beforehand?

Would be extremely grateful for any advice which is fairly current.

Thank you!

3 Answers Sep 14, 2014 at 9:41 PM
    • lucy321's Profile Photo

bus travel

Cambodia Sep 11, 2014 at 8:04 PM

I'm arriving in Phnom Penh in the morning at the end of September and want to catch a bus to Siem Reap the following morning. (I'll be coming back to PP for a few days at the end…) A friend recommended Capitol buses. Do you think there would be a problem in obtaining a seat for the following day or would I have to try to book in advance? I have no idea how crowded the buses would be at that time of year.

Thanks in anticipation!

Lucy

5 Answers Sep 17, 2014 at 2:09 AM